Big person looking to invest

My wife and I are looking to do some kayaking. My issue us I am working hard at losing weight but I am still to large for most kayaks I have seen. I see folks saying to test fit the boat I am interested in. I need to bank some coin for some of these rigs.

Found out I was diabetic in January when I weighed in at 377. Today I am at 340 and my sugars are stable but I am having to double up on my exercise to keep to losing. I was very strong in my 20’s thru my 30’s, lifestyle changed and lost that work ethic and “swole-up.” I am looking to get as close back to that as i can now nearing my 50’s.

I have always liked the water. We have enough lakes and rivers near to keep it worth while to drop in coin.

Anyway, thanks for your time and I look forward to your responses.

some options
A sit on top kayak might be a good starter kayak for a heavier person

A tandem kayak with an open cockpit might work - they are designed to handle quite a bit of weight. Something like Perception Acadia 14 would work, you would just need to figure out where to put a seat. (That boat just sprang to mind mind, there definitely are others).

And, have you thought about getting a canoe?

Look to a big guy SOT for what you need
It is easier to hang onto in case you end up in the water, and you will also find it easier to board and exit.

Since you are new to kayaking, there are several big guy sit ins that ~will~ work, but a SOT has more advantages to a newbie while you learn to paddle, and since your focus is exercise, it will serve your purposes well. They will be necessarily heavy, so you will get a little extra exercise just handling them. Plus, there are some good SOT options for larger guys. Check topkayaker.net for recommendations.

Canoes
I guess I am being a little kid and resisting what most if not all the advice I have been given in that reguard.

Last one I sat in I needed to put all the gear way (plus a few large stones) up front so I could see over the bow.

I could give it a try again.

thanks
I’ll go check that site thank you.

The Wilderness Systems Tarpons
SOT would be good for you but I suspect you need a 16 footer.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/touring_performance/touring_performance_tarpon/tarpon_160_recreational/

Native also makes a SOT that would be a good choice.

http://nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=27

More Bang For The Buck With SUP
And more weight loss too! There is a developing industry centered around using an SUP for weight loss. The out of pocket investment is small compared to the other forms of craft. Paddling close to shore on a flat water lake would be ideal. Take lessons, so you’ll get up to speed sooner and won’t feel disappointed everytime you fall in learning to balance.

WS Ride

– Last Updated: Jul-24-12 7:36 PM EST –

The Wilderness System Ride (115 and 135) have an extremely large max capacity (500lbs and 550lbs). The SOTs are nice in that they are easy to get on but you might find yourself struggling at times with wind. Also, if you live somewhere cold you will probably only be able to use them during the summer months.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product_subcategory/index/products/recreational/ride_2012

Also, you don't have to avoid all sit in kayaks. I have pushed 300lbs in the past and the harsh reality is there isn't much for bigger guys, especially not in the touring style boats most people on here prefer but there are some good recreational boats, so you can get out on a mellow pond or stream. There are some worth looking at but if you are close to the max weight you really need to demo these boats in water to see how they perform. You really need to stay on safe water as you push the limit here -- mellow water that you could swim without effort back to shore. Some options with good sized cockpits but weight limits around 350lbs are:

Wilderess System Pungo 140 -- big open cockpit
Old Town Dirigo 140 -- big open cockpit
Dagger Axis 12 -- slighty smaller cockpit but fit me nice at 300lbs (my current kayak)

second the ride 135
look on Topkayaker for more info. Don’t wait get a boat like it and spend 20 hours a week outside. You’ll get better!

Budget?
You didn’t mention how much you want to spend. Eddyline makes a NightHawk not the nighthawk 16 but the bigger one and its huge inside. But new there about $2300 so that is an option and the nice thing about it is there lighter so easier to handle outside of the water. Eddyline uses thermoformed plastic. Just thought I would mention it as I saw one recently and noticed how large a cockpit it had.

Other options
Might include something along the line of Aire kayaks. They tend to be a relatively inexpensive entry point for a first kayak and being someone who intends to lose weight, will effectively still fit after the exercise regimen does its work.

The Sawtooth series has a 13 and 15 foot version of the boat and paddles, according to reviews like a hardshell boat. Both have a skeg for tracking and for an air filled boat, a low kayak profile that should help in wind. I haven’t paddled one, but it might be worth getting a test drive from a local outfitter.

http://www.aire.com/aire/products/default.aspx?id=230

Rick

Thunderbird?
Pacific Water Sports has been out of business for some years but I remember that Lee designed a boat called the Thunderbird that might work for you.

I imagine there are a few of them still around so a posting on some boards or craig’s list might turn one up.

Some here might remember this boat and can pass along some info as to the suitability of this boat.