C

H

Start with the Las Vegas Canoe and Kayak Club in Henderson though they seem to be into SUP

Thanks I did emailed them twice but so far no answers , I also found a guide that do long distance Kayak and will use him but I was curious to see if anyone knew of a canoe guy since its still different than kayak.

Canoes are not different.
Both craft obey the same principles of hydrodynamics
Canoe guy?
The American Canoe Assiciation has a website with courses listed
Many many good instructors are women

Thanks , just for info when I say guys I mean people actually I did meet few smart women in my life …………( just joking, relax)

that generic guys! Got it… but don’t worry about taking pointers from a “kayak person” I know several that are very good instructors in both but alas are some 2500 miles from you

Thanks actually the only ones that I found are all kayak pro , this will work for now but I make take a trip up north for a week or more to learn with canoe too.

The ACA publishes a list of instructors by state, you can find it at the following link:
https://www.americancanoe.org/page/Find_Instructors?

• You might want to take a look at what YouTube has for instructional videos.

Thanks for your help

@RLS said:
The ACA publishes a list of instructors by state, you can find it at the following link:
https://www.americancanoe.org/page/Find_Instructors?

Ditto.

Hi ,
it seems like there are some state around Nevada but none where I am , I guess this will give an opportunity to go away for some long weekend.

If you ever make it to the Oxnard, CA area i’d give you some instruction for free (I guess my fee is a pack of beer) depending on what you’re looking for . I’m well versed in non-freestyle non-whitewater paddling, which I imagine you dont have a lot of that type of water in the desert.

message me if you’re ever down this way

I will do for sure , thank for offering .

I’m curious on your proposed voyage. 3000 km is a lot for what I assume is a Northern river and a new canoeist. I am guessing the Yukon or Mackenzie… For the former you do need whitewater experience There are two major rapids and one is mandatory class 3.

But it is a working river and help is near though if you founder at Five Fingers rescue is very difficult. There are folks at myccr.com that have done almost all Northern Rivers.

I am new canoeist but not really new to adventure travel in remote places of Africa/Asia or South America . I will be going down the Amazon river from the Venezuela border to the ocean .

Did you read the book re Teddy Roosevelt’s canoe trip down the Amazon?

Yes and pretty much all that I could find , the ones from John Harrison are really great to read too . its just a old dream of mine to do this adventure and I am now able to pursue this dream so next year I will be goin down the river.