Big South Fork

I’m planning a 2 night and three day canoe trip to the BSF- Station Camp to Blue Heron in early March. Does anyone have any experience on this section of the river they could share? It seems pretty simple, but I’ve heard it can be technical at some points… I’ll be going with three other people that are somewhat skilled.

Thanks!

B.S.F.
I was down there a couple of years ago. It’s pretty much a good run, but you are going in the spring and the water will be higher than when we went. You should check with shelowatee(spelling maybe wrong) trace outfitters they will be able to help.You can get to their web site from the B.S.F. site. If you need anymore info let me know.

Zack

BSF
Back in the day, I yakked from Burnt Mill on the Clear Fork down to Leatherwood Ford on the BSF several times. It was always in the spring and the water was up. Great WW and gorgeous scenery. I never paddled below Leatherwood, and its been 20 years since I’ve been down there.

This May, some friends and I plan to do an overnight (maybe 3 day) float somewhere between Leatherwood Ford and Cumberland Lake with the section you are planning to paddle being one of our options, so I’d be interested how your trip goes. From my research, the run from Station Camp to Blue Heron is only 15 miles, is that correct? I’ve also read that the takeout at Blue Heron is a long, steep carry - something we old paddlers dread - especially toting all the camping gear involved. I’ve heard the takeout at Hilltop is similar. Anyone familiar with the situation at Alum Ford? I thought it might be an option and would only be about 7-8 miles further down stream.

Anyway, good luck with your trip and I hope you all have a great time.

B.S.F.
Hi Ed: The trip from station camp to the take out at blue heron is 19 miles with a steep cary up the hill to the parking lot.If you make a couple of trips for the gear it’s not to bad. I don’t know about below that. Good luck with your trip this spring.

Zack

B.S.F.
Thanks for the info Zack.