big guy boats

Eddyline Nighthawk 175

– Last Updated: Oct-04-11 8:28 AM EST –

Not too far off from your size, a couple of inches shorter, but pay more attention to morphology (body shape: thigh size, waist and butt size larger or more top heavy?) when assessing comparative fit than just height and weight. Suit size is more relevant, e.g. 50L x 46.

The Nighthawk 175 has plenty of room for me and well more leg and foot room than I need. If there's a better or bigger big guy boat out there than it, I haven't found it. Plus, their carbonlite construction is better than poly. Try one if you have the chance.

I also fit well in the Tsunami 145 or 175, but neither has the room of the NH175. The 175 paddles better for me. The CD Solstice GT Titan should work too but I haven't had a chance to try one and it isn't poly. I am also looking forward to trying at some time the CD Isle 18, which seems to be one of the better designed from the ground up big guy kayaks offered (besides the Highthawk 175) since the demise of the Necky Pinta.

Forget the QCC 500; I broke one of their boats trying to get into it. Their "big boat" cockpit is ridiculously small to be advertized as a big guy kayak.

It is interesting to hear recommendations for big guy kayaks unless they are from "big guys" who have tried and paddle them. I guess everyone has a different idea of what constitutes big, or how they think of themselves.

1 Like

Nigel Foster Shadow…
Big boat, lots of room…

Big Guy Boats
A recent blog on just that topic. http://paddlingandsailing.blogspot.com/2011/07/best-kayaks-for-fat-paddlers.html

My husband, a bit shorter (6’3")and lighter(don’t dare guess) really likes the Zephyr, he’s posted his review here on padddling.net and you can see it in action at our blog (search “penobscotpaddles”)

My brother is 6’5" as well but heavier than you. He’s had trouble with leg space on all kayaks we’ve tried. He wound up building a Chesapeake 18 and moving the bulkhead forward a few inches. That is sort of a clunky boat though, the high deck and back give it great volume, but it is hard to roll or even self rescue.

Best of luck!

thanks to all
for all the suggestions. seems i have a lot of boats to try. what about c/d isle? what say you?

Current Designs Solstice GT Titan
The Solstice design has been around a while and modified along the way. It is a fine boat and the GT Titan works very well for larger people. Yes, it is a glass boat. But the extra $$ is worth it. Check it out at: http://www.cdkayak.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=142&SID=2f05d6766e61c3ba7eb74125c8ca417a

2 Likes

I’m 5’10 - was 260 now 240
I am on my way down as you can see. But I was looking for a boat recently as well. My very limited take is if you are looking poly you might want to sit in a Tsunami 165 which fit me fine at 260 and also I agree about the Zephyr 160 recommendation which has a fit similar to the Tsunami 165 (ie. big enough for me) but that is a different kind of boat (very lively with softer chines and a lot of rocker) and might not be your cup of tea. I love the Zephyr but put it primarily in the day boat or weekend boat category primarily, but not exclusively. All the other suggestions you have gotten sound good too.

I’m adding a new addition to the Big Guy touring kayak knowledge base so it’s searchable

The new Stellar S14HV just arrived at The River Connection yesterday and contrasting it with the other S14 series it will nicely handle a larger paddler but not feel or perform like a raft like rec kayak

I’ll have a more detailed review up soon but here’s some prelims;

|Length:|14’ 9” / 4.5m|
|Beam:|25.6” / 65cm|
|Depth:|14” / 35.5cm|
|Paddler:|5’ 3”-6’ 5”/ 1.6m-1.95m|
|Capacity:|386lbs / 175kg|
|Cockpit Opening Width:|18.9” / 48cm|
|Cockpit Opening Length:|34.3” / 87cm|
|Coaming height aft:|9.7" / 24.5 cm|

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Email: marshall@the-river-connection.com
Facebook: [The River Connection, Inc. | Hyde Park NY]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

2 Likes

WS Tempest 180. It was almost too big for me at 6’5 " and 240.

