Budget paddle for relaxed trips

Hi everyone, I’m buying inflatable kayak, its pretty wide, and i need to buy paddles seperatley. Kayak model - Itiwit x100+

INFLATED SIZE Length: 12’ Width: 40.5

I guess i need paddle around 2.40m long to be somewhat comfortable. I was thinking just to grab those ones - Itiwit X100, 2-Part Adjustable Kayak Paddle | Decathlon? I like it due to length adjustability, but it is symmetrical, and i read some bad things about symmetrical ones. Is it that of a difference between assymetrical just for casual and relaxed days in a lake? Second choice i could make is from amazon -https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08QRBNDXV/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?adgrpid=77331021570&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcOTBhCZARIsAEAYLuXbv0ERZCWeYhB1Ll0zLv_nMdJaHdt9AonN7HVJbp1dING0BEI3l9IaAv8iEALw_wcB&hvadid=394602015069&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=1005310&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=3841137780259048021&hvtargid=kwd-299545265014&hydadcr=20025_1801382&keywords=kajak+paddel+230+cm&qid=1651582327&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVlVaOVJRUDJSR1FHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDIwMzQzMUM4VldRQUlZUE1QOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTEzNDYzMzE4VzJDNjY2REJJUiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= , but its not adjustable, so im not sure what size to get for my gf.

I live in Denmark, so not all brands is an option, but would love to hear some suggestions!

Thanks for the answers and have a nice day everyone!

I coule also get something like that https://www.amazon.de/XUXIAKE-Paddles-Carbon-230-250cm-Adjustable/dp/B09PMVBQ42/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?adgrpid=77331021570&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcOTBhCZARIsAEAYLuXbv0ERZCWeYhB1Ll0zLv_nMdJaHdt9AonN7HVJbp1dING0BEI3l9IaAv8iEALw_wcB&hvadid=394602015069&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=1005310&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=3841137780259048021&hvtargid=kwd-299545265014&hydadcr=20025_1801382&keywords=kajak%2Bpaddel%2B230%2Bcm&qid=1651582327&sr=8-3-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVlVaOVJRUDJSR1FHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDIwMzQzMUM4VldRQUlZUE1QOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzE0MzY1RjZSUjFIT0pKWVZYJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1, but is it really worth double the price?

You are basically asking how cheap can you go and be happy. That is a very individual question. I personally would n;t want to go below a fiberglass shaft/blade level paddle, which usually cost about $100-150.

Of the 2 you listed in your first post, I would go with the second choice Amazon one both because it is supposed to be lighter and because it is asymmetrical. I have too many questions on the “carbon” one to be willing to go for it.

Given how wide your boat is, I agree that 240 cm is probably the way to go.

I would be willing to spend up to 100€ for myself, as I’m going to paddle the most, and I guess I would grab cheaper one for my lady. Could you recommend anything specific in 100€ range? The problem is with popular brands, it seems the price is almost double in EU, if you compare it to USA…

I just went to the Amazon link you posted and ran a search for paddles that can be shipped to Denmark. Based on the many products I saw listed, I think there are better options for you and you should seek a non-metal shaft paddle that is closer to 100 euros. i did see several that were adjustable from 230 cm to 250 cm and with such a wide boat (more of a raft than a kayak, actually) you may need that additional length to comfortably paddle it.

I don’t usually recommend people buy kayak accessories from Amazon, but rather seek a brick and mortar dealer who offers a range of products and some trained personnel to help you choose. But that may not be an option for you.

You did not mention your body metrics or your GF’s. Unless both of you are fairly tall you may need fairly long paddles (as much as 250cm) to avoid continually bashing your hands on the sides of the boat. My BF and I used to have a 33" wide low sided tandem canoe with which we used kayak paddles. I am 5’ 4’ and paddled in the bow with a 230 cm paddle and he was 5’ 8" and paddled in the stern with a 240 cm. Since we were seated higher than you will be, I suspect you would need slightly longer paddles if you are similar size.

With the longer paddles you want to strive for the lightest you can afford or they could become quite tiring to use. Fixed length paddles will typically be lighter and cheaper and if you know what size you need that could be the best option. Is there a local kayak rental place or a paddling club where you could rent or borrow various paddle sizes and try them before committing to a size?

Normally, I would suggest trying to keep the paddle weight under about 2 lb (0.9 kg) for longer trips to avoid becoming fatigued by the paddle. However, I think you’ll find that a 40.5 inch wide, flat bottomed inflatable will kayak will be the factor that determines how quickly you become tired, especially for your lady. So, to get started, I wouldn’t worry about the weight of the paddle. Also, an inflatable isn’t a performance kayak, so I don’t think you notice much effect of blade shape. I would just go with two of the longer itiwit adjustable paddles to get you started at minimal cost.

1 Like

Well, i had before Intex explorer k2 inflatable, which was 36 inches and really poor quality, but it was still fun. So i guess it can’t be any worse than that. Thanks for your opinion, I’ll just get the Itiwiti cheap paddle, as i was afraid of the symmetrical shaft beeing really much of a difference in a bad way. But it seems it’s not. Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply, i dont think that local dealers are an option, as all their options basically starts from 150 Euro and goes up. I’m 5.7 ft and my gf is 5.6 . I guess i’ll just stick with Itiwiti longest paddle they offer, as i was afraid of symmetrical shaft, but it seems i wouldn’t see a big difference in that boat wide boat lol. Thanks again, appreciate your reply!