Bottlenose Dolphin increased mortality...

I saw this report today, and it made me wonder about the dead dolphin we saw in January, and another that was seen in April by a friend. I thought it strange that two were seen within a few months of each other, and yet in the last 10 years I haven’t seen even one. Then I saw this report. We have had high water and river flooding much of this winter and spring too. Here is a link. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dolphins-along-gulf-coast-are-dying-triple-normal-rate-scientists-n1017966

Dolphin seen in January Atlantic marshes, South Carolina coast.

I am just about to finish reading Voices in the Ocean, a book about dolphins and whales. It’s a tough book to read, not because of writing style, but because some of the things humans have done and still do to our seafaring fellow mammals will make you cry.

What has the US Navy been doing in that area recently? They consider thousands of severe permanent injuries and deaths to be merely trivial byproducts of amping up “national security.”

My opinion but all of the pollutants

@string said:
My opinion but all of the pollutants

That were washed into the ocean due to the heavy rains of the last couple of years had to be a factor.
It will not get better because development of the coast has gone into overdrive.

Pollution, sonic booms, naval war “exercises,” general crowding from heavy boater traffic, maybe diseases from unusual blooms of pathogenic organisms in the water due to climate changes…could be any or all of these.

Saw that story too. Whatever the cause it stinks.

The news report I heard said something about too much fresh water dilution of the sea water. Probably mass suicide after exposure to “end of the world” cataclysmic disaster predictions.

@pikabike said:
I am just about to finish reading Voices in the Ocean, a book about dolphins and whales. It’s a tough book to read, not because of writing style, but because some of the things humans have done and still do to our seafaring fellow mammals will make you cry.

What has the US Navy been doing in that area recently? They consider thousands of severe permanent injuries and deaths to be merely trivial byproducts of amping up “national security.”
I would not be able to read that book. I don’t know the proper term but the new super high intensity sonar is just barbaric and immoral in my view. I think some religions say that higher beings have a fundamental responsibility to protect creatures that cannot protect themselves.