Boat data sources?

I’ve been building a spreadsheet of boat data, to help me sort out which boats to check out at the spring shows. In my case, it’s kayaks, but other folks may want to do the same with canoes. A lot of sources, including PNet, list the manufacturer, model, length, and list price, but I (we) really need info on material, width, depth, weight, cockpit size, load rating, and possibly some things I haven’t considered. Once it’s in the spreadsheet, it’s great to sort by acceptable lengths, widths, prices, or whatever. It also gives me a place to record impressions and test paddles. Just wondering if I’m reinventing the wheel by trying to research this info from each manufacturer’s website?

data
there are HUNDREDS of kayak boat data and ratings by users on this web site

look at “product reviews” on the bottom left

Boat data
Even though they are anecdotal, and opinions, I have enjoyed the reviews and found them to be very helpful. What I’m looking for, however, is the data on all kayaks, which I can sort down, to identify the potential boats which might meet my needs, then search the reviews, visit the dealers, and perform the test paddles. PNet’s buyers guide has about 4 columns of info, the magazine buyers guides ave about twice as much, but you have to go to each manufacturer to get things like cockpit size. Just thought some organization may already have this info on a site.

Sea Kayaker data

– Last Updated: Feb-15-05 8:26 PM EST –

Sea Kayaker tests include more useful data than any other source I know.

During last winter, I put together a spreadsheet of kayaks I found interesting with the data I find useful that is usually not on the manufacturer's site.

Once I had started the spreadsheet, it has been easy to add boats and data.

I have that spreadsheet on my office computer, my handheld, my home computer, and my laptop. I sync all with my handheld, so I only have to enter any piece of data once.

It has been very helpful in posting here.

Unless I misunderstood what you’re

– Last Updated: Feb-15-05 9:34 PM EST –

trying to accomplish, I think you can get much of the product specifications from the various buyers guides: i.e. Canoe and Kayak and Paddler Magazines which came out in January.

Use the Taoist Method

– Last Updated: Feb-15-05 9:46 PM EST –

A kayak is a tool for connecting with the water and your inner non-21rst century self. I think you are being too analytical about it. Go look at some kayaks, paddle a few and let the kayak choose you. Get out on the water and forget spread sheets.

Seriously even if you find your ideal kayak on the spread sheet you then have to worry about trying it out and buying it. Stick to boats that you can find easily. Ask your friendly local dealers to suggest boats.

Just for curiosity sake what do you do for a living?
Have you ever taken a Myers-Briggs personality contest? If you know your profile I bet I can choose the right Kayak for you. Better yet post your price range and what you want to do and the good folks here could give you ten boats you should look for and all the data on them too.

???
Snip " I have that spreadsheet on my office computer, my handheld, my home computer, and my laptop. I sync all with my handheld."

When do you find time to paddle?

When its significantly above freezing
Seadart,

As noted, I put the spreadsheet together “During last winter”

Living in the Northeast, there is a part of the year when it is frequnetly cold and dark. From December through February, I tend to be paddling primarily in pool sessions which is not as frequent as times in the boat the other nine months of the year.

YES!
it works

linear dimensions , use, dynamics
A big disconnect occures between comparing numbers and comparing kayaks in their use. The problem is that you may define a ball park of acceptablity on some data bit but how those numbers manifest themselves might be on either side of the foul line. A couple examples. Let’s say you’re looking for X volume and Y length. You can have a lot of volume above the waterline and a lot of length out of the water. Another model might have a lot of volume in the hull and little overhang. So the longer/larger kayak may actually have less usable volume and less efficiency/speed potential. A good example would be to compare a QCC600, CD Andromeda,CD Caribou and Necky Chatham 16. The differences really are stark on some kayaks with handling differences rendering immaterial the numbers. Some models really are designed for the numbers,the kayak has to be x length or y depth or z weight. What would look better in a catalog,17’x22"@50lbs or 16’x23"@55lbs? The latter could be faster, better handling in wind/waves. Or how about a 18’x20" kayak compared to a 16’x22" kayak? The 16’ could be faster and more efficient.

