Blackflies in the Adirondacks....now....

I posted about this about a month ago, but was unable to make the trip that I had planned.

I may have the opportunity to go and do this trip next week…but now I am sure that it is the peak of black fly season.

How are the blacflies up there now? I imagine they are thick, but maybe it has been a light season…hopefully…

I woudl probably be doing a trip on Lowes Lake and maybe doing the Oswegatchie Traverse in conjunction. I imagine they woudl be thicker on the River, in which case I might limit my trip to the lake.

Do they go away after dark or are they out pretty much 24-7?

How about when it rains? Are they still out then?

thanks

Matt

from what is posted on
www.adkforum.com the season is piddling.

I live in Maine in blackfly country. They started to come out in April but quickly disappeared since with the rainy cool weather. They need moving water to hatch and a little warmth. Its not been too warm here. I dunno, when it hits 75 or so all he** may break loose.

They are day biters only. They are activated by sun and deactivated by rain. I do know if the first hatch fails, a second third fourth and fifth will replace it and bite till the species is procreated sufficiently.

So…just go. Sure the Oswegatchie is more likely to be bothersome. BF don’t like a breeze. Camp out in the open on an exposed point if there is any question.

Now the mosquitoes seem to be worse than the elusive BF.

Wear
This:

http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/bugsaway-adventure-hat

For more protection, put this over it:

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/9

And wear long sleeved shirts and long pants tucked in socks.

Don’t wear Navy blue, says Cliff Jacobson.

Smoke lots of cigars made in Ybor City.

All done with them.
I live just inside the Adk park.BF’s are always at their peak sometime in may.Thanks to the mild winter/early spring that’s all over with.On the other hand deer fly’s are rockin big time with skeeters about average.