Bow/stern tie downs on modern cars

I succeeded in getting my new canoe home. I made a set of straps and was able to attach them to a pair of bolts right next to the hood latch. The bolts were smaller than I would have liked but they held just fine, making up for the small diameter with deep threads. I made the holes in the webbing with my soldering gun. Melting through them helped seal the edges. With Yakima’s Hull Down on the rack and two straps there I really think I could have gone without the front and rear ties, but then I wasn’t taking any chances with strong wind gusts that day. I made mine too long and almost couldn’t get the tie downs short enough but it worked. Have since received the Yakima straps, these are quite a bit shorter. So am now the proud owner of a 16 foot Mad River Explorer with wood rails. I’ve had it out in the lake a couple times, can’t wait for a river run.

@Rookie said:
These work nicely: https://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports-Quick-Loops/dp/B00CHFH1V2

I use them for the front tie-down on my 2016 Honda FIt. No issues and not a mark on the paint job.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Put them under your hood and close it on them. Before I had these I would use two loop ended cam straps and loop them around the hood hinges. Or if you don’t have a loop cam strap, make a simple overhand loop knot with your cam strap and put the loop around the hood hinge. Very easy.

I learened this method years ago when I bought a canoe and showed up with a bunch of bungee cords. The salesperson advised that me bungees would be problematic and sold me two, short tie down straps. He made a quick loop knot on each end and looped them around the hood hinges. I thought WTF while watching him, but they worked great and I used that method for years with several models of cars including a Honda CRV, Honda Civic, Subaru Outback and Subaru Forester. It should work for any car. The advantage is that the straps are not in front of you the way they would be if you secured them to eyes under the front bumper.

The upper hinges on the front doors make good forward anchor points on many vehicles if you tie a loop of rope through them. For the rear, I use either the cargo loops inside the rear hatch of a small SUV, or the rear door latches on a small sedan, in both cases with a loop of rope or webbing through them that hangs outside when the door is closed.

@pmmpete where at did you attach the bolt? Would you possibly be able to take a wider photo? I just got a '17 Sorento, and here in California it’s illegal to be on the highway without a front tie down.

Quila386, look under the front of your Sorento. There are bolts underneath to the left and the right of the front license plate holder. I installed the D ring on the passenger side so the bow rope for my kayaks and canoe won’t be in the middle of my view when I’m driving. I don’t notice it when it’s on the passenger side.

The loops work…however I’ve found that just tying your thwarts to the bars at the 4 corner points, along the gunwales, will elliminate any forward and rearward movement. Add to them the two ties outside the gunwales…over the hull…and nothing will move. Granted getting one’s hands under the gunwales to tie is kind of a PITA, but it’ll hold solid if you can tie there.

I know, old thread. But if anyone with an explorer, or any other vehicle with a tow hook you can open the tie hook cover and held with the jack is a giant eye bolt that you can screw into the front of the truck and it makes a perfect point to attach a hook. On my 2017 explorer it’s right here in this pic.