Building a wet wood fire

A pretty decent video on how to build a fire in wet conditions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvWRBHpRtRM

That’s a good video.
We had to go through this just last weekend on a group trip. Perfect conditions for hypothermia. A little easier for us here with Spanish moss and dry pine needles (and a good supply of matches), but the process was about the same.

Old Indian Trick: gasoline.

When I camped a lot, I used firestarters made from paper egg cartons, drier lint, and parafin.
Stuff the carton with lint, melt the parafin and pour it on the lint.
After it cools, you can cut out the individual pockets.
They are waterproof, light quickly and burn for awhile.

I’m doing the same with beeswax instead of paraffin, String. But you have to remember to bring it for it to do any good, eh? :wink:

Sort of like a paddle and PFD.

Match light charcoal…

…and matches?

@Steve_in_Idaho said:
I’m doing the same with beeswax instead of paraffin, String. But you have to remember to bring it for it to do any good, eh? :wink:

Just a reminder that beeswax is highly flammable when you’re heating it at home. A friend burned down a house doing that.

I use cotton wool balls coated in vasoline (petroleum jelly) works a treat and costs next to nothing.

@Punterpete said:
I use cotton wool balls coated in vasoline (petroleum jelly) works a treat and costs next to nothing.

You can stuff a lot of those things into an old waterproof film canister or a more current equivalent.