Bowline

This year we purchased a better roof rack and kayak holders for our Kia Sportage however there is no place to secure a bowline tie down. I have done research and understand that not everyone uses them. I have seen people on the road without them however my wife feels more comfortable having the bowline securely tied down. Can anyone let me know how to do this without an actual anchor under the front bumper?

Good for your wife! I use one of these under the hood of my car for my bow tie-down. My car does have a tow hook for the stern so don’t need its mate (which is stored in my glove compartment). The loop gets installed in the spring, where it stays until winter’s ice.

https://www.seattlesportsco.com/sherpaktm-quick-loops.html

Think you mean “bow line” as a “bowline” is a knot… :slight_smile:
You can have a bowline in you bow line.
One of the most useful knots around boats.

That and a half hitch.
My Dad taught me the bowline . He learned it in the Navy in WWII.

The under the hood tie downs are great! Not too expensive, but if you choose to do so you can make your own with a bit of pvc pipe and a loop of sturdy rope. Works well with a rear hatch as well as a hood.

@Rookie said:
Good for your wife! I use one of these under the hood of my car for my bow tie-down. My car does have a tow hook for the stern so don’t need its mate (which is stored in my glove compartment). The loop gets installed in the spring, where it stays until winter’s ice.

https://www.seattlesportsco.com/sherpaktm-quick-loops.html

You can also make them from nylon strap. You need enough to stick out under the hood, say 15". Double it over and bore a hole through both ends with a heated nail. The strap can then be put on a screw or bolt under the hood.

I used heater hose, and climbing strap.

I just tie a bit of rope around something strong under my hood and let about a foot hang out all season. Looks SO good!

I have a pair of loops made by Yakima that are just like the ones Rookie recommended and they work well.

My favorite solution is to use scraps of “pulling tape”. It’s super strong and also thin and floppy so it easily fits in the gap between your hood and fenders. You can always find something to tie them to under your hood. You can leave them under your hood and bring them out when needed or leave them out for that sexy look. Mine are Kevlar. The trick is finding scraps since it is often sold in one mile rolls which may be more than you need. There’s a guy on a different forum that’s willing to send you ten feet for the price of postage and if you send me a private message I’ll give you his name since I’d rather not advertise on this forum.

I use the same ones @Rookie suggested.

For the 2 loops that I attach to secure anchor point underneath the hood of my F-150 pickup; I use nylon tubular webbing.
Breaking strength +/- 1,000 lbs.
The end of the loops are tied off in a water knot; the more you pull on that knot the tighter it gets.
My wife’s Escape has the exact same setup.
Never once an issue with that setup which we’ve used in excess of 10 years.
When not in use, they are stored under the hood, to avoid UV degredation to the nylon.

BOB

I am with your wife. If for no other reason, the bow line is the best way to see early on if something is moving around up there.

You don’t have to buy a hood loop, though those may be easier to use. I do as RussSeese, have a rope tied around a part of the frame under the hood, and for that rope can be easier. I use leftover lengths from redoing deck lines, since I get lines rated at several hundred to 1000 pounds for that. And tie it off to hang out from under the hood.

Then a trucker’s hitch on the bow line itself.

You can always tell when you are in kayaking country by people knowing what rope hanging out front is for.