Buying Kayaks for me and wife

@Doggy Paddler said:
Or here’s an Eddyline Samba with a very good paddle for $1000. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if you could get it for less. Might fit your wife. Look around, it can be fun.

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/spo/d/pittsfield-kayak-eddyline-samba13/6933250153.html

She would definitely fit. The Samba was my third boat and I still use it for rivers. Eddyline has excellent cockpit outfitting and the seat is adjustable.

So a Tsunami 140 would be too big for my wife? She was happy paddling the Perception (forget which model) that was at least 16 feet. I was in the same model. Reason I ask is because I found :
https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/amherst-kayaks/6962145692.html

Length isn’t the issue, volume is. I won’t offer more advice because I’m pretty ignorant about these things. When a boat fits, man, it just fits. That’s what sold me on mine. I was at a demo day, I paddled a lot of boats and the Cetus, for me, just fit.

Go to a Demo Day, you won’t regret it, ok, maybe your wallet will. Mine did. :- )

@lml999 said:

@BobDoh said:
I’m located in metro west MA.

I suggest that you visit Charles River Canoe & Kayak. You can try out a variety of kayaks and shop their used/clearance sale!

https://paddleboston.com/

That’s great idea. They will let you demo for free. Then if you like some better than others, rent them for a couple of hours.

Also, I did find a new Tsunami 140 for 1100 and a 125 for 934.

@BobDoh said:
So a Tsunami 140 would be too big for my wife? She was happy paddling the Perception (forget which model) that was at least 16 feet. I was in the same model. Reason I ask is because I found :
https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/amherst-kayaks/6962145692.html

Notice the “can be equipped with a rudder” That stuff isn’t free. There are tons of used boats out. We live in SW NH and I’m on craigslist all the time. There are really good deals out there and coming. I strongly suggest a rudder or skegged boat. You won’t need it in a decent hull until the winds are just so and then you will need it. I prefers kegs, but they both hav their plusses and minuses.

And join some of the local meetups, this area is crawling with them. We belong to both Western Mass, Scenic Kayaks and NH AMC. All good groups.

Remember try before you buy!

@BobDoh said:

Also, I did find a new Tsunami 140 for 1100 and a 125 for 934.

I found a better deal for you at Newbury Kayak. They list a used Tsunami 140 for $750. While you’re there try out other boats. The P&H Delphin 155 Surf and Venture Islay 14 also look interesting and it fit your cost requirements.

They have two hurricanes. I would steer clear of the Santee. It’s a good bomb around at your camp for a half hour boat. That’s it. The 14’ version is decent although it lacks ability for a skeg (you can only put a rudder on it). I’ve paddled one like it (and this may be the one we traded in).

I’ve paddled a Tsunami 140, and I’m 5’6” and 135. I found it quite a bit too big. I’m thinking it might fit you well, but would be too wide and deep for your wife. However the try-before-you-but advice is very good.

I think some folks who are searching for their very first boat get hung up on making the perfect purchase. But the reality is if you get into kayaking this will be a “journey” that involves owning several boats, either one at a time or concurrently.

Some folks will look at really short boats and think they will be easier and more enjoyable, but if you intend on paddling in a variety of water conditions then a longer boat will perform better.

Some folks will try sitting in a boat with a large volume cockpit and remark how roomy and easy it is to enter. But tighter fitting boats with good contact for your feet, knees and hips will give you better control and performance in a wider range of conditions.

Both you and your wife have average body shapes and mass that will fit well with a large array of choices. As the “season” will be ending you should find a good number of contender boats coming up on the used market. So, you can be picky. I would spend solid hours digging into the vast number of threads on this forum. Tons of well written information if you dig for it. I would also try as many boats as you can. As others have mentioned buying a solid popular used boat is a low risk purchase. You can always sell if you move on to a different boat. Often used boats come with extra gear. Make sure you purchase ALL the required safety and recovery gear.

If you can pay for group lessons or private instruction, even if it eats into your boat budget. It might prove money well spent even if it means you have to buy a more scratched boat to get started. There are several great kayaking books out there that are worth reading. And then there is YouTube: some great videos on paddling technique, safety and adventure outings to suck you in deeper to all things kayaking.

@PhotoMax said:
I think some folks who are searching for their very first boat get hung up on making the perfect purchase. But the reality is if you get into kayaking this will be a “journey” that involves owning several boats, either one at a time or concurrently.

This ^^^^

My first boast lasted about 10 years. My second boat, I dunno, 10 months? Eventually you figure out what you want out of paddling. First boats don’t matter. Buying used means you don’t lose your shirt.

