Better for Day Touring....Jackson Journey 14 vs Old Town Nantucket 14.6?????

I’m 6’1 230 size 11 shoe

Flatwater cruising 80% of the time. Smaller streams class I and II 10%. Overnight camping 10%

I would like the boat to go straight and be easy to keep going straight. I will never go in the sea or ocean or any other big water. I will go to Arkansas to do the Buffalo River, which looks pretty tame.

I have both the Jackson Journey 14 and the Nantucket near me with a price within my budget. Which one better suits me?

Also, would an older 90’s Eddyline Raven work for my needs?

Such a personal thing it’s hard to say, but the JJ is the best rec boat I’ve ever paddled.

Yeah, I’m going look at the Nantucket on Sunday. Guy lives on the water, so I will go test it out. Unless it blows me away, I want to go and test out the Journey 14. I think the Journey will be better for my needs long term, but it is a bit more money. I could get a nice $200 paddle and good PFD, plus the Nantucket kayak, for the price of just the Journey 14. So there is that.

There is an older 90’s Eddyline Raven for sale. Guy said it wasn’t a beginner’s boat.

If I were you, I would at least go look at the Eddyline Raven. Unless I’m really off base, that boat should be composite (fiberglass) and if it hasn’t been trashed, it should be a beauty. I rate the new Ravens very high on my list of really good sea kayaks.

I don’t know why anyone would say that a Raven is not a beginner’s boat. If it fits you, it would be a great boat to learn in and you will not outgrow it–skill-wise. Take a look at them on the Internet. eddyline.com,

@magooch said:
If I were you, I would at least go look at the Eddyline Raven. Unless I’m really off base, that boat should be composite (fiberglass) and if it hasn’t been trashed, it should be a beauty. I rate the new Ravens very high on my list of really good sea kayaks.

I don’t know why anyone would say that a Raven is not a beginner’s boat. If it fits you, it would be a great boat to learn in and you will not outgrow it–skill-wise. Take a look at them on the Internet. eddyline.com,

It is a year 2000 model Raven, not the newer updated version. It’s 22" wide, wondering how my big self would fit in it? I’m interested, it looks really nice. It’s blue.

The guy selling the Raven seems weird. Like he doesn’t want to sell it to me bc I’m new to kayaks. Too flaky for me to drive 5hrs each way, too many bad vibes. I’m moving on. The more and more I think of how I will use the kayak, the more and more I think the Journey 14 is the one for me at this time. I like to explore stuff, so I think the 14ft length will be good for getting up back into narrow creeks etc…plus when I do some faster moving water, I think the design will be more maneuverable for me. I also think it would be a good 2nd boat to keep for other people to use. I can tell I’m going to end up a few more of these. LOL.

Yeah, it would take a LOT of trust for me to drive 5 hours for a private seller deal. I’ve done 3 hrs and it worked out, but the guy was a member of the semi-local paddling club.

If you’re just getting into this, just get a decent boat for now to gain experience and you’ll really figure out what you want after a season or two. No biggie.

How much does the guy want for the Raven and what kind of shape is it in?

I don’t know the Old Town product, but have paddled the Journey relatively regularly. I am 6’, 215#, and size 11 shoes. Some thoughts:

I looked up the Old Town and was surprised to see it wasn’t listed on the Old Town web site, nor could much info be found online about it. To me, this is not a good sign. Very old? Not popular? I did find one place that talked about a 14’9" version , and said it was some 29 inches wide. That is a big boat and more recreation kayak width than touring kayak. One picture I saw showed a high seat back, which would make a skirt difficult to use.

The Jackson likely would do fine for you. My legs go to sleep if I as in a 13.5 version, but I find the 14 to be comfortable. Being a recent model and from white water heritage, the seats are very adjustable, which means can be made very comfortable.

If you really will be going into class II white water, then the Jackson would be the best of the bunch, but still not great. Using any day touring kayak in class II takes some skills.

@magooch said:
How much does the guy want for the Raven and what kind of shape is it in?

He is asking 700. I just saw a few low quality pics. Could not vouch for the condition.

