Boat Reviews: Kick that dead horse!!!

You have…
Entirely too much free time…

I can afford…
a little extra time if it makes this site even better.

I paddled a dead horse. Great boat.

Was your Dead Horse skin on bone?

Mea Culpa
Yep, I’m guilty of this.

My review of the Pouch E68 is pretty much resembles the gripe & suggestions that started this thread. Now that I’ve spent about 20 hours and paddled I dunno how many miles in it, I will update my lengthy, beginner’s review.

A number of the aforesaid suggestions are actually pretty good, and I’d’ve followed them had I seen them prior to posting my review.

I think somebody looks at the reviews before they are posted - I received an email with my narrative pasted below for edits prior to its publication on the site. My guess is, if it’d been utter crap, way off topic, some sort of spam, it would not have been posted?

Chris

get real!!!
either would most of the middle ages males.

So who died and left…
…you as the boss ?

If you don’t like a particular review, don’t read it or them.

When I see someone rating their boat a 10, I am very happy for them because they are happy with their boat.

Cheers,

JackL

Still Kicking

– Last Updated: Oct-27-05 7:43 PM EST –

Folks have been pretty hard on Yaksurfer considering the original suggestion, if followed, could improve the usefulness of the reviews on this site.

Would all reviewers follow those suggestions? Probably not. But if you set the bar a little higher than people are presently jumping, most will be inspired to jump a little higher.

Maybe the best thing would be if PNet would set up the reviews to be sortable by a number of factors including hours in the boat, experience level of paddler, size and weight of paddler (if provided), etc. That way, those who wanted to exclude the opinions of first time paddlers could do so, and those who wanted to read through all reviews could do just that.

Agreed.
I think we have an obligation as members here to err on the side of safety in our advice and keep those statements in check that might allow harm if followed, especially by those new to paddling. I think the same should hold true for the reviews here. The reviews are here to help others make informed decisions on pretty major purchases. The more accurate and detailed the reviews, the better it reflects upon this site, not to mention us as a group. I really take pride in being a member here, and I do think a little espere de corp is a good thing.

Yes actually I would
5’8 205 36" waist Michelin tire man in a wetsuit

Dead horse?
You probably used Armourall on it instead of 303! :slight_smile:

Add another review category…
…a wiki.

Good points, but too much to ask
This is the internet. Anyone is free to publish whatever they want. You don’t need any qualifications at all.

Perhaps a reminder to that could be included on the reviews home page, other than that, if it aint broke…

Wasted "breath"
Most of the reviews I have read are by people who do not post here on a regular basis (hence will not see this thread).

Good luck “changing the world”.

Interesting
How some choose to actively participate, some don’t, and some feel obligated to add nothing constructive. All of that is what makes this site so great, and I have been guilty of all three in the past.

I admit that I set a hook with the subject line and the first few lines of the thread. I didn’t realize many would react quite so negatively. My objective was to stir up interest through an emotional response to the subject line. Doing so creates interest an promotes more participation. So far it has worked. I only did this because I felt the more input everyone contributed, the better the results would be. We all scan the new posts and skip over those that look boring. I wanted to make sure this one was not because I felt we could improve this great site. Not all agree, and that is all right. After all, this is a forum.

I have already modified my thinking on some of the criteria for an improved system due to the advice of others. Hopefully it will keep coming!

Paddle well…

No Response
I’ve been guilty of this.

I rated my Sawyer Summersong a “10”, then I got into some chop. Argh…

So, my Summersong is not a “10” UNLESS in CALM flatwater, I thought.

So I re-read the reviews of the Summersong (and the Autumn Mist). You guys must be experts - “…had it out in 3-footers; handled just fine, etc.”

I believe y’all have an innate tendency to overrate your PADDLING SKILLS.

Bunch of egotistic, pompis asses… :wink:

– Last Updated: Oct-28-05 6:16 AM EST –

"Always include your height, weight, foot size, and ther measurements you feel are relevant."

Well damn, next thing you know, you'll want my SSN as well.

I think folks were harsh because your original post sounded like a big, winey baby throwing a tantrum. I had an overwhelming urge to shove a binky in your mouth. ;)

And Swedge, there's -nothing- wrong with lime green. It is the most noticable and visible color on the water. And when you paddle around tankers and sainers...it makes a big difference. Lime green is rather sexy, too. ;P

Well that seems sufficiently elist…
…to me.

New paddlers shouldn’t post about their boats

until they’ve reached some designated level of

enlightenment.

Or should be submit our resumes to you in order

to get approval for giving people our opinions

of our own boats?

Like the guy said, the phrase “I’m new and this

is my first boat,” should be a big tip off. If

I read that in a post, I think, “This a a new

boater.” But then I learned to read critically

and to think for myself. I’m not looking for

someone to spoon-feed me info.

But their views are quite valid.

Let’s say I’m a newbie and buy a boat that is too

unstable. Seems to me that another newbie might

find that interesting and perhaps not make the

same mistake.

Remember, with differing skill levels come differing

perceptions. An experienced boater might have

a completely different set of opinions about

a Prijon Barracuda than an inexperienced boater

has, and information could be lost across the

boundary layers.

do you paddle WW? I suspect it must be hell

finding a helmet of sufficient girth to fit you.

L
100%

companies know + reviews sell
Companies have known for a long timet that gushing effusive personal testimonials sell products.

They count on non-objective, personal affirmations to sell products. Witness Apple computer’s recent decision to include customer reviews of music. Yes some are vitriolic negative reviews, which they can censor, and post the most positive ones. The net response is to increase sales.

What I am saying is that it is in many people’s interest to NOT require consumer reports like objective and fact based reporting of how good a boat is. Although not everyone like Sea Kayaker Magazine reviews, at least they have tried to make their opinions fact based, standardized, and to list the background of the testers, their weight, and the reasons for their opinions.

I try to do the same thing, but admittedly it is difficult. I don’t think any slamming of anyone is needed. Simply add to the constructive mix by doing what you propose rather than exhorting others to do so. Usually that brings a better reply here.