Big Cypress National Preserve

I’m heading down to Fla in acouple of weeks and one of the days we will go over to the swamp.

Is there any casual paddling there for a day?

I went to their web site and didn’t see anything about it.

I don’t have any preference between a canoe or kayak.

Also

I read that there are areas in Florida ancient dug out canoes are being found now that the water is low …are those in the same general area or in a completely different part of the state ?

thanks

Big Cypress National Preserve
Lots of day paddles.

Nicely marked

We used 18’ sea kayaks, no problems.

Easy paddles, you could take the grandkids.

Typical boat launch site will likely have a resident alligator waiting for handouts. Don’t encuourage them. Gators just want to avoid you.

Here is some info
for a good trip.

I copied it from my book of 65 kayak trips that I have been compiling over the years.

Unfortunately when I copied it it didn’t come out in the same format, but you should be able to follow it.

EAST RIVER CANOE/KAYAK TRIP

EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK

(Florida, West Coast South of Naples)

Trip Length - 6 miles out and back

Short Description: Leave from a wayside put-in. travel down river through a series of small ponds and mangove tunnels and return.

Best weather conditions: Any time since the route is sheltered from the wind.

Comments: - Pick up a free map of the route at the Everglades N. P. headquarters in Everglades City

- In addition to the map the use of a GPS is advised

- Water clarity is poor, but in some of the mangrove tunnels it is a beautiful golden tea color

- If you have never paddled in a mangrove tunnel, this is an ideal trip to see what one is like

- The water is tidal influenced

Directions: - Heading north on route 41, (The Tamiami Trail) go 5 miles past highway 19 and watch for a hidden dirt drive on the left.

- the drive goes in for a few hundred feet to the launch area, and there is room for two or three vehicles

- the launch way points are No 1:

25-55-875

81-26-656

The trip: - Head across the pond and past an island to the first hidden mangrove tunnel No.1 Entrance - Coordinates No. 2

25-55-678

81-26-560

- this will lead you to a long canal starting with coordinates No.3

25-55-657

81-26-489

- At the end of the canal you will enter mangrove tunnel No.2- coordinates No. 4:

25-55-186

81-26-49

- This will lead you to a small pond at coordinates No.5:

25-55-078

81-26-467

- there will be a prairie on the right - Look for the entrance to Mangrove

tunnel No.3 on the left at coordinates No.6:

25-55-025

81-26-489

- This will dump you into Lake no. 1 at coordinates No. 7:

25-54-997

81-26496

- At the end of that lake you will enter Mangrove tunnel No. 4

at coordinates No. 8:

25-54-804

81-26-528

- In this tunnel you will come to a “T” at coordinates No.9:

25-54-711

81-26-543

- At the “T” turn left toward coordinates No.10

25-54-701

81-26-543

- This will lead you to Lake no. 2 at coordinates No. 11:

25-54-537

81-26-622

- At the end of the lake you will enter the last and longest Mangrove tunnel no. 5 at coordinates No. 12

25-54-478

81-26-714.

- When this route was done in March of 2007 after a short distance in Mangrove tunnel no. 5, there was a major blockage of trees and brush from previous hurricanes and it was impassable. The mileage as listed above is from the turn around point.

- If the route is clear, it should be self explanatory from Mangrove tunnel No. 5

on, which dumps you into a large lake and from there on the river widens until it enters Fakahatchee Bay

Another great trip is the Turner river.

You can pick up a map at the ENP headquarters in Everglades City.

I have a bunch of good off shore trips out of Everglades City and in the 10,000 Islands.

Hope this helps a bit,

Cheers,

JackL

The dug-outs of which you speak
were found in Lake Okeechobee.

thanks
is that anywhere close or in a different part of the state?