Blunt tip ceramic knife

Has anyone seen one. I’d prefer one with a sheath.

I cannot find one and it would be a pain to get one and have to grind that ceramic tip.

Seems like a smart knife maker would have figured out that we are the perfect market for them.

Please make mine with a cork handle so it floats and have it be $75 or less.

ceramic is useless for a utility/rescue
knife. Way too fragile.

get this instead
http://sogknives.com/store/TE-02.html

who needs a rescue knife when you can have a mini-machete?

Ditto That.

Right Knife For The Course
The SOG Seal Pup is great woods knife. Used to carry in for hunting. Comfortable, non-slip grip (even with blood on it). Can skin okay but still hack branches. The AUS8 steel would rust out in a marine environment, thus not a good (salt water) boating knife.

I recognize for some, no knife is good knife. For the OP, not the right knife.

sing

Why does the tip need to be blunt?

– Last Updated: Jun-30-09 7:42 AM EST –

If it is really necessary, break off some of the tip, and smooth it with a coarse diamond hone.
If you are looking for a good completely rust-free water knife check out Boye Dendritic knives. They are made of a cobalt alloy, and they are amazing http://boyeknives.com/folders.cfm
Kind of spendy though.

Too brittle

– Last Updated: Jul-01-09 1:18 AM EST –

A ceramic knife is far to brittle to handle the prying duty a rescue knife can be called upon to perform. The first time you try to pry or puncture something tough, the blade will snap in half.

Use a ceramic for cutting tomatoes, not life-saving.

Phreon

Prying with a knife?
OK so I’ve got some line tangled around me and I’m going to use my knife to pry myself out of the cockpit? I thought the idea of a knife on your vest was to cut line tangles.

What exactly am I supposed to pry?

Think Dropping It On A Rock…
by accident. At minimum, you will probably chip the edge.

Personally, I like my titanium knives for salt water/boating use. These don’t hold an edge as long as a good steel but Ti doesn’t rust either. The edge will hold fine as long as I don’t go around whittling sticks for the heck of it.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-30/024016/OMS-Titanium-Knife.html

sing

I’d hope you carry for your friends too
You might have to saw, chisel or pry at wood, thick plastic, metal, ice or rock. A ceramic blade just won’t withstand it.

What to pry? Rocks their rigging or appendage might stuck in. A frozen spray deck you might need to punch through. The thwart of a wrapped, collapsed canoe. Or any number of eventualities you can’t foresee.

Rescue knives need to withstand punishment. A (friend’s) life might depend on it.

Phreon

25% off these days…

Yes, prying with a knife
is something that may happen to you

unless you carry two Leatherman utility tools or two Swiss Army knives and/or a compleat tool kit.

As a pro mechanic for twenty years, I do believe in having and using the correct tool for the job.

That being said, if the only thing you have for a hammer is a two by four, you start hammering with a two by four. So it is wise to carry tools that might serve more than one purpose.

When camping on dry land, along with Leatherman, Swiss Army knife, flashlight and two way communication, I carry a pair of Snap-On pliers that weigh enough to hammer tent pegs. I may look like I am wearing Batman’s utility belt, but I am very popular when something breaks.

Correct tool?
I have been thinking about trading my river knife in for a rescue hook. Seems to make more sense for the intended use of cutting tangled lines, while panicked underwater. I have my Leatherman in my kit in the hatch. What is your opinion?

they’re brittle
I received a ceramic blade chef’s knife as a gift, and it already has a few nicks missing.

hook
I like the hook. My thinking is that I may have to cut line I can’t see, by feel only, and a hook minimizes the chance of injury. You can still do a lot of damage with a blunt-tipped knife.

My current setup for ww is a rescue hook on the outside of the pfd, and a good folding knife in the pfd pocket.

I realize that there are advantages to a fixed-blade knife. Everything’s a tradeoff.

Rescue Hook
I think your idea of having a hook on the pfd and knife in the pocket is great. Question though, could you pop through a spray skirt with the hook if you had to?

Phreon

FWIW…

– Last Updated: Jul-01-09 3:18 PM EST –

every tool has advantages and disadvantages. I always hear about how someone with a fixed blade is going to stab him/herself or someone else... Maybe, it's certainly possible.

All I know is that I flipped myself in a kelp bed with my waveski. Big mistake -- try to roll one way, got tangled up. Tried to roll the other way, got even more tangled up. Kelp wrapped around my paddle, paddleleash, arms, legs. Foam piles rolling in every so often (inside the the break zone). Pulled out my fb and quickly hacked off the kelp around my arms and legs, righted the ski, climbed back on and hacked of the rest of the kelp around the leash and paddle. Could it be done with a hook, I doubt it since the kelp would not likely fit into the slot. Could a sissiors do the job. Likely, but I was glad to just hack through with my fixed blade.

A post nor'easter surf session. Storm worked loose a lobster trap and bouy into the break zone. Boardies and I were surfing around it. Couple folks flipped pretty close to the darn buoys and the line. I just didn't like the entanglement possibilities. I surfed close to it, pulled off the wave and waited for a lull. As soon as it came, I pulled the FB, grabbed the bouy and hacked through the line. Put the blade back into the sheath and surfed away.

Yeah, yeah... I was lucky I didn't stab myself. I was lucky not to get hit by a car on the way to the break. I was lucky not to drown in the surf zone. Afterall, anything can happen. It's all possible. It's just want you choose to be afraid of.

sing