Big guy solo canoe for trips and fishing

I’m 6’2" and 240 lbs. Looking for advice on purchasing a canoe for combined camping and fishing trips. The boat needs to be able to handle fairly large open water. I spend time in Algonquin every year and usually paddle tandem but will likely be solo this year (but still with a group). Speed is not a significant concern and I would gladly trade off for more stability especially in wind and chop while trying to land Lakers or Pike.

Swift Shearwater?
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/4952755751.html

You’d have to make a road trip.

Bell Rockstar in MI
http://www.paddling.net/Classifieds/forSale.html?category=canoesell&state=MI In paddling.net classifieds.

16’ tandem canoe about 36" wide
Paddle it backwards from the bow seat. This works best when the hull has a symmetrical water line and rocker line.

Most Canadians seem to paddle solo in tandems.

To get closer to the center of the canoe than the back of the bow seat, so you have better reach for bow strokes, and so you are sitting nearer the widest part of the canoe for maximum stability, you can install a temporary solo seat or cushions near the center to sit on.

My suggestion assumes that you are not experienced with solo canoe control, and that you are only going to use this canoe occasionally on fishing canoe camping/fishing trip with gear rather than as a frequent day paddling or exercise canoe. If those assumptions are incorrect, you can consider some of the larger dedicated solo canoes that already have been suggested. However, they still will be tippier than a 36" wide tandem canoe.

Hemlock eaglet 1

Wenonah Encounter
The Wenonah Encounter would be my choice. It will handle a big load and adverse conditions and is pretty efficient.

I agree
with the recommendation to paddle a 16 foot tandem backward as a solo. I routinely use a 16 foot Prospector that way. It is fairly stable and affords me good load carrying capability.

Peter

Thanks
Thanks. Most of my paddling is in a kayak (2-3 days/week during the summer). We tend combine paddling and fishing quite often. My son is ready to upgrade his kayak and so I was considering buying a canoe for my daily paddling and letting him have my kayak. I would then have a canoe available for the occasional camping trip. Portaging a kayak seems terrible. I don’t have any experience fishing in a canoe solo. Netting a fish on a windy day with some chop seems dicey which is why my interest is in stability.

good
idea…take a test paddle. These hulls are reviewed here in Padnet.

Wenonah Wilderness
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/4956264009.html

Wenonah Rendezvous
http://ksu.craigslist.org/boa/4921379306.html

Yeah, I like that design.

fishing
from a solo canoe is usually a pain - wind and or current is always pushing you out of position, and trolling is more difficult (best to rig a rod holder of some sort - I don’t) - that will be so no matter what solo canoe you get. More often than not, I’ll just park the boat and fish from shore - so much easier.

But I do fish from my solo’s - once you get used to your boat, stability is usually not a problem. They do sell sponsons/outriggers that can be attached for more stability - but they are only suitable for day tripping, or lake trips wothout any portages. Using a net would be a plus, but I’ve always managed to do without - you just have to be concentrating on your balance while landing a fish - keep your center of gravity in the center of the boat and only exten your arm over the sides - kneeling to land a fish will also help stability.

I have a Royalex Rendezvous - that composite version someone linked to would be a good choice for you - I know several peoplw who have them, and a couple of those guys are over 200lbs. That boat s/b less than 50#s in that layup - I’d guess more like 45 which should be ok for Algonquin portages

since you also seem to be looking for a day use workout boat ? you might also consider the Wen Prism - its noted for its stability and very popular as a BWCA boat - lots of people fish from them.

Thanks
Thanks for the suggestions. I do like to troll while I paddle and typically use a rod holder but will sometimes just tuck the butt of the rod under my leg. I appreciate all the good advice from the board.

Rendesvous flexcore
rated for rocks ?

Hence "flexcore "