Buying Kayaks for me and wife

Another note: that used Eddyline Samba I linked to above is close to 14 feet long at 13’ 10”, but the width is only 22.5” and the depth is 12.5”. Rookie, who commented above, owns and likes one of these, and I believe she’s a bit smaller than your wife.

@BobDoh said:
So what are some examples of a low-volume boat that would fit my wife.

That used Samba is a good example of a kayak for a small paddler. It has a 22" beam and maneuvers easily. If the seller is located nearby, definitely worth a drive just to have your wife sit in the cockpit on land so she can get an idea of what contact with the boat means.

As suggested above, it’s in your best interests to work with a reputable shop specializing in touring kayaks (not a box store) with experienced staff. Even better if they offer lessons and will supply the kayaks.

Here’s the link to the Current Designs paddler size and fit chart, in the event you come across some used CD boat. https://cdkayak.com/ChoosingKayak.aspx

@Doggy Paddler said:
Tell your wife that the length of the boat is like the length of a pair of jeans, and has zero to do with how the jeans will fit her.

The kayak has to be a good width and depth for her to control it well, i.e. it’s gotta fit her weight and butt right. If it’s too big (Tsunami, etc) her body will have little contact with the boat and she will therefore have no ability to use her body to help control the boat.

All true. But it is much easier to find narrow kayaks longer than 15’ than in the shorter boats, which tend to be wide.

A used Romany or Romany LV would be a stable kayak that she can grow skills with. Width is about 21.5”, same as the also-commendable Tempest 165.

Some manufacturers (like NDK and Venture) produce LV (low volume) models of their standard kayaks that are proportioned to fit smaller people better. Your wife should look at those if she has a chance. She would probably be happier in a kayak no wider than 23" beam. I’m a bit bigger than her (5’ 5" and 145#) and I like the fit of my 22" beam 15’ Venture Easky 15 LV. Unfortunately, they no longer import that model from England to the US but they do sell the 14’ Islay LV if you can find a dealer. An advantage to an Easky 15 LV ,if you can find a used one, is that the boat only weighs 46 pounds, 7 pounds less than the Tsunami 140. I have loaned my Easky to numerous female friends smaller than me and all of them really liked it – my brother is about your size *5’ 10" 175# and 33 inch waist) and he loves it too, says it feels like a “sports car” compared to other kayaks he has rented or his own bigger Necky Looksha 17.

Personally, I have found 15’ kayaks to be the most practical size for most any river, lake or coastal kayaking, have even taken the Easky in class 1 and 2 open whitewater. The only thing shorter boats are better for is small winding streams. Longer generally means the boat can be slimmer and faster, even lighter in some cases.

So we went to Boston Paddler today. Going back tomorrow to try out 2 new Tsunami’s . I’m gonna try the 145 and my wife will try the 140. Both have rudders. We’ll get 15% off boats and 15% off all the accessories we need such as rack, paddles, PFD’s. Seems like the Tsunami is a popular well liked boat that should perform well for us in lakes, rivers and coastal waters. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Perception Eclipse boats we used in Maine.

Great - while you’re there ask to try out a few other boats - it’s a perfect opportunity to see what they feel like.

Three boats they have that might be interesting for your wife to try are:

Eddyline Fathom LV
Wilderness Systems Tempest 165
P&H Scorpio LV.

These are all designed for smaller paddlers. As long as you’re demoing boats it’s to your advantage to at least get a feel for some others.

You too! Try a few before you buy. Have fun!

The Fathon LV is too expensive, the Tempest is not for sale, and the P&H is really heavy. We considered all those as well as others. The other two that might be a possibility is a used Fathom(not the LV) and a used Nighthawk 16. I sat in the Nighthawk and found out what it’s like to sit in a boat that is way too small. My wife fit it much better and the Fathom fit me really well. So we’ll see.

Bob, even if those boats are out of your price range, I’m just advising you and your wife to try them out. If you’re considering dropping a few grand at the store they will likely be happy to accommodate you, and that will give you valuable knowledge going ahead in case you really like any of them.

For example right now there are 2 Fathom LVs for sale on Craigslist in your rough area. (I know because I’m constantly scouting used low-volume boats for my spouse & me.) If is demoed a Fathom LV and knee I loved it, that would make snagging a used one much easier.

Second going used if you can, for lots of good reasons. Not the least of which is that what got you interested to start with was a paddle in coastal Maine. Those islands get sooo tempting, it is why my husband and l started kayaking.

Here is what it you may easily find you want, times two in your case, by about mid July this coming year. Assuming you find boats before the snow flies.

Really comfortable pfds. New there, because the built in flotation ages, with short backs. 100 bucks or so.

