Bluehole canoe age

I gotta go take a cold shower

That is one sexy boat

Also found pic of a guy paddling naked
in his MGB. Sorry, I don’t have a link.

A OCA and a tornado
ahh the memories I had a OCA. Named her Annie the anahinga. Had a tornado. She disappeared. Found by hunters a week or so later about a mile away in the timber. Smashed bow. At least her last ride was a doozy. great boat if the royalex and etc are still functionable…

Paddling Bare terrritory
A naked man in a Blue Hole, thats Fat Elmo & Paddling Bares Territory. I will stay clothed and composite.

Bill

Fat Elmo
Do you think this was Fat Elmo’s canoe? I do remember it had skid marks on the inside of the canoe.

No, the guy was slender with a 6 pack.

Merrimack Pennichuck
A late 1980’s brochure from Merrimack shows the Pennichuck and states that it was originally designed by Mike Galt in 1976 as a 17’6" ABS river cruiser. Merrimack made arrangements to produce it in Kevlar with their wood trim. They made a 16’6" in addition to the 17’6". Weights were 55# and 58# for the two versions. The depths were listed as 21/20 bow and stern for both and 13" and 13.5" in the centers of the two. The width given was overall at 35" and 35.5"

That parallels the specs for the Blue Hole Kingfisher that i owned. A Scouter friend bought it from me with the stipulation i got first shot if he decided to sell it. 25 years later he still uses it to fish in Lake Ontario and its tributaries.

In kevlar the Kingfisher 17’6" is slightly slower than my Wenonah Spirit. It is more seaworthy and dryer in big water and waves.

Bill

since
all the Blue Hole experts are active on this thread…tell me about mine

I have a 89 TBH, model TRA

curious what everyone says…I bought it used several years ago. and have not seen this model discussed yet.

Best Wishes

Roy

Like Blue Hole? You’ll love Evergreen
A few years ago, I purchased a solo canoe from Evergreen Canoe Co. They told me it was made on the old Blue Hole molds.

Do you have a working link for
Evergreen? Folks on myccr.com were having trouble reaching Evergreen, and there was concern the company was no longer functioning.

Evergreen’s website dates from '06,
but MEC, Canada’s equivalent to our REI, claims to carry a full line of Evergreen canoes, including the Blue Hole clones. So it appears Evergreen is still producing canoes, though one might have to drive into Canada to get one.

Evergreen
The 1988 Canoe magazine buyers guide shows Evergreen as the composite canoe branch of Blue Hole. Same address in Sunbright Tennessee. Whoever bought the rights when Blue Hole went under should have the composite molds.

I think they got the mold rights from
mutual agreement, before Blue Hole USA went under. Evergreen has been offering a few Blue Hole designs for quite a few years. The question now is, are Evergreen boats available except through MEC? Frontenac used to offer them, but no more.

The Blue Hole solo and tandem designs are still acceptable, but one could find a better hull from Esquif, Bell, or Mad River. I’m sure Steve Scarborough (personal acquaintance) would agree.

letters not in memory banks
Roy,

The Sunburst, Starburst, Prowler, and Cumberland are models that i can identify on sight, but do not remember the model numbers. The Prowler i think was the OCV cause it was just a vinyl trimmed OCA to lower the price. Put up a photo with the length from stem to stem and between g2d and others we can name it for you. If the stems are recurved it will be an OCA derivative, if they are angled the length will tell us the model, if its royalex.

Bill

My Evergreen never seemed to "cure"
I only had it about 6 months but the material seemed much softer than any other boat I’ve had. Another curious thing is that it was delivered with no graphics, decales or any other kind of markings.

Thanks
I’ll take a picture tomorrow in the daylight. I do know it is not like a OCA…it’s a little longer with higher sides. Tandem, Alum trim, Royalex.

mine is definatly a sweet WW boat for two.

Best Wishes

Roy

OH…it has been thru lots…not worth even $150 anymore

pictures
of my Blue Hole Canoe

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/4843022785_082e7cae15_m.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4843022797_da246a654d_m.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/4843022799_47e9b3a542_m.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4843022801_f1c00447c1_m.jpg

Best Wishes

Roy

Starburst
Roy,

what you have appears to be the Steve Scarborough designed Starburst Tandem.

Bill

Thanks
that is what I thought it was…the ones made a little later had Starburst on the decal, mine doesn’t

TRA I assume stands for Tandem, Royalex, Alum trim

Best Wishes

Roy

I was slightly too young
for the Age of Aquarius, but I was the right age for the Age of Blueholes.

Those were the days my friends!

Jim