Busted Racks, J Cardles & Heavy Wind

Had Yakima J racks fail.
I had a Yakima J rack fail on the interstate through the North Caroline mountains. There is a section with a posted sign warning of bad cross winds possible. This day it was raining and a bit of wind. I saw the trucks and trailers hit this section and getting blown off into the shoulder and back on. I slowed down and it hit.

This was several years ago and was a small kayak, a Ocean Kayak Yak Board that I take to the beach to ride in the surf. When it hit from the right it completely bent the front J rack mount. The kayak came out of the cradle but luckily I had the bow tied down to the front of the car. It just hung out the left side a bit and was fine and we came to a stop in the emergency lane.

Never will use one again. I now just put them all deck down on the Thule bars. Or I have an old school Thule stacker I use which works great.

Same problem yesterday
I just posted an almost identical message a few minutes ago. I had my kayak blow clean off of my car yesterday. It was firmly secured. Strong winds and the occassional semi truck blowing by me must have caused too much tension. The sadles look like a much better design than the J carriers. I’ll be looking at the wind just as much as a hydrograph form now on. You live you learn I guess.