BIG MAN solo canoe.?

hi all.

looking for sudgestion for a bigman solo canoe.

ok lets make it at 250 pound man.

want to be able to use a doble blade.

90% flat water and mabe.mabe some mini rapids frome time to time.

no canoe camping or long tripping.

solo…nobody hesle in the canoe and no dog.

thanks to all response.

joco

What’s your budget?

You’ll get much different answers if you can drop $2500 vs $600. Might as well start out with that parameter in mind.

my budget.
would like to keep it under 1500$…but i dont care to get a used one to.

paddling ex.

i got now

2natives ultimate 14.5 solo

1 tarpon 140

1 trident 15

tarpon 100

and had a few canoes and other yaks. but no solo.

i have taught.mr freedom solo//esquif canyon //supernova and other rx boats…but those are not that great in flat water and tracking,.

and i might use them abit in some smaller water and creek…and were i paddle theys a load off rocks and logs etc.

joco

best bet?
you might be best off to keep an eye out on Pnet classifieds, Craigslist, and Ebay for a Sawyer Loon.

that helps narrow it down a lot
If I understand, you don’t want to go used. Not sure why because there’s nothing wrong with used. But taking “not used” as a given, you’re probably into either Royalex or maybe Wenonah’s Tuf weave. For the primary flatwater use you’re talking about, Wenonah is a good place to start.

I’ve got their Solo Plus in royalex. It’s a good big-guy boat. Wenonah now has the shorter and more rockered Wilderness. But probably better than both would be their Prism which isn’t available in rx but you can get it in Tuf weave.

I think he said he did not mind
buying a used boat. Also, the area that he lives in would be important. I can’t find many good solo canoes here in south Florida. Once in a while they do come up.

Where are you located Joco?

1 Like

Old town Penobscot 16 ??
I have friends, (big guys) who paddle them solo.

Just put a center seat in.

Jack L

Used Sawyer Loon
If you can find one.

thanks

– Last Updated: Sep-25-10 1:47 PM EST –

beachcumber.

i am in ottawa/ontario*/canada.

AND clarion
and yes prob used is ok wit me.i dont care a few scratch anyway.I GUES I DID NOT MAKEMYSELF CLEAR I DID SAY I WOULD BY USED..I ALREADY BAUGHT A FEW USED.SAVE A LOAD FOR FEW SCRATCH I WILL MAKE SOME ANYWAY.

what you guys think about a BLUEWATER MIST,,????

FOR A MAN THAT WILL WEIGHT 220 APROX...IN SPRING BUT NOW I AM 245 OR 250 OR SO...BUT WILL BE BACK DOWN BY THE TIME I WILL PADDLE IT.

SO WHAT YOU GUY THINK..I WONT TRIPP OR CAMPING ITS SIMPLE SOLO CANOEING.

IS THAT BLUEWATER MIST WILL DO THE JOB.?
THE ONE I SAW IS A KEVLAR ONE.
ITS THE SAME BOAT AS THE SAWER MIST.

JOCO

Dagger Sojourn
All of your requirements make me think that a Dagger Sojourn would be a perfect choice. I have one and just read the reviews section for first hand info.

Big boy solo
Wenonah Solo Plus…

Maybe the Grumman solo would be good
Check it out.

Wenonah Voyager, Advantage.
PBW Rapidire. Monarch makes a couple of nice ones.

There are three
Solos for big guys: Bell’s RockStar, Nova’s Siper Nova and Wenonah’s WIlderness.

If you’re going to use a double blade paddle Wilderness is your daisy.

If you are willing to sit lower, a couple inches off the deck; conveting the solo to a pack canoe, Bell’s Merlin II, Hemlocks Peregrine, Placid’s RapidFire, Sawyer’s Autumn Mist, Vermont’s Indy and Wenonah’s Vagabond become possibilities.

There are others, but the conversion is problematical, low seats are harder to get in and out of. Of course 250 ain’t that big anymors, how tall are you?

CEWilson

– Last Updated: Sep-26-10 9:32 AM EST –

you ask how tall..just over 6..not that tall.
and the weight should go down to 220 at least for sprimng wen i iwll paddle them.

i am going mabe today to see a bluwatermist/same as the sawer mist.

will see.

thanks to all.

keep the comment coming.

if i had the $$ adn could find used ones i would love to see..shearwater or wenonah...wilderness.

for the 250 not beeing heavy....mmmm wen i look at the stats off the bluewater is goes like 120 to 260 pound max..but wen i look at the sawer mist statgoes up to 300 and they are bothe the same canoe..so not sher the deference.

the one i am looking is kevlar.

joco

Good choice
The Mist may do you well. I have issues with Bluewater’s Mist as it comes from a mold that was “mysteriously liberated” and royalties are not paid to the designer. That said, they make nice boats.

If you can find one

– Last Updated: Sep-26-10 10:59 AM EST –

A Dagger Reflection 15. I'm 220lbs and my Dagger is a great boat. The boat works well, well into the 400lb load range. It's made of Royalex Lite. Essentially, for weight saving reasons, this layup doesn't have all the layers of say a Mad River Explorer. At about 50lbs it is also far from as heavy as an Explorer. Still, with 13 years of rivers, bays, and lakes under her keel, this boat has served me very well. No worries!!!!

Dagger stopped building canoes years ago, so a used example may be hard to come by. Mad River now builds a canoe called the Reflection. It looks to be the same canoe. If so, you've got a new boat oprion available to try out.

I was 242 and sometimes carry my
40 ld dog in the Rapidfire with no trouble.

1 Like

I am a big guy 5/10 245lbs aqnd find my wenonah prism the most comfortable canoe I own!!! check it out,it may work for you also!!!

1 Like

It has been 12 years so he likely figured something out by now.

Welcome to the forum. :canoe:

1 Like