Bow and stern loop knots?

I am installing Tugeyes on my Echo and want to have short rope loops through them. What knot would be best to make the loop? A bell canoe I used to have had loops had a funky multi looped knot,but unfortunatly I don’t have it to copy.

Thanks,Turtle

The best?

– Last Updated: Aug-28-11 1:44 PM EST –

Don't know about the best, but have used these.

After putting the rope through the tugeyes, running to the outside of the canoe:
Tie an overhand knot in one end of your grab loop. Trace the overhand knot with the other end of the grab loop rope. Tighten.

You can do the same thing with a figure eight knot.

If you don't want the knot showing on the outside of the canoe; tie an overhand knot on both ends of the grab loop, after putting both ends of the rope through the tugeyes, and under the decking of the canoe. Tying the knot on the second end of the rope will take some manual dexterity & may require some adjustment to get the grab loop to the length you desire on the outside of the canoe.

BOB

P.S. Double, or triple fisherman's knots(on outside of canoe)are easier to grip & carry the canoe's weight, but makes bigger knot.

Flemish (figure 8) or fisherman’s.

– Last Updated: Aug-28-11 11:30 AM EST –

I like the latter. Plenty of diagrams on the web.

http://www.madrivercanoe.com/content/madrivercanoe.com/assets/page/care_and_repair/MR_owners07.pdf

Page 3: "Installing grab loops"

Is the rope accessible inside the hull?

– Last Updated: Aug-28-11 2:45 PM EST –

If so, I do as Bob suggests and just tie off the ends with an overhand or figure of eight knot on each end.

If not, I favor the fisherman's knot as well, as it is secure and relatively compact.

You could use others such as a sheet bend or a double bowline, for example.

an end to end splice, stitch and whip …
… are possible with core and cover ropes . Maybe something like 1/2" (or thicker) 12 strand polyester , or similar for bow/stern loops , I just feel thicker is better for hands .

Here’s a vid. on youtube of one way to do it … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpyhS7WEWSE

Just tying and knot under the deck will be much faster and easier if the area is acceccesable to do so … but the splice is a neat thing if you feel like taking the time to do it .

There are other type end to end splices , and for other type ropes too . If you like the splice idea just check the net. for how to’s …

knots…
web link for knots…

http://www.animatedknots.com/

or buy those palstic cards of knot tying at any good well stocked outdoor store.

Follow trout’s link or

use this one to the double fisherman’s bend. Tidy and secure.

Jim

http://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermans/index.php?Categ=climbing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

double fisherman’s knot
look it up - used thousands/millions of times to tie two rappel ropes together - it does not slip (edit: just looked at that reference to the mad river brochure - that is what they are using)

same as the “overhand followthrough” knot someone described above, only with a second wrap before feeding the tail thru

fig 8 followthough (flemish eye knot) would be a lot bulkier -

there is no way to tie a knot from inside the canoe when using tugeye - the rope passes thru a piece of plastic “hose” that connects the two sides

double fishermans
large knot, but it stays tied when you want it to be tied, and it can be undone when it needs to be undone.

Not all…

– Last Updated: Aug-29-11 7:39 PM EST –

Not all tugeyes are made of a piece of plastic hose that passes through both holes in the hull of the canoe; thus leaving no room for a knot inside the hull/under the decking.

Some tugeyes have no "center" section so to speak; knots can be tied inside the hull/under the decking.

Although it requires a little bit of manual dexterity, some knots "can" be tied without seeing them, and using only one hand. Use to practice doing just that, for use in cave rescue, when the lights all die.

BOB