Bum Back

-- Last Updated: Nov-09-05 7:28 PM EST --

I have a bum back but am wanting to get back into paddling. Are there any suggestions to getting back into it? All the waters here are calm. I have a problem with making the repeatitive motion of paddling. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe
I have two disks that have lost the “jelly in the donut” from too many years of roofing. I can’t sit very long without support (Mike’s suggestion) but find I can kneel without any backpain. But some do find kneeling uncomfortable on the ankles and knees. With my style of paddling and the type of boats I paddle kneeling also works better, so it’s a win, win for me.

Mike

bad back…
Have you looked at the Hobie sit on top you peddle? It works remarkably well as long as the water is a foot or so deep. One guy even used one on a long journey in the Keys. That would get you back on the water without the back worries.

My back is a mess and I currently
have a ruptured disc between L4 and 5. I have been doing Pilates exercises targeting my abs plus ‘traditional’ back exercises. It seems to be working. My most comfortable boat is a canoe with a tractor seat , knee braces , and a footbrace. I made and installed all the braces made from minicell.

Another good idea
is to strengthen your core muscles. Hook up with a reputable trainer in developing an exercise program. To have a healthier back, you need to strengthen abdominal muscles as well as the small intrinsic muscles that hold the spinal bones together. Actually bobbing on rough water in your boat would be an excellent addition to those types of exercises. (chiropractor who paddles)

One other thing
that works for me is to be able to shift from sitting to kneeling, and back again. First time I did th e 70 miler I drove the canunut crazy with my shifting( and probobly cost us a place)

After years of paddling I find that my back hurts less and less…

Where there is a will…
there is a way!

First what is you paddling method?

Do you sit and switch or do you paddle on one side for a long time using a J stroke to keep on course.

Which ever your method is, why not try the opposite?

Second: Have you tried cutting your power in half and being content to go slow which should put a lot less strain on yourself.

I hope it works out for you.

Cheers,

JackL

Lots of Good Imfo Here

– Last Updated: Nov-10-05 10:50 AM EST –

Never had a major injury like others here, but have a chronic case of "Nurses" back from lifting arround on people for 25 years. Wood cutting, tractors, et al haven't helped. If I sit more than about 30 minutes I have to have some support. I have a Sitbacker chair, which is O.K., but it will occasionally get in the way. Wenonahs seat backs and Crazy Creek seat backs also work, but a little less supportive than the Sitbacker, but less inclined to get in your way. The two that are most comfortable for me are caned ones that slide on the bottom of the seat, and the ones that have brackets to mount to the bottom of the seat and slide the seat into it. My friend Vic, here on P.net actually takes this one step farther and uses a little "Mini" thermarest seat pad that he puts behind the seat. A slower pace, position changes, breaks, etc. will help tremendously. And I swear using my light weight Zaveral paddle helps too. I was the kind of person who for years refused to spend more than $50 for a paddle. I would have never tried a Zav if Mick (Mcwood here on P.net) hadn't insisted I try his. Now I'm a "Convert." I've got two of the cheapest (Rec) paddles, but they have held up well to rocky, shallow Ozark streams. Didn't intend for this to turn into a Zaveral testimony, but these things have all helped quell my chronic back pains while I'm paddling. Take care. WW

Bum Back
During the latter years of my practice of Physical Therapy, I became interested in the treatment of low back pain. I found that most of my LB patients had sacroiliac dysfunction as a primary or secondary cause of their pain. This condition causes asymetry of the pelvis and one of its manifestations is a functional leg length descrepancy. This can be determined by simply lying on your back in a straight line and check the length of your legs or better yet, have someone else take a look. If you find you are positive(one leg noticably longer than the other) with this test, you may email me directly and I’ll describe an easy self correction for this.