Boat Suggestions For a Complete Noob?

Hey guys, basically my experience level is I’ve been in an inflatable kayak 2 in class 1 and 2 water. I’m looking for a real WW kayak for that same class 1 and 2 water, with some class 3 when I feel like I’m ready. I’m probably not the first person to face this issue, but my budget is anything but unlimited. I’m not really sure what I have to spend. I guess what I have to. If I have to save for a while longer I’d rather do that than get something that isn’t very good or I’ll progress beyond quickly. So I guess what I’m looking for are some ideas of what the best used boats to look for our that will deliver outstanding value and friendly enough for a beginner while remaining advanced enough to grow with me. Yeah, I realize I’m probably asking the impossible. Maybe someone here does miracles?

Spend the money now for a day or two of lessons in white water, and while there quiz the instructor on boats you should consider to buy used. They know what works for the rivers in your area.

More than flat water, we needs training and finding others to paddle in order to start. Above suggestion best. Can start used, we paddlers turn over boats fast.

Truer words… There is always a better boat.

So a co worker who used to be a rafting guide loaned me a Riot Booster 50 along with a paddle, PFD, helmet, and a skirt. I was quite pleased when I asked how long I could borrow it for and he replied “Well…really I’m done with it for the year”. That helps the budget issues significantly for the time being. I’m pretty amazed at such a generous offer. I’m going to see if I can’t get on the water with a few other guides and begin learning.

@DryFlyTrout said:
So a co worker who used to be a rafting guide loaned me a Riot Booster 50 along with a paddle, PFD, helmet, and a skirt. I was quite pleased when I asked how long I could borrow it for and he replied “Well…really I’m done with it for the year”. That helps the budget issues significantly for the time being. I’m pretty amazed at such a generous offer. I’m going to see if I can’t get on the water with a few other guides and begin learning.

Good

@DryFlyTrout said:

The Booster 50 is a nice river runner. I have that and am 145 lbs. I have some more leeway in weight for it as I am used to/have even lower volume ww boats. If you go over 160 lbs and are a beginner, the booster 50 may not be as forgiving for you as for a lighter person. Just FYI.

sing

I’m around 135 lbs, so weight shouldn’t be a problem.
I was introduced to more guides today. I asked if they went out in groups frequently. As expected, they do. So my next question was do you tolerate noobs? I was told everyone is welcome. So it looks like I’ve now gotten a boat and some people who know the river very well to show me what’s up. LOL IMO I’m already making progress.

Sounds like a good situation.