bumfortable foam seat

What is it? Where can I get info? Will it work in an Ellesmere? How much?

Make your own or…
You can also buy the one from Redfish Kayaks as jbv suggested.

I made my own seat and it’s super comfortable for all-day paddling.

If you want a custom fit you can take a mold of your bottom and use it to carve your own foam seat. I used casting material on top of memory foam to get a mold of my son’s bottom and used it to carve his seat. It takes the guess-work out of the equation. If you think you want to go this route, and want further instructions, let me know.

Pedro Almeida

@ 46
and after many years of hard labor, my back and boney butt need all the help they can get.

I have my sights on a set to buy but will also opt for trying to make one. The suggestions have been great and I will pay heed.

My though on a mini-cell seat is to simply wet my rear end and make a stamp on the grsy matter to comence carving.

Seats and backrest have been by bugaboo since day one but I refuse to give up my one true joy in life.

Paddle On

custom shape for a minicell seat
This is from one of my posts on the Kayak Building Bulletin Board:

Sweet Composites has good prices for minicell. http://sweetcomposites.com/Minicel.html

This explains how I made a minicell seat for my son’s kayak; it should work for adults as well:

Problem: I wanted to carve a minicell seat for my boy’s kayak, but how would I know what shape to give it? A five year old isn’t going to be able to tell you where you need to remove more material in order to get a better fit.

Solution: I made a mold of my son’s bottom while sitting in a padding position and used it as a reference to carve the seat.

I took the memory foam mattress topper from our bed and folded it three layers thick on the floor and up against a wall. I cut a garbage bag open and laid out some strips of plaster bandage on it. I used four layers of plaster bandage, two layers with the strips laid front to back, and two layers with the strips running side to side, alternating with each subsequent layer. The plastic with the plaster bandage went on top of the memory foam (the plastic is there to protect the foam) and my son went on top of the plaster bandage. I made sure to keep him in positon with his back up against a spare block of minicell acting as a backrest and his feet at the proper distance from the backrest. Ten minutes later, I had a good mold of my son’s bottom and upper thighs.

To carve the seat, I made four cardboard cross sectional forms for different parts of the seat. One was for the shape right down the middle from front to back, and three were for the shape of the seat from one side to the other. The three side-to-side forms were for the front, near the back where the sit bones (ischial tuberosities) are located, and one in between those two. As I carved the seat, I checked my progress with the four forms and “faired-in” the areas in between. It worked like a charm and took the guess work out of carving a seat.

Good luck,

Pedro Almeida

Happy Seat
From CLC is the winner. Can’t beat the price and I spend my work days sawing and toiling.

also
eric jackson’s sweet cheeks

http://www.jacksonkayak.com/store/product.cfm?product=sweetcheeks

That Air Hose

– Last Updated: Feb-07-08 11:29 PM EST –

reminds me of a scene from the movie "Airplane"

How to use the Jackson seat.

"Sit on it, trying to position yourself perfectly over the bucket of your seat and evenly on the bag.

Blow air into the Sweet Cheeks while sitting on it until it lifts you up 1" and then let your weight push the air out. Repeat this step 5 times. "

I would hate to do that while others are watching.

That looks…
very comfortable.

Careful, John!!!
You may not want to talk about Eric’s Sweet Cheeks that way!! LOL…

Scott L

(BP #1)