Best time to buy a kayak?

Is there a best time to buy a kayak? In other words is there a time when stores “clear their stock” to make way for new models?

I’m a first time buyer, and my local shop has a Wilderness System Pungo 140 for $499 (slight blemish - light scratch on the hull). It would be mostly used for flat water. Is this a pretty good deal? It’s late in the season, I guess, so I am wondering if I could get a better deal later in the fall or winter. Any opinions would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

XC

Depends where you are…
In Key Largo the sales are on now to make room for the new new shipments. We’re getting ready for the busy season.

Gotta ask yourself what getting out this
… year is worth to you. If you live anywhere north, getting some experience under your belt before spring can be pretty important. Same with getting some experience so you can better understand what you’re reading about over the winter.

Who knows, maybe if you wait till January you’ll get another 10% percent off the current $450 price (provided this blem boat is still there).

My advice: get out on the water.

Demo that boat
That seems like a good price for a Pungo 140. The question is, do you want to own a Pungo or not? That can only be answered by trying it out on the water. If at all possible demo some kayaks before you buy anything.

Good deal!
Sounds like a good deal to me…I think a new 140 goes for about $800. Regardless of price, demo it before you buy. I’ve demoed that particular model before and I really liked it…it’s on my wish list for next year (maybe). Another boat with similar lines and look is the Liquid Logic Stingray series…check it out if there’s a dealer in your area.

Thanks guys
Thanks for all the info guys. I am up North, I am betting the discount I would receive wouldn’t compare to the experience I could still get under my belt before the lakes freeze.

The shop selling the kayak is a large chain outlet, and is nowhere near a body of water. I guess I never asked if they would have loaners to test out. I managed to get out on a Perception Monarch last weekend, and loved it. I also have sea-kayaked a few times on a Scramber XT. Loved that too… I figured the $499 was a good deal on the WS, so I might pull the trigger.

XC

Whenever…
…you can

Best time to buy is when you’ve decided
what you want and have the cash or credit to get it. Just do it.

I have found that the best time
is when the wife is in a very good mood.

End of season … and Jan - Feb …
… Can be good times to buy up here in NE.

In the fall, rental shops often sell off their rental fleet. And some people sell boats they bought at the beginning of the season thinking they’ll like kayaking, then realize it’s not for them, the boat’s wrong, etc. Some folks closing down lake or beach houses decide to get ride of that kayak someone bought a few years ago and no one seems to use.

Look on ebay, craig’s list, or local paddle club web sites.

Dealers start marking down new boats in the fall as well, and there can be good deals after the first of the year on left overs … dealers need to make room for the new models.

I’ve bought new end-of season twice, got good deals … last Jan bought a left over new glass boat at a pretty good price.

As stated, however, the best deal on the wrong boat for you can be a costly mistake … find the right boat(s) first … once you narrowed yourself down to a short list of boats you like, start looking for the deals.

End Of Season
Dealers have to meet quotas. At the end of a season you might get a good deal if you’re lucky enough to find a deal who is stuck with a boat that you happen to want. It’s kind of like buying snow skis. Your best bet on a deal is to buy before the dealer orders for the season. This way you can pick your color and at least save on shipping costs.

Give that man a cookie
Sage wisdom there.

Thats how I get most of my toys. Just got a raise, and it put the wife in a good enough mood that I got a sleeping bag and a life jacket! :slight_smile:

Usually between the hours of
10 am and 6pm. That is when most paddleshops are open.

Thanks!
Thanks for all the advice. I haven’t really been able to find any negative info on the Pungo 140, other than the fact it is missing a front bulkhead. I’m mostly doing flatwater lakes, so I’m not too overly concerned, if all else fails I’ll buy some float bags for the front. Thanks.

put a float bag in it
and paddle it!

Another pricing story
When I got my kayak, it was first on “clearance” for $499, and mine, too, was at a larger chain store. A few weeks later, it was at $450. When they put an orange tag on it at $400, I hugged it and my wallet until I could get it to the checkout counter.

That said, I really have to agree with a couple of posts above. First, make sure this is the boat you want. Second, if it is really the boat you want, are there any second-hand sources in your area like fleets or rentals that might sell one used? A used kayak is usually as good as a new kayak, and you don’t have to worry about putting the first few scratches in it. Plus, you can get a much better deal than the “clearance” price and have money left over for a nice paddle, PFD, sprayskirt, rack, etc., etc…

around here
here being the bay area, october seems to be the best time. Local stores sell off demos and have sales, and there are fewer people looking at the available boats from private sale, perhaps affording you more bargaining power.

mmmm… buying kayaks

Pungo Classic or 140
Great stability.

I think you should get it for no more than $400.00 though.

You will want bulkheads or something to displace water that may get inside.

Eventually you will want something sleeker.

Where are you? You could demo one from someone who has one or two.

Ask local shops about seasonal sales
My local outfitter does a “20% off everything” sale every October during the annual swap-fest, providing two good opportunities for deals - the discount from the outfitter and all the used gear from other paddlers.

Can’t Hurt To Ask
I would walk in ready to buy, and ask for $50 off. If they don’t do it, walk away. Next time they will take you serious.

I paid like $650 for a Pungo 120 with bulkheads and Phase 3 seat, but it was for Kathy and she wanted a specific color, and I was willing to pay retail to get it for her.

The Pungo is a really nice boat. It is very comfortable, and very fast and efficient for a 12’ boat.

My problem is things have not worked out quite as I thought. I figured if we went out in more challenging conditions, like the ocean, or Lake Tahoe, she would just take one of my more seaworthy, but less comfortable, SitOnTops, but she won’t paddle anything but the Pungo. I worry about it sometimes.