Just speaking as one who’s consumed data bits as a biking enthusiasts/former bike shop owner/racer and now having owned a dozen kayaks and worked in paddle sports shops. Numbers are for catalogs, you’ll get a better approximation of reality comparing anecdotes from folks that have used the kayak.

Best compromise kayak
Didn’t realize Meyers-Briggs was a contest, but it’s been a while since I took the test. The resume includes U.S. Navy, construction, manufacturing management, economic development, and I’m trying to develop a wildflower garden. Recently joined AARP, 5’7", 150 lbs. Currently paddling Dagger Vesper. Seeking kayak to paddle small midwest rivers, lakes, occasional spring rapids. Stability and space for photography and weekend camping a definite plus. Desire to increase paddling skill level. Seems that I’m headed toward a kayak under 14’ length, under 24" width, under 50 lbs, two hatches, possible internal skeg, no rudder, standard keyhole cockpit, moderate V hull, poly or thermoform, up to $2,000. Would sincerely appreciate any recommendations.

What kayak for INTP?
Uh, you’re joking, right?

Well, this INTP has…
A Q700 as primary boat - a Surf Ski for next challenge - and (perhaps most in line with the profile) wants to design and build next.

I also have a Brit boat, an SOT…

You’re right - can’t predict boats by this. But I have learned a lot from these different boats and don’t see that changing even when the boats do.

Kayaking is a good fit. For INTPs "…leisure has two dimensions to you: first, you like to concentrate and reflect on conceptual matters – second, you like to take risks in the external world (like skydiving?)…

Hmm, I see kayaking as having both of those dimensions. The ideas, designs, techniques - and the active outdoor element. But, of course I see it that way…

I hate putting people in boxes like the 16 personality types, but I fit pretty well into that one.

Sonoma 13
It’s gotta be one of the better uses for thermoformed plastic. It’s much larger volume than the Vesper,roomy,light,very efficient. The only drawback is that the seam is iffy. I’ve seen a few returned with hull/deck seams split. If you stick with simple hulls and don’t go for downsized versions of touring kayaks with rudder/hatchs/bulkheads, etc. you can keep the price/weight down. In composite if you can find a used glass Swallow you’ll get a 15’x24" kayak that’s a good ruddered paddling platform. A local shop has a Looksha Sport in kevlar for under $2,000 no front bulkhead/hatch.

To be useful…
… you’d need a database, or at least a spreadsheet, with a LOT of numbers for each.

Length, beam, depth front and rear of cockpit, cockpit size & type, Hatch types and sizes, rudder (type)?, skeg? layup info…

Then LWL, BWL, wetted surface, various coefficients, and a host of other data to begin to evaluate performance.

Putting all this together would seriously cut into paddling time! It is also practically impossible to get all this info and then to have it be relevant to different sized paddlers/displacements/etc.

Go to Mariner Kayaks and download the latest version of Matt’s drag sheet. Many boats listed. I also have a crude speed estimator in Excel that has overall and waterline lengths for quite a few kayaks I can email you (runs my own highly flawed formula - and it will calculate “Hull Speed” also).

I found this stuff useful about 2 years ago when trying to evaluate sea kayaks - now I do better just looking at the hulls - and verifying what I see on the water.

The drag predictions are getting interesting again as I play with designing my own…

multisport kayaks comparison
Perhaps, a more general data would be more useful like in this comparison of multisport kayaks:

http://www.arawacanoeclub.org.nz/documents/kayak-selection.htm

One thing that’s INTP
…fascination with psychological tests.

I have this idea for a new SOT but don’t know if/when I’ll get around to actually making it. Huh, that must be the “P” part kicking in.

Yes I was joking
For some reason I thought he would end up with a QCC boat before he posted his other requirements.

Maybe PNET should be an INTP Anonomous Center…

Yeah
Ideas outweigh actions. I have plans, and plans for other plans, and plans to revise and improve those plans - but little going on that will actually get anything done!

Normally I’m 95% conceptual and 5% actual. In paddling it’s closer to 50/50 (paddling/piddling). That ratio would still drive many nuts - but for me it’s remarkable progress.

Talk about a derailed thread!