Big Guy Sea Kayaks - The List

The width and skill level
of the kayak is relevant to anyone else considering a new kayak especially if someone is “big”.

It’s the combination of …
Height, weight, and shoe size that matters. Most boats can accomodate at least 2 of the 3 extremes. My particular problem with the force 5 was the combination of shoe size 15 and long legs (I’m 6-4"). This pushes the fott pegs way down where the deck is not as tall (on any boat) and the large feet are really crowded there.

A shorter person (under 6’) will have no problems even with large feet.

The seat was OK I though for my waist 36, but again it depends on body structure. I fit just about perfect in a Tempest 170 without the hip pads with very little space around me. My friend with a 40+ waist and probably 200+ at 5’11" or so squeezes in the Tempest 170 as well, but he is actually probably a smaller bone than me - just fatter butt. You can compress a fatter butt fine, but you can’t compress wide bones -:wink:

That Depends
I often feel like people paddle boats that are too snug, too “low volume.” My opinion is based upon my high performance paddling goals in open water. For this type of paddling, my goals are better met with a loose fitting cockpit and a boat with a good amount of reserve bouyancy.

I have taken that to the extreme with a surfski. There is nothing snug about a surfski and these boats excel in big ocean water and are the fastest human powered craft is these conditions. My forward stroke continues to improve as I am now increasing my rotational power by incorporating more leg action. This would not happen in a snug fitting boat.

I am not saying one style of paddling is better than another. Just saying that if your paddling goals lean towards paddling further and faster with less effort even in big water conditions, toward the style of surfskis, then a looser fit is better.

Island
If the Island Expedition is still made you could add it to the list.

I believe the NW boats are still being made as is the Mariner.