best time to paddle?

hiya all hope all is well with you all. i wonder when is the best time to go paddeling for haveing less wind and also less sun exposere. i want to know so when i plan a paddle i can pick the best time to go.today i picked ` pm man that was pretty bad lots of wind and heat

early morning in general …

– Last Updated: Sep-17-10 3:39 PM EST –

...... dawn can be extremely still before the sun heats things up and winds start to raise . Usually seeing the sun rise is a good time for stillness of air .

Of course changes occuring in atmospheric pressures (baro. changes) taking place are the major cause of winds .

It's about as still as it gets in the fog ...

Wind sometimes drops markedly
toward sunset, and the sun is not as hard on you then.

sunrise
or about 1/2 before. Can be magical, especially if you get mist on the water. I was out this morning.

cool lots of great info
i was going a lot a night. but to man spoky things on this lake i see em swiming but never can figure what they are i always assume they will try to climb on yak to rest lol and at that point ill abandon ship .but i do love the stars ya can see so ill try both early am and before dusk for a while

Prism or Magic
I have used a Prism flexcore for the last 3 years and paddle it 300 plus miles per summer. I paddle sitting and use the switch technique. The Prism lets me take about 5 strokes per side before having to switch. It is great on flat water and I have no trouble with it on flowing streams.

I have never paddled a Magic but it should also be a great craft. I also have 2 Sawyer DY Specials. The Prism is more comfortable for fishing than the DYs but the DYs are a little faster.

The sliding seat already in the Prism is an advantage over the Magic but I changed the bucket seat in the Prism to a flat webbed seat which is more comfortable to me.

The Prism does tend to catch a little wind especially when paddled without a load. My Prism is stable enough that I do a lot of goose hunting from mine but not with my 74 lb. lab.

Prism or Magic
I have used a Prism flexcore for the last 3 years and paddle it 300 plus miles per summer. I paddle sitting and use the switch technique. The Prism lets me take about 5 strokes per side before having to switch. It is great on flat water and I have no trouble with it on flowing streams.

I have never paddled a Magic but it should also be a great craft. I also have 2 Sawyer DY Specials. The Prism is more comfortable for fishing than the DYs but the DYs are a little faster.

The sliding seat already in the Prism is an advantage over the Magic but I changed the bucket seat in the Prism to a flat webbed seat which is more comfortable to me.

The Prism does tend to catch a little wind especially when paddled without a load. My Prism is stable enough that I do a lot of goose hunting from mine but not with my 74 lb. lab.

What you are paddling also makes a
difference. A canoe with high sides will be grabbed by the wind, like a kite. A SOT kayak has much less wind grab, and that can make a difference between a good paddling day trip or none.

Heat is heat, but long term direct sun exposure should be avoided.

Morning is best, but what is even …
better, is to plan your trip by using the on line weather channel forecast.

Pick the closest place to where you will be paddling, (many lakes are even listed), and then click on the date. Once that come up, click on the hourly forcast, and that will give you not only the weather but the wind on almost an hourly basis.

If you do it the day before your paddle, it is pretty accurate.

Jack L

Now
or whenever I get the chance. The better question is where

best times
best time to paddle is during the day, or also during the night.

lucky

– Last Updated: Sep-19-10 1:18 PM EST –

im lucky on the where i just paddle in the park behind me that has a lake axcess .but some day i want to trya a river downstream a course paddleing up stream would suck

Why would paddling upstream suck??

figure the water would be 2 difficult
2 paddle against

well

– Last Updated: Sep-19-10 6:31 PM EST –

i think the best time to paddle is day or night..or in the cracks in between...night is special..best for me? galefoce winds and sunshine.that makes me REALLY high.