“Big guy boats” used by regular sized paddlers?

There are several solid threads on this forum addressing suitable kayak options for big and tall guys. My general question flips this around a little: how well do “big guy” boats work when paddled by average size paddlers?

This afternoon I sat in several different boats, including the CD Sirocco, CD Sisu and Eddyline Denali (now called the Sitka XT). The Denali is known to be a big guy boat. I quite liked it. It had a large cockpit, tons of leg room, high deck, comfortable seat, and was quite light. I am 6’4” but was wondering how more average paddlers would do in this boat if needed? This boat felt quite roomy, even for me, but the saying “you wear a kayak” makes me wonder?

You need to be able to have contact with thigh braces etc to properly control a boat. If the thigh braces are six inches away from your thigh you can’t manage the boat.
The too-small paddler is now getting a boat with too much volume up to easily get it up to speed.
A too-light paddler is not sinking the boat to its waterline. It’ll be tougher to control in wind.

And when you start to trying to roll you will get it. No good contact = no roll.

@Celia,

Thanks for the background. I did not paddle this boat, just sat in it on the grass and inspected it closely. There was lots to like about this boat. It would be an easier boat to car top, etc. It also felt very comfortable and I liked the small day hatch in front of the cockpit. The Denali is shorter and a little wider than most touring kayaks, but its overall roominess might limit the potential to just big dudes…

A way too-big boat can limit where and what conditions you can paddle in. In challenging paddling conditions it matters that a boat fits OK

It was interesting to compare the Denali with the Sirocco. The Denali felt more refined, balanced and noticeably lighter when hoisting it up to chest level. The Eddyline seat was more comfortable as well. The Sirocco cockpit felt smaller, the deck lower and the boat just looked cheaper. But my tall body felt pretty good in the Sirocco with solid points of contact that would most likely work better with more paddlers? The Sisu felt and looked very nice, but $$$…

I did all this tire kicking at the Kayak Academy near Seattle. Barb, who seemed to have a long history there, was super nice. We happily chatted for about 45 minutes. When I mentioned I did my kayaking (newby) on Orcas Island she immediately asked if I had met Shawna and Leon at Body Boat Blade? When I explained how wonderful they have been her face just lit up and she clapped her hands! Super cool moment that just highlights how connected the kayaking community is…

The first kayak I paddled was a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145, designed for someone much bigger and taller than I. (I’m 5’6” and 135.) I still liked kayaking, luckily, since otherwise I might have given it up before I even started, but this boat offered me zero contact and I essentially just sat in the middle and paddled it as if it were a rowboat. The paddle constantly hit the sides of the boat and I jammed my fingers against it. The very first moment I tried I smaller boat I knew it was 100% better for me and was way more fun to paddle, despite that I now know that boat was also substantially too large for me. So, I would say a smaller person’s ability to enjoy kayaking is greatly affected by the boat size.

If you’re looking for a big guy boat for big water, you should be looking at an NC Expedition. They’re built near Tacoma. This boat works for almost anyone, but you will have to upgrade your paddling skills.

There is a used 17’ NC Expedition for sale ($1500) on Whidbey Island.

I have two boats currently, a Romany Surf and a Dagger Stratos L. I am becoming more comfortable in both. When I am stationary the Romany still feels tippy but that goes away once I am moving. I keep both boats on Orcas Island.

But I spend more time based in Seattle. I drive around with an empty kayak rack and have some free time. So, I am taking my time looking at used options for a third boat that I can keep in Seattle. But I hope to find a boat that could also work for planned gatherings for guests on the island as well.

The Denali might be too much of a “big guy boat”. It fits my frame. I am reasonably flexible for being age 57 and 6’4”. The Sirocco felt lower and had better (tighter) contact for me which might make it a better loaner…

@PhotoMax said:
It was interesting to compare the Denali with the Sirocco. The Denali felt more refined, balanced and noticeably lighter when hoisting it up to chest level. The Eddyline seat was more comfortable as well. The Sirocco cockpit felt smaller, the deck lower and the boat just looked cheaper. But my tall body felt pretty good in the Sirocco with solid points of contact that would most likely work better with more paddlers? The Sisu felt and looked very nice, but $$$…

The Sirocco is PE where the Denali is ABS. You are comparing apples and oranges.
See if you can find a Gulfstream which is the composite version of the Sirocco and a very nice boat.

Just noticed that the used asking price on that NC17 is now $1295…

Also got my eye on a Gulfstream 2000 for $990.

Seattle is a tough spot to be if you want to avoid used kayak temptation…

I think at your height, you might have a bit of trouble squeezing into the 17’-2" NC. I’m 6’-2" and I needed my seat set back as far as it could be in my Expedition. The seats are not adjustable, but can be moved back about an inch when they are being built.

It you do have a look at the NC, I will warn you that these boats track like they are on rails, so you have to learn how to maneuver them. I’ve said this over and over that you must learn to bow rudder. You should learn this anyway for any boat, but the NC forces you to. This is not a loaner boat to newbies.

As for the Sirocco, this is a boat that can do anything and is extremely happy in the rough stuff. Like any poly boat, you do have to make sure the hull is straight and there are a couple of modifications that are essential. If it has the factory backband, you will need to put bigger bungees on the back to hold it up where it belongs. If the tape around the faux seem hasn’t been reglued, or removed, figure on sticking it on with silicone adhesive. The stock bungee cords on the deck should be upgraded to the next bigger size also.

If by chance you acquire the Sirocco, use the skeg. It’s on the boat for good reason. Mine is almost always half deployed–even going to windward–fully when surfing.

What magooch said… seats can be moved back. I’ve done this with most of my boats to accommodate my long legs. I have a very tall, lean buddy at approx. 6’5" / 180 lb who paddles a Tempest 165… with the seat moved back. Works great. I hate paddling too much boat so I get the right size and move the seat back.

I think you’d do fine in a regular guy boat like a Tempest 170 and move the seat back. It’ll feel way more ‘wearing the boat’ and your regular sized friends won’t be overwhelmed.

Thanks Guys!

This is my first season of paddling. Getting time away has been a challenge. But I am enjoying the learning process. I have also had a few opportunities to paddle and sit in different boats which has been illuminating: they may look the same but feel quite different from each other. I plan on taking some time off in September and October and hope to get some quality seat time in.

After my first very wobbly outing in my Romany Surf I was thinking this would NOT be my keeper boat. My instructor (owns a kayak tour company) was expecting me to go for “around three swims” in my next outing but I have managed to stay dry. Time does help!

It looks like there will be several good options locally for another used boat, so I am in no rush…