Lightweight paddles, 160 to 500 bucks new each depending on how you indulge yourselves. At least one spare paddle, which you will also end up wanting to replace with a lightweight one after the first time you forget something and you actually have to use the backup all day,

Clorhing that will take you into chillier water in a craft where getting wet is part of the equation. Like Maine where ocean temps stay around 60 on the warmest days. The nylon coated stuff is cheaper but tends to have a limited life span. The really comfortable stuff is more than you think you want right now. If you really love paddling you will likely change your mind.

VHF with weather alert, for anywhere offshore. Takes one time of being caught a mile offshore when an oops storm comes thru to value this one.

Skirts, neo best for warmth, coated material can seem less daunting. 80 or so either way.

Accessories that make all the diff, neoprene gloves, a neo hood to handle chills. Boots and shoes are a personal choice, l live with one pair of basic neo zipped ankle highs and one pair of mukluks, boots from A scuba shop, year round. I know a number of people who get fancier w footwear. Initial set of dry bags, go smaller sizes to start.

Rack system for the car, at some point.

Kayaking is a wonderful sport but doing it offshore in the northeast involves more stuff than inland small ponds. I haven’t mentioned a decent amount of what l carry but it it takes a little time to figure out why some of the stuff.

Bob
Wish you were closer as there’s a Venture Easky 15 consignment and a Demo 2019 Venture Islay 14 fleet kayak at my place. Those are the likely kayaks in the budget range you’re looking at although it is about time for me to thin the demo fleet for winter.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

It seems to me that you’re fixed on getting a Tsunami.

Again I’ll mention that Newbury Kayak has a used “Tsunami 140: Ex-demo, excellent condition. $750” I know how they treat their demos (gently). It’ll be a near new. I know you’re looking at the 145 for you but a half foot probably isn’t going to make a heck of a lot of difference in performance and it certainly won’t hurt your wallet as much.

Visit Newbury Kayak in Newbury, MA. You’re in MetroWest it’s an hour or so straight shot out either 128 or 495 (pretty much). Great people, good selection of new & used boats. They’ll work with you to find a good boat for fit/performance/price. You’re going to wind up spending a lot of money initially. As Celia mentioned there are a ton of other things to buy. It adds up. Don’t rush into it. Test a LOT of kayaks before buying one. Heck, rent a lot before you buy your first used one off Craigslist (in other words don’t rush). Buy it used if you can because you’ll develop your skills. What once felt scary will feel like it’s holding you back in a year or two and you’ll end up wanting another boat. I wish that I had done that route instead. The new Hurricane that I got a couple years ago? I took a $500 dollar hit when I sold that boat. My husband took an $800 hit when he sold his.

For the TLDR; crowd: Take your time, resist that urge to buy the first shiny thing. Try out a lot of boats. Go to more than one retail outfit (yep, they do differ). Save some money for accessories (paddles, PFD, gloves, etc). Buy used.
_**

@BobDoh said:
The Fathon LV is too expensive, the Tempest is not for sale, and the P&H is really heavy. We considered all those as well as others. The other two that might be a possibility is a used Fathom(not the LV) and a used Nighthawk 16. I sat in the Nighthawk and found out what it’s like to sit in a boat that is way too small. My wife fit it much better and the Fathom fit me really well. So we’ll see.

The Scorpio LV has a listed weight of 55 lbs; the Tsunami 140 is listed at 53. Not sure if those numbers are accurate, but if so the Scorpio is very marginally heavier and will likely fit her better.

Doggy Paddler,

Weight will depend on the vintage of Scorpio. Older Corelite is heavier than the new 2018-2019 CoreLite-X.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Interesting, thank you Marshall!

Don’t agonize over the purchase. Buy what you want now, it probably won’t be your last!

We bought the Tsunami’s! We tried them out and they were so comfortable, they fit both of us very nicely. I felt like they went thru the water very nicely. Not as effortless as a sea kayak but far better than a recreational. We’re both happy with the purchase and even though my wife doesn’t know it , like rnsparky said, it won’t be our last boat!

Oh, and thanks to all for the input.

Welcome to the club, BobDoh, and congrats! Live long, prosper, and paddle forward! :slight_smile:

Enjoy! There’s still a couple of months of warm water, so paddle now!

@Doggy Paddler said:
The Scorpio LV has a listed weight of 55 lbs; the Tsunami 140 is listed at 53. Not sure if those numbers are accurate, but if so the Scorpio is very marginally heavier and will likely fit her better.

Manufacturers listed weights are usually not accurate. Things like some emasure without hatch covers on, while others measure with.

That said, Wilderness Systems plastic seems more flexy (maybe thinner? Or maybe the P&H uses 3-layer) than P&H. That stiffness does provide strength and slight efficiency benefits. This from a guy who paddles mostly Dagger Kayaks, which is a sister company to Wilderness Systems.