Buying my first kayak, help needed please!

There are very few kayaks that hold 450/500pds (that are not fishing yaks, don’t want/need one of those, unless I have to), will test some out and see but will be a while before I can. I see the Blackwater should hold up to 345pds (if I looked at the correct one), making me worry now! haha I don’t plan on carrying any gear except for paddle, PFD, bottle of water and that’s about it, I would just go short paddles to begin with.

I have found 4-5 lakes/ponds/reservoirs where I can go near me so hopefully open water won’t be so much of a deciding issue anymore.

How about this one? https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/d/point-pleasant-beach-16-ft-wilderness/7107164149.html

Its old but super cheap. This way you can find out what you like and don’t like and then sell it next spring for what you paid for it. And, with your budget you can get an exceptional paddle and maybe even a roof rack. Note, this boat will be heavy which has its own challenges for car topping.

2 Likes

I had seen this as well, appreciate your help! I’m looking everyday on multiple sites to see what pops up.

Also, now parks have reopened (for now) in NJ, I will be driving around the lakes that you can paddle in, to see how they are so can get a better idea. Not in a rush but would like something by end of the month if possible if the lakes near me are open “for business”.

I’d consider this if I were you. If you sit and they feel good you could offer $600.

1 Like

That would be a deal at $600 or $700.

I ended up getting a Crescent Lite Tackle. I’m looking for a paddle now and came across these which seems pretty decent:

I’m 5’11 or 6ft (when posture is nice & straight), the yak is 34in wide. It is an SOT technically, but has a lower sitting position than most SOTs. I was reading I would need a 240 or 250cm(based on my height & yak width), any recommendations? (not sure if it helps, but from my pit to my hand I’m about 27in)

I know this is a low-angle paddler and I’ll be leisure paddling mostly in lakes & calm rivers and might go out in the bay near me at times when its very calm.

I did want to stay around the $150 mark possibly.

Thanks for your help!

You want the shortest paddle you can use that does not cause you to bang your knuckles on every ,or any, stroke. You can test for length with a 1x2 " board if you can’t borrow one to try.
At your height, with that boat, I suspect you will need a 240 but hope a 230 works for you.

1 Like

You know you have the right paddle length when, with a normal paddle stroke, you are not hitting the boat and the entire paddle blade is in the water. No more, no less for maximal efficiency. Many people buy paddles that are too long. If possible, borrow a paddle and try it out while sitting in your boat in the water, or insure that any paddle that you buy can be exchanged for one of a different length. I recommend a low angle paddle for what you are using it for.

I was recommended this paddle - https://www.austinkayak.com/Werner-Tybee-Hooked-Leverlock-FG-Kayak-Paddle-Straight-Shaft/ACK28155P.html - from a kayak shop owner who paddles the Lite Tackle, but he does paddle high-angle so not sure if his style of paddling influenced his decision or the yak width…

It’s adjustable which is a good thing. You can find the length that best suits you as you progress. I’ve never seen one adjustable for 20 cm, also a good thing. Good advice from rstevens. My first paddle was a 240, as recommended by the paddle shop. I use a 220 or 230 depending on the boat.
Get the orange blade. It helps you be visible to other boaters. My first paddle was an aluminum shaft with plastic blades. I traded that heavy beast at the first opportunity.

1 Like

He didn’t recommend the adjustable one, he said 240cm should work for me but without having my yak yet, I was a bit worried so found the same one but adjustable which I think should work! Might weigh a bit more I think but for my first paddle it’ll do fine, I’m not a small guy and don’t plan on paddle all day for now. Site says this weighs around 40z, but I found others weighing about 30oz but they are fixed width…

Ah yes I want the most visibility! Citron color kayak with orange blades & red PFD! haha

I managed to get a hold of two kayaks today to test out (since still waiting for one), and brought them to a small lake nearby. One was a Hobie Mirage Revolution 13’ (older model) with 350pds weight capacity, had a rudder but didn’t manage to test it out, and pedals even though I just paddled it and a cheap Costo Equinox 10.4

To be honest the Costco one seemed to track better to my surprise (or at I could keep it straighter while paddling), now I know most definitely my paddling style & technique is probably horrible, but I just could keep it straighter. Also, the Costco one is rated at 275pds, which is my weight, but had no issues with paddling, turning, etc. I’m not looking to cover too much distance, just looking for 2-4hrs recreational paddling right now, but I’m now inclined to maybe get something with a 350-400pds capacity max since I was looking at over 400pds before…

Quite a few years ago I paddled a 12’ Pungo in Barnegat Bay a few times. One day the wind got up and things became very “interesting”. Those shallow bays can produce decent sized waves with very short intervals and it was a very bumpy ride and I ended up with a lot of water in the boat. Not a fun experience.

I’ve never paddled in Sandy Hook Bay but I had a sailboat at a mooring in Atlantic Highlands for a few years. Especially on a falling tide with input from the Navesink and Shrewsbury rivers the water rips out of there. I’d want a longer kayak just because of the speed potential they have. I think I’d also want a skeg.

Stay safe out there!

1 Like

I am now confused about whether you are the person who got a Pungo 120 or are still looking at boats. Do not like the Costco huge cockpit and clearly not intended for someone to use a skirt.

Second what kfbrady said. We vacationed for some years on Long Beach Island when I was younger and my father regularly fished off of Sandy Hook.

Do not assume a Pungo or that Costco boat should be in either of those places.

1 Like

I was looking at the pungo 125, but haven’t gotten anything yet… oh I totally agree about the Csotco one, it was more of a surprise how it handled my weight and paddled compared to a $2700 hobie.

I agree as well, if I do end up going with a Pungo, I would just stick to lakes and similar bodies of water!

I know everyone keeps saying to get a Tsunami 125/140/145, but I’m not a small and nimble guy so need a larger cockpit if I end up getting a sit in, if not SOT it is so I can use it in more bodies of water and feel more comfortable if would go by myself.

I haven’t touched hard on the solo paddler stuff myself. But per a conversation in another thread, I would argue for a SOT being your best idea for now.
One advantage of this is that, should you decide to get another boat that challenges more later on, the SOT would work as a guest boat.

I am looking at SOT in fact so I can use in the bay when calm, once I feel confident enough and have practiced getting back in the kayak etc.

And if I end up getting a sit in with a big cockpit then I’m going to stay on lakes, etc.

Paddle some longer boats so you can see the difference.