Best sit on top for big lakes

that you don’t get all wet on. Like paddling on a lake the size of Jocassee. Is it possible to have one and not get wet? Most likely a tandem

but will take solo suggestions.

what is the point of
paddling if you don’t want to get wet. You may as well buy a powerboat?

The Tarpon is a dry ride until the
wind kicks up.In a SOT, you just assume you’re going to get wet.

Hertiage Kayaks Are Pretty Dry
Heritage kayaks are pretty dry and they make some very good ones. They used to make some excellent composite kayaks, if you can find a used one.

The Seda Revenge is also a dry ride.

Even some of the Ocean Kayaks like the Drifter are dry, but it is pretty slow. For a larger lake you probably want something with a little more speed.

Remember when you plug the scuppers on an SOT you are losing part of the safety advantage of having a self bailing boat. I never plug scuppers on the ocean, but it should be fine on a lake.

Like all things - trade offs
Cuda’s choice for drier SOTs are right on. However, some of the drier rides may also have you sitting higher and feeling less stable - and/or may have higher cockpit sides that make getting in and out more difficult (relatively).

If you will be doing anything but paddling - like swimming, fishing, hopping on and off a lot to explore, etc. - I wouldn’t focus on the driest boat.

I you won’t be doing any of those things, and won’t be in wind (spray) and waves (that come over anyway), then maybe go with the driest SOT, but then why get an SOT at all? A SINK an skirt will keep at least half of you (sort of) dry.

I find I’m dry enough on my Tarpon, even with it’s low seat and low rounded cockpit sides. Great all around choice.

No kayaks are “dry”.

I like Tarpon 16 too
And I am a SinK guy.

Good Point
To SOT, or not?

For a large lake, I see no real compelling reason to go with an SOT unless you will be fishing and want a really wide stable ride for fighting the big ones!

An SOT is easier to get in and out of, and it allows diving off, but that is just a matter of convenience.

I am a big avocate of SOTs if you have to cross the surf impact zone, but otherwise it is pretty much just personal preference.

I have the Venus
by Oceankayak. It only weighs around 45 pounds and I love it, but I’m a beginner, this is my first kayak - so what do I know? haha

We Have One Also
Kathy bought a Venus when I bought a Mars. A nice little boat. But our fleet is getting a little out of hand. We have five now.

I Own the Heritage Nomad II and Others
If you can find a Heritage Nomad II in glass (or kevlar - very rare), buy it. Cool boat in waves. It’s the only Heritage which has significant rocker. It is a BLAST in 2 to 4-footers, and is dry in mild flatwater. Not great in wind, but FAST otherwise. 16’ with an effective waterline of around 23".

All the Heritage SOT’s are cool kayaks. I am a dealer, but I bought into them because I love the Shearwater, Nomad II and SeaDart…

I Would Love a Kevlar Nomad!!!

– Last Updated: Jan-28-04 8:23 PM EST –

You are right about finding a Nomad in kevlar. I was looking for well over a year, and there are lots of used high end boats around San Francisco.

I settled for a Shearwater, and got a Seda Revenge for rougher days.

how about the…
Spike by Necky. My wife and I have been talking about a SOT to go with our SINK’s. Can’t have too many boats you know. So far the only one we have seen are the Old town’s. Looking on the net the Spike and its larger cousin, the Dolphin look nice.

Ack
The Dolphin, IS slow, heavy, and has NO stability. and you sit in a puddle of water all the time. My QCC-700 is FAR more stable then the dolphin and its 6 inches narrower!!! The Tarpon is relatively fast, relatively dry, and very stable, and cheaper then the dolphin!!

Tandems
A few good tandems come to mind. Ocean Kayak Cabo, lots of storage, should be dry when paddled solo, it’s on my list of boats to add. Perception Mandalay, tandem version of the Bimini, also a possiblilty for fleet addition. Heritage Tandem, probably the driest ride of the three. You will get wet in any SOT. Great for the warmer weather, in winter gear up with neoprene and paddling jackets and pants.

Yup
I’d say the same (but of course I have the EXACT same boat bias as Swedge, SOT & SINK). I felt unstable in the Dolphin too, but as wide as it is that must just be an adjustment thing (?). The only plus I see is Necky SOTs seem pretty well put together. But so are WS Tarpons.

I ordered a Wenonah Voyager for
paddling Jocassee and other lakes , since I wasn’t ready for a surf ski.It seems like a good solution but since I haven’t even touched one yet, we’ll see. Wenonah says the tandem equivalent is the Minnesota 2.

Have To Agree

– Last Updated: Jan-29-04 12:59 PM EST –

I hear some exprienced ocean going folks out here say the Dolphin is a great play boat in big swells, once you catch on the particluar mojo, but my exprience on a relatively flat Monterrey Bay day was similar to Swedge.

I almost had my mind made up to buy one until I demoed it head to head with a scupper, a Tarpon, and a Mars. I picked the Mars, but just because it is light and because of the way it handles lauching in big shore break. It is too slow for a flatwater boat.

Yes, Swedge, you told me so before I demoed it!

“Settled” for a Shearwater???
My boy paddles the Shearwater, and is he fast. It is one of the “never sell” kayaks in my fleet, along with the Nomad II, a Bell or two, a CD, blah, blah.

I am also a SEDA dealer. I like the Revenge quite a bit, especially in Kevlar. The price is excellent, me thinks…

Hey Jabadata…
Before you jump to something, why don’t you find a demo day where you can try various ones out.

Living in this neck of the woods, I would think you would want a sit in.

I had a Ocean Kayak SOT, and gave it to one of the grandkids since the only time I used it was in the surf at the beach.

Cheers,

JackL