Book for dehydrating...

Can anyone reccomend a good book on dehydrating?

I just picked one up and would like to try it out.

thanks for any info,

Carol

Don’t know if…
this book has a LOT of dehydrating info in it but it does cover a wealth of preservation techniques. An interesting addition to the home library even if you only use a portion of it:

STOCKING UP

(AMAZON SAYS:)The most comprehensive, up-to-date guide to harvesting, storing, preparing, and preserving foods of all kinds.

For the self-sufficient farmer or the urban weekend gardener, the third edition of Stocking Up is an invaluable addition to any kitchen. With detailed illustrations and easy-to-follow directions, this encyclopedic resource makes “stocking up” easy.

Follow step-by-step instructions for:

• Freezing, canning, drying, and preserving fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, and poultry
  • Harvesting nuts, seeds, sprouts, fruits, and vegetables
  • Preparing pickles, relishes, jams, jellies, butters, cheeses, and breads.

With more than 300 recipes for preservable foods – from old standards like casseroles, fruit leather, and ice cream to new favorites such as sun-dried tomatoes, herb vinegars, and salt- and sugar-free versions of basic fare, Stocking Up covers everything for the home cook. Hundreds of charts and illustrations simplify preserving chores and choices for everyone interested in stocking up on wholesome, natural foods.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671693956/103-8085737-1408636?v=glance

Trail Food
by Alan Kesselheim. Small, cheap, full of information about drying and cooking…of all things, trail food.

Stocking Up
is pretty good on drying, and has a ton of info on all other types of food preservation. I bought the book a couple of years ago and use it quite a bit. I gets very in depth and covers a lot of specialized techniques (building your own dehydrators, etc.), but it’s great if you do other types of home food preservation, too.

Backcountry Gourmet
by Yaffee is good. However, I find myself mostly just dehydrating left overs from dinner. I find myself planning home cooked dinners around what I want to dehydrate as I get closer to kayak trips. Tomorrow I will make some rice and black bean burrito’s and dehydrate them-then I will take the shells with me which I can also eat for lunch with something else.

David

good book
try The Hungry Hikers Book of Good Cooking by Gretchen McHugh. It is written for backpacking but just as useful for kayaking. It talks about what ingredients to dry and what exactly to pack, how much, for certain meals. It even has good instructions for building your own dehydrator. Amazon has it. I love this book!

sharon

thank you all for the help,
I will check them out and get started!

SYOTR

Carol