Better for Day Touring....Jackson Journey 14 vs Old Town Nantucket 14.6?????

@Chuck von Yamashita said:
Might be worth your while to look at The Raven. I purchased a Mariner from a guy who was being selective with who he would sell to. He was asking my weight and experience levels. May seem flaky but he wanted the buyer to have a good experience.

Let’s just say that he communicated in a way that made me feel like he wasn’t going to be home after I drove 5hrs. Or that it would be sold when I arrived. He didn’t take me seriously and basically told me that it was a “race” boat and not for beginnners.

You think an older Raven would fit a 6’1 230lb sz11 paddler?

@TreeA10 said:
I’m a beginner and just got an Eddyline Equinox. I’ve also paddled the Journey. With my size 11.5 Keen sandals or my old running shoes, it’s a tight fit with the feet. Barefoot, it’s great. I’m currently looking to change up my footwear. I’ve only done open lake paddling so far but even in winds 20 Gusting 30 and interesting chop, the Equinox was a stable boat even without a rudder.

Which boat was a “tight fit” for 11.5 running shoes?

If I were you, I would talk to Eddyline about the older Raven and if they can assure you that it would accommodate someone your size, then I would call the guy with the Raven and see exactly what his intentions are and if he really does want to sell the boat, or not. If that boat has been cared for, at $700 it would be a great purchase. Someday, you might kick yourself for not exploring it further.

I did talk to Alex at Eddyline. He said I could probably squeeze into the original pre 2003 Raven, but being comfortable all day would probably not happen. Too many variables with this Raven. I’m just going to have to pass.

@Adventure357 said:

@Chuck von Yamashita said:
Might be worth your while to look at The Raven. I purchased a Mariner from a guy who was being selective with who he would sell to. He was asking my weight and experience levels. May seem flaky but he wanted the buyer to have a good experience.

Let’s just say that he communicated in a way that made me feel like he wasn’t going to be home after I drove 5hrs. Or that it would be sold when I arrived. He didn’t take me seriously and basically told me that it was a “race” boat and not for beginnners.

You think an older Raven would fit a 6’1 230lb sz11 paddler?

Very nicely. It is not a “race” boat. I owned one. Very nice cruising kayak

What about a Widerness Systems Tempest 170 for my size? I see a nice one, although it is double price of both the Carolina 16.

I fit fine (6’, 185#, size 12 feet) in my Tempest 170. The Tempest has been around for quite a while and has received high reviews.

I don’t know about the Carolina 16.0 but I did buy a 14.5 Carolina for my grandson and thought it “plowed” and wasn’t nearly as fast as the Tempest. The tempest also has a skeg which I prefer over a rudder.

I’m going see a Carolina 16 and a Tempest 170. The Tempest 170 looks nice and the reviews are all strong. I talked to the guy and I’m set up to see it Friday afternoon. I hope I fit in it, I really like the Tempest. Think it will work great for the local flatwater stuff that I will do 80% of the time. I’ll just pick up a cheap 12ft boat for running the faster rivers or just rent one when I go.

@Adventure357 said:

@TreeA10 said:
I’m a beginner and just got an Eddyline Equinox. I’ve also paddled the Journey. With my size 11.5 Keen sandals or my old running shoes, it’s a tight fit with the feet. Barefoot, it’s great. I’m currently looking to change up my footwear. I’ve only done open lake paddling so far but even in winds 20 Gusting 30 and interesting chop, the Equinox was a stable boat even without a rudder.

The Equinox. For me, the problem with the shoes is not the length of the shoe but the thicker heel area on both running shoes and my hiking sandals.

@TreeA10 said:

@Adventure357 said:

@TreeA10 said:

The Equinox. For me, the problem with the shoes is not the length of the shoe but the thicker heel area on both running shoes and my hiking sandals.

I understand about the running shoes. Are you talking about the Jackson Journey or the Eddyline Journey?

Well the search is over. I bought a 3 year old Tempest 170 w/skeg. It’s solid yellow. Got the boat, a nice Brunton compass installed in deck, Carbon Werner paddle, NRS PDF, Seat skirt, and a little dolly/cart thing for $900. Long day with a 800 mile round trip. Leg room no problem. Once I removed the Hip pads, I fit perfect. Just snug enough to be connected, but not so snug I would have diffculty bailing out. Lots of adjustment available in seating and thigh pads. Thought the foot brace adjustment was easy and can be done while sitting in boat. Lots of storage capacity. It’s in real good shape and looks nice. I’m not really a yellow kind of guy, but I like the high visability element. It looks good. I’m happy with the deal.

Only negative is some ditz texting on her phone bumped into the rear of the boat in traffic 15 mins after I loaded it up. Didn’t hurt my yak, but it dented her hood on the minivan. It was hanging out a good bit over the tailgate, but under the limit of the law. I had a big 2 ft square orange safety flag on the stern, but that didn’t stop her. I was watching her in my rearview mirror, she was looking down at the phone and just bumped right into it. Once I got out of the Metroplex, it was smooth.

In the end, I decided it was pointless to try and get a “do it all” boat. So I choose a boat that would be good flat water cruising and be able to handle big wide rivers. like the Mississippi and Atchafalya rivers. That is what is local and what will do 80% of the time. I plan on picking up a 12ft river boat for the fast narrow rivers.

I’ll try and get a pic up tomorrow. Thanks for all the help…

Is your boat glass, or poly and either way, I’m skeptical that if the cell phone lady hit it hard enough to dent her hood, it probably at least left a mark on your boat. She needs to buy you a new boat. That kind of driving needs to be penalized.

LOL! I’ll take a new boat. However, if you would have saw the ragged POS 20 yr old “el minivan” she was driving, you would know that there will be no new boat coming.

It’s poly. The stern just slid up the hood about 6 inches beore she stopped. The impact was pretty light and we were going about 5-10 mph. Rush hour stop and go traffic on I-20 in Dallas. Just a tiny little 3/4" nick on the boat. Her hood had like a 6" skinny shallow dent. It matched the other 30 or so dents, to go along with the different color doors, hood, and fenders. She was about 180lbs an no speak a englais. I spent literally 30 secs looking at my boat, then said “pay attention lady”, then drove off. Wasn’t about to spend 2 hrs talking to the police.