Beware of the Academic Surveys - Personal Surveys - Cold Contacts to your Email or Social Media

Several times per year, there are posts here from people who appear to be doing marketing, but claim to be doing an academic survey for a class project. The recent disclosures about Cambridge Analytica on Facebook shows that organizations fishing for information create phony edu mailing addresses and fake documentation that they are from an academic organization. They get a hold of email addresses and and social media account names, and then vacuum up your contacts and all the info that they can glean from you as a friend of their contacts. Be careful. Don’t feed the fishers. If someone makes a post and it’s their only time they comment on the boards it would be best to ignore them. It’s possible for bots to make “intelligent posts” from content on the page using AI techniques.

Thx

Yes I saw that on the news about Facebook. My question are who are the people that are stupid enough to put any accurate information on face book. I have all false info on personal info like were I live or birthday or anything worth getting. Sure they can see my kayaking pictures but I don’t care. If I get ads for kayaking stuff all the better. I don’t get it why people on facebook put information like there birthday, as its one step closer to steal your identity. My facebook birth date I have as I was born in 1910.

@dc9mm said:
Yes I saw that on the news about Facebook. My question are who are the people that are stupid enough to put any accurate information on face book. I have all false info on personal info like were I live or birthday or anything worth getting. Sure they can see my kayaking pictures but I don’t care. If I get ads for kayaking stuff all the better. I don’t get it why people on facebook put information like there birthday, as its one step closer to steal your identity. My facebook birth date I have as I was born in 1910.

Amen!

I realize its not really justified, but at times like this I can’t help taking a bit of pride in never having been on Facebook or Twitter or Reddit. I’m happy to report that life has been a worthwhile experience even without enriching Zuckerberg and his ilk. Depriving such folks of info (true or false) that they can sell is, I believe, a worthy endeavor, though I doubt I’ve dealt anyone a major blow by doing so. Same with the surveys that occasionally show up here, though thank you SeaDart for the reminder - it can’t hurt. Viva la print!

When I first heard of Facebook I thought it was a joke. I’ve been waiting for the punchline ever since.

Quizzes pop up on ads here
This topic is headed with one.
No thanks
Facebook isn’t the only enemy

I’m in total agreement with PJC.
I don’t participate in information gathering “hustles and scams”; especially, the “help me with my masters thesis” hustle.
The only comment I’d offer them would be, “Get a life” !

BOB