Buying my first kayak, help needed please!

Not too far from me but 17ft would be a bit long I think for a first one, would like to stay 12-12’ possibly :slight_smile:

Am looking everyday to see what pops up!

At my 250# a strong stroke pushes water up the scuppers of the 12 ft SOT wetting my shorts. I normally don’t paddle anything shorter than 14ft.

What do you paddle, just so I can get an idea? Thanks

Old Towne Egret …rec boat 24"beam 13’9"+/-, paddle for a change …surf, fishing, etc kind of a “beater” but in good condition. Once knocked off the top of the truck camper by a light pole ****"

Cheasepeak 17, Sea kayak for most everywhere…wood/epoxy composite.

14.5 ft solo canoe made from a hull that washed up under our dock …when I go out with the canoe club

Ocean Kayak, 12ft fishing kayak…sit…never paddle it any more wife does with 80# retriever in back compartment.

18ft tandem rec kayak of unknown make…wife paddles it with dogs…

****"…sale price $250…then I bought $1000 worth of accessories skirt, cockpit cover,. Racks, cart, etc

1 Like

Thanks for this, quite helpful, I see that the Cheasepeak 17 in theory holds up to 300pds “only”, guess the length helps with the max weight capacity.

Yes…note paddlers weight 180 to 250.
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/kayak-kits/touring-kayaks/chesapeake-17-sea-kayak-kit.html

My upper body weight can cause some roll motions when sitting still. Paddle and it calms out. Note as with all kayaks stability comes from the paddlers.

Unless the kayak is built like a skiff.

1 Like

aborriello

You seem to be hung up on the numbers. The numbers don’t matter. 12’ 15’ 17, weight, etc… these are all just numbers. Numbers don’t mean anything. Sitting in a boat, and paddling, that’s all that matters. Very hard now, yeah, it sucks, but numbers don’t matter.

1 Like

I’m not hung up on the numbers, 10 or 14ft is good for me, I just don’t want to get something which is not fit for me and will sink or be way too hard to paddle because of size & weight, no point in getting a kayak which is too small and not right for the waters I will want to use it on, that’s all.

The Perception Captiva is a 16 foot kayak sized for large paddlers, and it’s stable (similar to the Carolina) so suitable for beginner/intermediate paddlers. It’s no longer made but I’ve seen used ones go for well under $500.

Here’s an example, but not close to you:

https://used-kayaks.com/perception/yellow-perception-captiva-kayak-16-feet-rudder-local-pickup-newton-ma-50698

1 Like

The problem with short boats in bays happens when the weather turns. If you paddle at all you will quickly find that the end of the day never looks like the beginning of the day.

A short boat will beat you teeth and kidneys loose from their moorings.

A 15 or sixteen foot boat will treat you better. The Perception Carolina line all have very large cockpit openings and might work for you.

Hopefully, the thoughts of shorter boats is not about a problem with storage. If it is, there are several ways to store a boat from a ceiling.

2 Likes

Agreed. In general the numbers do matter. Longer boats handle chop and waves better and definitely track better. Less fatiguing. And a plus is they’re faster.

1 Like

No problem with storage space luckily so not big factor on my list.

Quick question, https://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/kayaks/carolina-140, it says it’s “best” for “calm coastal”, would this be considered a bay which is calm for example?

To give you all some context, this is where I would “launch” from and do most of my paddling:

I paddle inland waters and even though mostly calm I’ve had unexpected storms come out of the mountains that made paddling very tough. Every kayak and canoe handles calm water well, it’s the waves, chop and wind you need to be prepared for.

2 Likes

Ggdgn

True, I’m not near any mountains (I’m pretty close to Sandy Hook, NJ), its pretty clear so you can kinda see when/where the bad weather would be coming, but as you said wind/bad weather can come out of nowhere regardless of where you are.

Trying to find second had kayaks but not much around me right now and what is near me is not suitable for me unfortunately, but will keep looking!

msparky, I think you need some size 13 XXXL. . YOou aren’t a sprinter are you?

A few thoughts. In general the shorter and wider the boat, the slower and more effort is required to paddle it. If you are planning on paddling solo (which many do not recommend for safety reasons) having a slow boat is not an issue. If you are going to be paddling with friends, it will be an issue unless they have the same types of boats. You will have trouble in keeping up.

A wide boat will feel much more stable in calm water. However, if you have waves coming at you from the side, a skinnier boat will tend to allow you be remain upright while a wide boat will follow the wave form leaning you over. For this reason shorter wider boat are generally not recommended for open water. Longer skinnier boats handle waves better. Also, the longer a boat is, for the same width, the greater the weight capacity. Your size is not at all unusual for many sea kayakers. If you get to try out some boats, do not be put off if a boat seems too tippy at first. You will grow into this very quickly. Many people who bought wider boats for this reason regretted it after a few weeks.

I’m familiar with the waters you pictured. I’ve paddled in the Shrewsbury and Navesink rivers as well as around Sandy Hook. These are indeed coastal waters and can get very rough very quickly, especially with summer thunderstorms and the strong on-shore winds that can develop in the afternoons. My boat is 18’ x 21". I would not venture out in these waters with anything less than a 14’ boat. Whatever type of boat you buy it’s critical that it either has a sealed hull or fore and aft flotation so that you can get back in the boat in the event of a capsize and it will not sink or end up with the cockpit rim under water. Self and assisted rescue techniques with a sit-in kayak requires training and practice. You can’t just climb back in. A swamped boat will weigh hundreds of pounds and is almost impossible to tow to shore. A spray skirt is an integral part of a sea kayak, not an optional accessory. It only takes a few inches of water in a kayak to make it very unstable. Again training and practice is essential to wear one safely. In normal times I would strongly advice an introductory class to cover safety and the basics. Alternately, hook up with a kayaking group like on Meetup. Most kayakers are happy to share knowledge and offer free training.

Unfortunately, you have picked a very tough time to take up kayaking. All of the normal kayak demos that are normally held this time of the year where you could try out a variety of boats have been cancelled as well as introductory classes. It’s probably also why you aren’t finding any used boats for sale as people aren’t ready to deal with strangers coming by. Normally, at this time of year you would find dozens of used boat for sale. Used is definitely the way to go with your first boat. Very few people stay with their first boat as they gain experience and knowledge. Used kayaks hold their value very well and you can probably sell a used boat for what you paid for it. In normal times you should be able to buy a used 14-16’ plastic sea kayak for about $700. Occasionally there are some real steals on high end boats.

3 Likes

Appreciate the thoroughness of your comment. I will wait to get one, they are re-opening parks here in NJ this weekend so will scout other lakes where I could potentially go. Initially I had thought to use it in the bay I live by as don’t need a car to bring it there and it’s open now even during these times. There are quite a few places near me the rent kayaks, Sandy Hook or lakes, so hopefully they will be open by the summer so can try paddling in different waters with different kayaks and see how it goes.

[rstevens15] Best comment so far!

Take it from me and I’m only 250 lbs, some of those weight capacities are wishful thinking. I have a 13’ SOT that is 30" wide and at 250 lbs there is always water coming up in the scupper holes and sloshing around the deck and I have a 12’ Blackwater that sits so low when I am in it, that I get water over the stern if a wave hits me right ( I weighed a lot less when I bought it). Best bet is demo before you buy and I would try to never be more than 50% of the total weight capacity yourself not counting gear.