One of my good friends (Thor) is also 6’ 5" and is 265 lbs. he has an older Perception Sea Lion Eclipse, which he does well in. He does “max it out” however. Another of my friends (Ray) has a Necky Looksha 5 and he’s a big man too at 6’ 2" and 255 lbs. But his kayak is a bit larger then Thor’s kayak, yet both can paddle the other’s kayak and do fine.
As far as what is made today in plastic, I know the Tempest is available from Wilderness Systems, and so is the Fathom from Eddyline. There is also the Scorpio 2 High Volume imported from Britain made by P&H. Also the Delta 17 from Canada is available, but I have heard complains that it’s combing is too shallow and doesn’t hold a skirt very well, but having not paddled one myself I can’t say for sure.

A good friend (6’4’ and about 225lbs) has an Old Town Cayuga 160 about 15 yrs old. Thigh pads are well-placed, comfy seat (so I hear) and plenty of storage. A bit on the heavy side, maybe 55-60 lbs, but not out of line for a 16’ poly boat. Keep an eye on the used market as these can be quite inexpensive vs the higher end brands.

I don’t get why manufacturers design seat backs that are higher than the rear coaming. The spray skirt has to fit over that.

The seat that came with my Pygmy Murrelet was the same way and was quickly replaced with a low seat band.

Greenland style kayaks tend to have a lot of capacity.

East & West Greenland qajaqs tend to be rather low volume. Some of the Aleutian & other Arctic SOF craft can be higher volume.

CD boats

Solstice GT

Solstice GT HV

Solstice Titan 35" long cockpit 15.5" high deck.

Nomad / Extreme preferably HV

I was 6’ close to 260 at one point in all the boats above. Now 6’ 225.

Solstice HV has 3/4" higher deck. Many don’t think that little bit makes a difference but it does.

Easy entry lots of room for you legs pretty fast and very stable CD Titan. Is the best choice.

2 Likes

“High volume” guy here, 6’ 2", 240 pounds, muscular thighs, 40" waist, size 12 wet suit boots

Muscular thighs make getting comfortable under the thigh braces a big challenge, so here’s the boats that work for me:

• Wilderness Systems Tsunami 175 rotomolded - paddled 3 years
  • Valley Etain 17-7 rotomolded - paddled 3 years
  • Dagger Stratos 14.5L rotomolded - on order, tried one on a club paddle

Boats that did not work for me:

• Wilderness Systems Zephyr 160 rotomolded

• Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 rotomolded

• North Shore Atlantic rotomolded

• , ** Valley Sirona 16.1 rotomolded

• , ** Current Designs Sirocco rotomolded

• Scorpio MkII HV rotomolded

• Delphin 155 rotomolded

• P&H Virgo HV rotomolded

• thigh braces too low/tight on me
    ** foot pegs could not be moved far enough away for me

1 Like

I’ve been to several Greenland skills camps where a fair number of attendees have their own custom built skin-on-frames. There are a few pretty big guys (like football player size and build) that had boats built for them with expanded dimensions tailored to their proportions and weight. The one I paddle was custom built, though not for me. The guy from whom I bought it had it slightly tweaked from the Harvey Golden surveyed original to add a standard keyhole cockpit and to lift the foredeck for more volume in the bow. He was taller than me but I have long legs, especially hip to knee, and I can sit in it either straight legged or “frogged”, with my knees up against the deck.

Sisiutl_on_Mon
Sisiutl

1 Like

I once had a Cayuga 146 and really liked it except for the weight. Very stable, good speed, good storage space in the hatches for camping, seat was fairly comfortable. IMPORTANT: The Cayuga was first made in a great 3-layer material called Polylink3. It was a lot stiffer than regular rotomolded plastic. Later Old Town switched to a single-layer plastic so thin you can see through it. PolyLink3 is easy to recognize: the interior is beige. Very good material if you can find it. One caveat: you can’t puncture PolyLink3 because the kayak will absorb water and you will never get it out, resulting in a heavier kayak.

I’m a bigger guy (6’1" 235-40) and have the Dagger Stratos 14.5L and the NDK Romany Excel, both have room to move. More room in the NDK by a shade, and I know of a paddler that also has one that’s 6’4" 265, size 14 shoes. Both great kayaks, but for different reasons.