@NotThePainter said:

@PhotoMax said:

This ^^^^

My first boast lasted about 10 years. My second boat, I dunno, 10 months? Eventually you figure out what you want out of paddling. First boats don’t matter. Buying used means you don’t lose your shirt.

I’ve noticed you’re a boastful dude.

Yes, Tsunami 140 is too big for your wife. She is a couple of inches taller than me but still a small paddler, especially on weight. If you choose Small on WS’s own web site they will not list any Tsumanis for a small paddler.

You are not properly accounting for the fact that you really do not yet understand what fit should be for spending a long happy time traveling in a kayak. It is deck height (the 140 is IMO a bit high at 14"), overall volume to get to the right waterline (the max capacity for the Tsumani 140 is more than three times your wife’s weight), etc. And I don’t think you are seeing anything but length. In fact a 16 ft Tempest 165 is a better fit for her than the shorter Tsunami 140. Because of volume, deck height, width etc.

The fact that she was OK plugging along in a 17 ft boat that was likely too large for her in a first time out does not mean that she will be happy trying to keep up with you over longer trips in a boat is over volume for her. She will be tired and will be struggling to match your speed.

The long term result is that you become a solo paddler. I have seen this happen over and over when the guy jumps out and makes choices for the wife before they themselves understand what fit should be. If you want that result fine, but if you want a paddling companion take the time to go to Charles River or other places within a reasonable drive to get some proper help in fitting.

@PhotoMax said: Both you and your wife have average body shapes and mass that will fit well with a large array of choices.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. The OP is of an average size that will fit well with a large array of choices, but the OP’s wife weighs only 120 and therefore is well outside the range of what your average kayak is designed for, especially recreational kayaks.

If she wants to get into the sport at all seriously she’ll need to seek out a low-volume boat, and likely one on the smaller end of those.

Well, my wife is pushing to have 14 foot Tsunami. She says she doesn’t really care and goes back to the sea kayak at 16 feet that felt fine. So what are some examples of a low-volume boat that would fit my wife. I’m totally on board with getting her a boat that will equalize us so that we can easily stay together on the water.

Got it! I must admit as a new paddler who is 6’4”, most of my research has been on boats that would work for me. But there are some really good threads focussed (on this forum) on boats that work for slender females. I hope to get my wife (who is 5’6” & 125 pounds) into paddling as well. She wants me to get super comfortable first, so I am VERY interested in this arena…

To the OP: if you guys want to paddle in the ocean then dig through this forum. There is a TON of great info here. Being out in salt water is amazing, but you have to be prepared and have the right gear.

So maybe it is your wife that needs to understand that a better fitting boat is easier for her to paddle - either way take the time while air and water are still warm to sort this out. And minimum deck lines and two bulkheads if you are nearer Boston like it appears. You will want to go into the salty stuff and the minute you try to do rescues you will find out you (and she) want that. Skinnier and longer overall tends to mean faster.

If anything she needs a boat that is faster than yours, since she has the less powerful engine (herself).

Most of the below current/new boats can be found used or at a reduced price before winter hits if it was a demo.
I am not going to include the Hurricane boats because you already said you loved paddling in Maine. So do I, every summer for a lot of years now. And I would not think about trying that layup on those rocks.

I am looking for boats with a max load of more like twice your wife’s weight than three times, a cockpit that is narrower and shorter than would be for you, lower deck. Thigh braces are no good if the paddler can’t easily reach them. You can do this too.

Wilderness Systems, filter for Small Paddler - SINKs are Zephyr 155 and Tempest 165 (someone above already mentioned the Zephyr)

Current Designs - Nothing there for a 120 pound skinny paddler until you get to the specialty British, Greenland etc boats. Squamish might be a go for her, good height, cockpit dimensions and improved overall volume (250 lb max) for her. I tried looking in Greenland style, used to be at least one good fit there, but the link keeps sending me to the Danish boats.

Having a bit of trouble with some like Venture, can’t determine a useful cockpit size for her.

You can do a Small paddler filter at Perception’s web site under kayaks.

And there are older models, available used if you look around, that are good matches for a paddler her size. But you might find one or two of these at an outfitter, being tuned around as used boats that she could sit in. So start there.

Tell your wife that the length of the boat is like the length of a pair of jeans, and has zero to do with how the jeans will fit her.

The kayak has to be a good width and depth for her to control it well, i.e. it’s gotta fit her weight and butt right. If it’s too big (Tsunami, etc) her body will have little contact with the boat and she will therefore have no ability to use her body to help control the boat.

P.S. My current boat, which fits me well, is 16 feet long, but (here’s the key) only 22” wide and 12.5” deep. In contrast, the Tsunami 140 is 25.5” wide and 14” deep. That extra 3.5” in width is huge, even if it doesn’t sound like it.