Bow rudder vs. cross bow rudder

-- Last Updated: Jul-20-09 3:11 PM EST --

I guess I understand the difference between the two but not sure why one would be used versus the other. If I am correct, the bow rudder on either side has the same arm positions as one would do the sculling draw on that side? But if you keep those arm positions and then cross them over to the opposite side, it becomes the cross bow rudder? When would the cross bow rudder be used?

cross strokes
You use cross strokes to turn the canoe in a direction opposite to that which the onside stroke would do. If you are paddling on the right side a bow draw or onside Duffek will turn the canoe to the right (onside) and a cross bow draw or cross Duffeck will turn the canoe to the left.

An onside forward stroke on the right side will tend to turn the boat to the left and a cross-forward stroke to the right, etc.

Are you asking why not just switch paddling sides? You can, but it takes too much time, especially in whitewater.

I never use a cross bow rudder in the…
kayak, but “the bride” uses one a lot when we are on a tight twisty turning narrow river or mangrove tunnel, where she wants to make a quick turn.

I don’t understand it either.

Maybe it is a women thing!

Cheers,

jackL

Passing along a tidbit
I just took a class in which the cross bow rudder was described as being more effective (than bow rudder) with longer boats. I have been comparing them, back and forth in the same setting, and think the reason for this is that the position is more solidly supported. Make sure your rearward arm is bent at the elbow next to your waist, and you’ll feel what I mean.

body position
Xbow you get more anotomical posture for pulling on the blade. bow rudder you get a little bit of a [pretzel with arms/ shoulders.

JMO

steve

my favorite sticker
"The less you know, the more you believe"

Was it more stable for you when you attempted it?

Or maybe it was easier to keep the paddle in that position?

Which position had your body more locked-in?

Which position made the J-lean easier? And why?

Why was it hard to keep the paddle in that position when doing it the “usual” way?

Does having a lot of force on the paddle blade make the boat turn quicker?

But what happens to the momentum?

Which turn would be quicker?

Which would you leave with some momentum?

What strokes can you link into from x-bow rudder? How about the usual?

you wanta see a cross bowrudder?
take away my analog TV

Because I mostly canoe and have
a repertoire of cross strokes, I do find myself throwing an occasional cross bow when I kayak. It feels solid and impressive, but I think maybe that just suggests I need to work on my ordinary bow draw.

"Less judgment, more curiosity"
Just saw that sticker for the first time yesterday.

At the time, I didn’t think about it applying to different paddling techniques. But it fits.

I think you just answered why…
my wife does the cross bow in her kayak.

We are also canoe paddlers, and she being in the bow has a mean cross bow rudder that will turn us on a dime.

cheers,

jackL