@Peter-CA said:
I don’t know the Old Town product, but have paddled the Journey relatively regularly. I am 6’, 215#, and size 11 shoes. Some thoughts:

I looked up the Old Town and was surprised to see it wasn’t listed on the Old Town web site, nor could much info be found online about it. To me, this is not a good sign. Very old? Not popular? I did find one place that talked about a 14’9" version , and said it was some 29 inches wide. That is a big boat and more recreation kayak width than touring kayak. One picture I saw showed a high seat back, which would make a skirt difficult to use.

The Jackson likely would do fine for you. My legs go to sleep if I as in a 13.5 version, but I find the 14 to be comfortable. Being a recent model and from white water heritage, the seats are very adjustable, which means can be made very comfortable.

If you really will be going into class II white water, then the Jackson would be the best of the bunch, but still not great. Using any day touring kayak in class II takes some skills.

Nantucket is an older boat. There is a bit of info out there. Yep, it’s big, slow, and stable. A lot of them have bent bows too. Hoping this one doesn’t. I just want to see how it is so I can compare it to the others I will try. No rush. I will go check the Journey out soon too. Guy has a lake where the boat is stored.

The class II rivers I will do will be mild. Buffalo River in Arkansas for example. I’m not really looking to go nuts with the whitewater. I just want to be able to navigate through the rapids. In a canoe, I’ve done the Buffalo and a section of the Rio Grande by Big Bend. So it isn’t crazy stuff. I would like to go back and run them again.

Well the Nantucket didn’t have enough foot room for me… I need a little bit more room for my size 11 feet. So I’m moving on to something else that might have better foot room. Hopefully the Jackson Journey 14 will. Any big footers with a 14ft boat?

Size 15 foot, 6’5" 220 lbs, fit in the Journey just fine. My only complaint was I thought it was a bit heavy.

@Ben said:
Size 15 foot, 6’5" 220 lbs, fit in the Journey just fine. My only complaint was I thought it was a bit heavy.

That is very helpful Ben. Thanks.

I figured any 14ft boat under $1000 would be on the heavy side. I’m using reverse pyschology on myself by telling myself that a heavy boat will probably be good for me, being my first kayak. LOL. I’m sure my 2nd boat will be a lightweight.

What about a Perception Carolina 16ft? Think it will work for a first kayak? It seems big enough for me based on the reviews. It will be good for 80% of what I “plan” to do with it. The price is right too, super cheap. About 1/2 the price of the Journey 14.

I’m a beginner and just got an Eddyline Equinox. I’ve also paddled the Journey. With my size 11.5 Keen sandals or my old running shoes, it’s a tight fit with the feet. Barefoot, it’s great. I’m currently looking to change up my footwear. I’ve only done open lake paddling so far but even in winds 20 Gusting 30 and interesting chop, the Equinox was a stable boat even without a rudder.

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/journey/

some good features…two compartments fore and aft, life line rigging, bungee deck rigging, slot for rudder kit, 275 to 310 # capacity…? That means 310# (cap) less 230# (you)= 80# of gear and supplies. Are you a good backpacker camper? Water for three days is 24#. Boat weight in the 60# isn’t too bad for a plastic boat with those features. However remember every boat seems like it weighs more at the end of the paddle.

Might be worth your while to look at The Raven. I purchased a Mariner from a guy who was being selective with who he would sell to. He was asking my weight and experience levels. May seem flaky but he wanted the buyer to have a good experience.

@Overstreet said:
http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/journey/

some good features…two compartments fore and aft, life line rigging, bungee deck rigging, slot for rudder kit, 275 to 310 # capacity…? That means 310# (cap) less 230# (you)= 80# of gear and supplies. Are you a good backpacker camper? Water for three days is 24#. Boat weight in the 60# isn’t too bad for a plastic boat with those features. However remember every boat seems like it weighs more at the end of the paddle.

I’m not so concerned about storage at this point. I may camp once or twice a year. Even so, I bet there is a strong chance I won’t even be in this boat when I finally get around to an overnight trip. Looking more for fit/comfort, availability, and cheap. LOL.
I’m looking at 16 ft boats too now.