Broke my paddle yesterday... :(

I’m not TOO heartbroken because it was just a cheapie aluminum and plastic thing that came with my (used) kayak. I’ve got a pro deal on Aquabound/BB stuff and am leaning towards the Eagle Ray Carbon, just on the fence between a 230 and a 240, wondering if I could get a few opinions.

I’m in a Dagger Blackwater 10.5 (27" wide), am 6’4" with a tall torso (I’d say evenly proportionate, 34" inseam and need Tall shirts if I want them to stay tucked in) and have not ventured out of flat water and slow river running (nothing more than a class II on rare occasion). I paddle for fun/touring, but am glad for the fitness aspect, and my natural stroke is low-angle, though I Really like to push water with a burst of high angle from time to time… the rec boat is like an anchor though (or maybe it’s just my 250lbs ~ lol).

I’m sick to death of reading/researching and know it’s subjective and up to each individual. I don’t have the option to try out paddles, just need one here by next weekend for a planned trip. Sorta leaning towards the 230 again, especially as I’m starting to look for a more touring-oriented (faster/more efficient and narrower) boat.

Cheers!

Brian

10’6" boat for a 200+ guy is a little…

– Last Updated: Sep-08-13 12:00 PM EST –

on the short side..especially if you want to tour a bit...y/n? Demo/rent something longer if possible. Fwiw...I've stayed with wood paddles.
Might want to take a look at a longer boat that'll work WITH you... Seems like if you want to get up to speed you're having to pull a lot to get short and wide(for the length) boat moving.. $.01.

I’m similar dimensions. I suggest
going down to 215 cm and using high angle paddling style.

I’ve tried a 210 (what my wife uses)
And it’s not something I can sustain over 40~50 miles/2 days. I have a shoulder injury from years ago that prohibits a sustained high-angle stroke. Given that most of my time on the water is doing overnight trips, that’s what I plan and buy equipment for. Especially since money is very tight…

240 is right out
Go 230 or 220 and don’t stress about it.

Carbon Eagle Ray is a very nice paddle.

Enjoy

Second the carbon Eagle Ray. It’s a
nice paddle.

Is it length, high angle or blade size
that hurts your shoulder?

Blade size is the killer for me. I’ve got to use the smaller bladed paddles for the sake of my shoulders, elbows and wrists.

It may not be the short paddle length & high angle stroke that hurt your shoulders, but an overly large blade size.

YMMV

Bought the 230 this morning…
just gotta wait on shipping now.

Wish I could say…
But the short paddle doesn’t have Huge blades (smaller than the paddle I broke) and my right shoulder was bothered by both paddles after ~30 minutes or so at high angle. shrug

High angle may work for me if I hit the perfect storm of equipment and technique, but low angle doesn’t bother me in the least regardless of equipment and technique. I could spend thousands upon thousands of dollars trying to make a high angle work, and never being able to. I learned with other hobbies to just do whatever’s needed to enjoy myself without the pain, on motorcycles that’s getting the bars to a certain position (not too hard), shooting it’s mostly a matter of keeping up with my PT exercise so I do those 2~3 ties a week, and none of my other hobbies really stress my shoulder.

keep your elbows in
You may be able to find a compromise “hi angle” stroke if you keep your elbows tight to your body as much as possible, and let your torso do the work.

Now get a boat that won’t work you
to death. I am also your size ,and although your boat will float you, there is so much hull in the water, the resistance is ferocious. I have been where you are with the shoulder.

Getting rid of that paddle was a good first step. Now find a 14’ to 16’ boat and feel the difference.