Build or buy, help a new guy

Turning Point has been showing these on their facebook page. LOL, see:

Epoxy gets soft with heat. Soften it with heat gun and scrape. On concrete I’ve used sanding methods. (Buffer and sand paper)

To All,
The newer epoxy like the MAS epoxy fumes less, but still wear respirator when working indoors.

You can be sensitize to the chemical with exposure. So gloves a good idea. Easier to clean hands afterwards too.

Look at the CLC, Mystery.

Talk to Mark N. He’s the builder racer.

I “epoxy dripped” two garages before I moved into a shop with an epoxy’ed floor. Now I protect during epoxy ops with card board.

Note too my strongback has landing gear that when down it can be moved around. Recommend that four cleaning .

1 Like

It is hard to commit to one design for a build.
I tried a Pygmy sea kayak, but sold it after a few years.
I like to buy quality used canoes and repair them.
I am mired in a repair on a wood and canvas canoe I have had for 25 years.

Based upon the type of kayaking you describe you will be doing and your comfort with your mechanical and craftsmanship ability, I think you may want to look into Pygmy kayaks. These are wooden kayak kits that come pre cut with all the supplies you need to build the kayak. They are stich and glue construction with fiberglass skin and build up into a very light weight but very durable kayaks. The Coho model, which is their longest touring kayak at 17’6" and 23" beam is probably the one you would want to look at. I think the estimated build time for the average person is 60 hours and no special tools are required. These boats are absolutely stunning to look at and they definitely turn heads. But most important, they are durable, lightweight and fast. Check out the website at Sea Kayak Kits: Award Winning Wooden Kayaks

Want fast

The pocket knife I cary and use most days has some epoxy on it from a decade ago. “It will wear off,” I thought. Man that stuff is durable.

1 Like

Alas, Pygmy is, at best, in a hiatus. Between covid and the owner not finding a buyer they have closed the store and shop and are not selling kits. I’ve built two and still have and enjoy my Arctic Tern 17. 60 hours is a bit optimistic for a novice they do go together MUCH faster than a strip kayak. Both that I built started in early July, floated around Labor Day, and were finished with 3 coats of varnish in mid-October.

Not surprised. Kayaking is a very small, niche market to begin with. So a sub group of people willing and able to build their own kayak has got to be very small indeed. With the challenges to small businesses in the past 18months this was bound to happen. Too bad.

1 Like