Boat Reviews: Kick that dead horse!!!

Go check my review of the Artic Tern
I still believe the boat is a great build. My experiences so far indicate it is everything Pygmy advertised it to be (well…the fast part is debatable)but…

I did one of those pie in the sky impressions on the America and while I love the boat for all the places it’s gotten me and all it’s stood up to abuse wise, Had I to review it again I’d tell prospective buyers the invest in an electric trolling motor if they expect to keep pace with even a WS Pungo 140 (forget eddylines and prijons and cds.)That said; five years and counting I’m still paddling it!

Keep what we have and add a
"Technical checklist". Like a test with multiple-choice, it’s easier to answer questions when they are in front of you. This would satisfy the advanced paddlers and help to elevate beginners.

You could even take a survey to determine what questions should be on the checklist.

thanks
toesnorth and thistleback

Thank you for your input and any questions you might answer including the ones I might not know enough to ask.

Next year, if possible, I will want a longer, sleeker, kayak.

It should be one I can manage physically in and out of the water but also one which will manage me in the water.

Nine years ago I couldn’t walk and breathe at the same time and had been on massive amounts of prednisone which accounts for most of the weight. I’m very lucky, I’m alive and breathing

well enough these days without too much asthma medication but now I’m 55 and heavy. Earlier this summer I weighed in at 309 but with a smaller waist than I’d had when I was 287. I’m back down in the 280’s and my waist has not reexpanded.

I want something stable and that feels safe. I don’t know what weathercocking is, does this mean the boat doesn’t necessarily go in the direction you think you are paddling in?

The more open cockpit the better but maybe I am wrong here with that thought? My rear and legs are not where most of my weight is, so maybe with a narrower boat I’d be able to change my entry and exit methods. I noticed one guy sitting on his kayak and then hoping in from the rear and realized I get in and out more like I’m getting into a canoe.

Most of the time I would go on inland lakes but I’d love to kayak along the Lake Superior shore sometime in my life time as well as some areas of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Someday perhaps, if I gain the ability, a short wilderness trip with my tent and a sleeping bag, but that is a long way off.

I have a lot to learn and more weight to lose. My knee has no strength in it so I often just roll out of the Pungo or use a half paddle for a cane.

Some days I’m more positive thinking than others.

All ideas and helpful thoughts are much appreciated.

If you ever have tax questions - don’t hesitate to ask. If I don’t know I won’t pretend to know. My second job, the one that helps me have the money to pay for summer extras, is with HR Block. In real life I’m a government employee with a Masters In Library Science.

linda.keith@dfas.mil

Linda
I can relate to health issues and I’ve had my share of physical obstacles, many of which kayaking has improved. I’m 53.

I think you would greatly benefit from taking classes. Good instructors can not only teach you basic skills and safer paddling, they can help you determine what direction and how far you want to go in this lovely addiction called kayaking as well as what boat would be best for you. Good instruction can do wonders for your confidence level and enjoyment out on the water.

Unless I missed it, you didn’t say whether or not you paddle alone. Perhaps joining a kayaking club would be an option. I’m about 50 miles outside the border of the boondocks but my husband and I have managed to scare up some fellow paddlers as well as create some. :slight_smile:

Keep the positive attitude. You never know what you can accomplish until you give it a try and even if you don’t get to where you’d hoped to be, you’ve still learned a lot and become a stronger person. Wow, that sounded awful serious for me. :open_mouth:

Email me at my personal email link anytime.

Pam

What is obviously needed is …
a rating system for the raters [reviewers]. Even a “Number of reviews submitted” could tip you as to how experienced the reviewer is … or a Gold Paddle icon by the reviewer’s name for every 10 reviews submitted. One would hope that a “3 Gold Paddles” reviewer would be pretty saavy and trustable.

Gold paddles for each 10 reviews?
Would anyone in this forum garner even 1 gold paddle? How many experienced paddlers have had enough seat time in 10 different boats to give viable reviews?

It would be great if a lot of paddlers had that much experience.