Best time to buy a kayak?

Has she been in the ocean in hers
I’m really curious. It will be two years before I can buy something more sea kayak style and I’ve been warned not to take the Pungo out into the Great Lakes. I have bulkheads also.

Has she been in the ocean in her Pungo?

What kind of safety precautions does she take before going out?

Actually my Pungo seems to handle choppy big inland lakes pretty well, but I have not purposefully gone out on choppy waters. Caution and too many warnings from folks who have more paddling experience makes me fearful at times.

I Would Advise Against It
My rule of thumb for a rec boat is do not take it into any situtation you can not swim out of.

For most peiople that would include the Ocean, or the Great Lakes. I have been in rough weather on Lake Michigan, and it can get pretty rough.

I guess my point is that Kathy excedes what I feel are the safe limits for this type of boat, especially since she has more seaworthy boats available to her.

But not having been a great role model in this regard, she doesn’t pay much attenion to my opinions on the subject…

I’m in Southern MN
I’m in MN… mostly the yak will be used for local potholes. I’ll see if I can give it a demo. Thanks for the advice on the Great Lakes and Ocean. Not sure I would ever want to try that with the WS Pungo.

When you have the money
Dogmaticus

Well
I’ve pretty much got it right now. Just been too busy to go and possibly get it.

have always respected Lake Mi
It has been my understanding that the Great Lakes are far more dangerous to swim off shore in than the ocean. I might be wrong but I thought two of the factors were the water temperatures and the lack of salt.

I’ve been batted around as a swimmer in both Lake Michigan and Lake Huron and thus far known when not to venture out into the waters on foot.

Hopefully your wife has some sense of what she can handle and what she can not. Some days the lakes appear tamer than others.

Oh now see what you’ve started…

– Last Updated: Aug-05-06 1:54 PM EST –

Don't be swayed by JUST a good price.

My father in law always used to say: "What's cheap is not good, and what's good is not cheap." But I suppose it depends what your definition of "cheap" is.

My best advice is do your research, paddle it, ask around, check reviews, decide it's the right boat for YOU, and then look for the best price (new, used, swapped, whatever).

You could easily get stuck with a boat you dislike, just because you were enticed by a great sale price. I know folks who have fallen into that category.

On the other hand, you could buy it, and whether you think it's your "forever-boat" or not, just paddle the hell out of it. Get out as much as possible for the rest of this season, get some experience under your belt, THEN sell it in the spring if you want to upgrade.

Chances are if you don't bash it around too much (like I do with my kayak in Lake Erie) you could get your sale price -- or pretty close to it -- back when you sell it as "gently used". Even if you sold it at a few less dollars than what you paid for it, just think: every time you used it, you saved a rental fee.

And then you buy an EVEN BETTER kayak.

OR..... keep the first one and have two kayaks. Then you can convert your friends into the kayaker-cult, just to keep you company! Bwaaaahaaaahaaaa!

Oh now see what you've done...I'm all giddy just thinking about the THIRD kayak I'm gonna get next Spring.

Happy paddling!

-- Ness