C-Tug vs. Yak Yak cart for sea kayak

Up until now, I’ve been carrying my Current Designs Suka wherever I need to go. However, now that I’m pregnant, I want to get a cart so that I’m not lifting that weight. My local shop has the C-Tug cart and the NRS Yak Yak cart, which have the hard wheels that you don’t have to inflate(which I would prefer).

The C-Tug has the adjustable cradle pieces, which might be a big plus for my shallow v hull. The Yak Yak is flatter, with the kind of typical metal bars with foam over them. Can you use this style of cart(the Yak Yak) with a “v” shaped hull? Doesn’t it just sort of sit on the point and the foam isn’t really able to support the kayak? Maybe I don’t understand how it works, ha ha. I guess if I strapped the kayak in near the cockpit it is much flatter there and would probably work…but don’t most people secure their carts closer to one end?

I’ve read a lot of reviews complaining about the C-Tug’s strapping system(I have nightmare visions of a strap failing and my kevlar kayak tumbling off onto some gravel or something) and it is more expensive. If it is the better cart for my boat, though, I’m willing to pay.

Help? Here is a link to both carts.

http://www.c-tug.com/

http://www.nrs.com/product/50125.01/nrs-yak-yak-boat-cart

the Yak Yak
is a V hull carrier.

with a load, cart sits under the rear bulkhead.

is there a wall behind your kayak’s seat ?

The cart goes under the wall and the roof rack rear bar .If possible.

Rear rubber (?) tires are available a solid foam filled tires. Heavier than open plastic cart wheels.

The hard plastic wheels reduce rolling friction over inflatables or solid. The open plastic wheel is less effort rolling but prob more fragile. You choose.

Ask what a replacement wheel costs.

REI sells Washburne’s and you may call

https://goo.gl/0mr5h6

Aluminum is more durable than Down Under plastics designed for upside down use age.

Aluminum carriers use the regular cam straps used for tie down on the roof rack or ?

Light designs or ultra light/compact designs are meant more for stowing in the hull.

I stow a wheeleez inside a Solstice Titan but no question it does use space needed for a sleeping bag.

The cart is ( maybe or not )placed under the hull when floating. Requires bending over n wrestling the strap under. Does a non rice harvesting pregnant western woman do that ?

C-Tug strap issue

– Last Updated: Jun-19-15 10:10 PM EST –

I have the C-Tug. There is no problem with the strap if the buckle is used correctly. The strap must first be routed through the back (other end from the jaw), then forward through the jaw. If you just feed it through the jaw, the strap will slip.

I've had the C-Tug for several years with no problems. I put maybe 20 miles on a cart per year.

Whatever cart you settle on, you might want to ensure that the collapsed cart fits in the appropriate kayak hatch.

I have a sea tug
I think the sea tug is OK, but the tires are always flat.

The strap is hard to set up and hard to show others how to use so I just replaced it.

I’d prefer the yak yak. Soild light tires are the way to go. Sea tug also sells a solid light tire for their heavy cart now,

I’m also looking at the malone cart that has reallt wide solid wheels for beach sand.

Lately I’ve been using a homemade cart that it lighter than the C-tug.

C-tug
We have a C-tug with the no-flat tires, so obviously that’s not a problem. The strapping system is unnecessarily finicky, so I just replaced it with a regular cam strap. Works like a charm.

Thanks
for the responses. Yes, I’ll be getting the hard, non-inflated tires no matter which cart I get, so flat tires won’t be a problem.

It sounds like the Yak Yak will work, and if it fits, that is my preferred cart - smaller and cheaper(but hopefully not weaker).

Check out the front view of Yak Yak

– Last Updated: Jun-20-15 11:47 AM EST –

Looks like one crossbar is v-shaped and the other is dead flat. Not likely to be a good fit for a sea kayak. Probably designed for a short rec kayak with flat bottom going to v in very short distance.

C-Tug is really sturdy but BIG even when disassembled, and heavy. You might end up carrying the frame inside the cockpit, IF you can paddle with it in there. It was the easiest to pull around due to placement under the middle of the kayak, but unuseable for my intended use of stashing in the kayak while paddling. I returned it.

A third candidate that nobody has mentioned is the Wheeleez Mini cart with Tuff Tires, which are hard foam-filled wheels. I have used one since fall 2013. I can easily remove the wheels, fold the frame, AND the frame fits inside my NDK Pilgrim Expedition's bow hatch, with the wheels fitting in either the bow or stern hatch. They are just barely too big to pass through the smaller day hatch hole. Wheels are about 8" diameter, which is smaller than standard 10" size. Price was $90 for the cart, including straps. But I use 6' straps instead because there is no need for longer ones.

If it will fit in your hatches, the standard Wheeleez cart with standard (bigger) Tuff Tires would also work nicely.

In other words, the standard cart has a larger frame with larger wheels, and the mini version is downsized in both. Either version has option for inflatable gray tires or Tuff Wheels, appropriately sized.

C-Tug experience
My C-Tug has inflatable tires. I prefer them because with a heavy load I think they offer less rolling resistance, for example going uphill with a fully loaded kayak. The inflation nozzle is poorly placed and it’s hard to get a pump on it. Trying to get a new tube on the rim can make you nuts.

The company sent me a complicated “map” for threading the straps. I did it some other (logical) way and they work fine. You can use their straps and clips and just put them together in a way that makes sense.

The C-Tug is rugged and with inflatable tires can go over fairly rocky, uneven ground. Can hold a lot of weight. Assembles and disassembles quickly. But it’s quite heavy, especially if you want to pack it in your hatch. But many carts can’t fit in a hatch at all, whereas the C-Tug can.

I always place the cart under the cockpit, toward the rear. Feels much lighter there than when placed under the stern like the Paddle Boy.

I agree, the self-adjusting pads are convenient. My kayak has a deep V hull and does well on the C-Tug.

Yeah, I double checked
my Suka, and under the rear bulkhead the “V” is still pretty pronounced, so I don’t know how the flat part of the Yak Yak would work. :confused: Darn.

I’ll phone and find out if they have a Wheeleez with the Tuff tires.

OK
I just went and checked out the Wheeleez…it looks like the part of the cart that the kayak rests on is designed almost the same as the Yak Yak. Doesn’t it also have one flat bar, that won’t work for a V hull?

It is kind of looking like my only option is going to be the C-Tug, whether I want it or not…

Wheeleez
The one I have uses two v-shaped bars. They are not deep Vs, but the foam pads allow the kayak to sit well anyway. I just went down to check a few minutes ago. Has worked well with my sea kayak for about 90 to 100 miles of carting. I place the foremost bar under the rear bulkhead.