Books and DVD

My 4 books and DVD from Amazon arrived yesterday:

1. “Go Paddle” DVD. A nice intro that that also shows the basic strokes.

2. “Kayaking Made Easy” Probably the best intro book.

3. “The Kayak Companion” Still reading. Looks good.

4. “Kayak Essentials” Wish I did not buy.

5. “Kayaking - Paddling Basics” Wish I did not buy.

I have also ordered the fotward stroke DVD that was mentioned here. Not arrived yet.

These books have not added much to the information I have learned here. Thanks everyone! The DVD was probably most useful to actually see yaking in action and see some basic strokes.

neo from SC

Thanks for the reviews
I’m neophyte myself and have been wondering about books.

“Kayaking - Paddling Basics” 5*
I wish to change my review of “Kayaking - Paddling Basics”. It was written from inexperience. Of the books I find this the best on explaining paddling techniques with diagrams. It also has an excellent section on reading the river so you know which part of the river to be in and what parts to avoid.

Brent Reitz Forward Stroke Clinic
Brent Reitz Forward Stroke Clinic

I cannot remember who recommended this DVD. It just arrived and I watched it. It is a 10 on a scale of 1-5. It is mainly on the forward stroke but also on stretching. This is a fantastic DVD. I will be watching it over and over and over again. I had no idea of the the many subtle movements that make up the ideal forward stroke. This will do wonders for me.

and that, is why
so many here recommend it!

That video is good for anyone, and a great shortcut for a beginner. I did it the hard way - lots of miles -BEFORE I watched it (do that too - but it will be easier after the video)!

Just don’t over think it all! Let the water teach - the video will verify what sort of student you are and make everything a whole lot easier.