cag comparisons

i know of a couple cags out there, but have never worn one. does anyone have experience with them, input, opinions? i would need a very large one, and this concerns me with a one size fits all choice. there are none readily available for me to try on so it would likely be an order thing…

thanks.

What is a cag?

One piece skirt/jacket
Basically a one piece paddling jacket with a bottom designed to fit around your coaming like a skirt. Great for paddling on a windy, rainy crappy day.

Different cags

– Last Updated: Mar-25-08 9:59 AM EST –

What is described above is the storm cag as offered by kayak gear outfitters such as Kokatat: http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=psc

Though fitting around the coaming of the kayak sounds neat, I've rarely seen a cag used in that manner.

I happen to like the traditional cag (cagoule) as offered by outfitters such as Campmor:
http://www.campmor.com/cgi-bin/redir?prod=39295915

On the water, I prefer a loose paddling jacket that does not have to go over the paddler's head. If I'm in conditions, I don't want to be pulling something over my head. I have a NRS jacket that has velcro closure (and large clips) that I keep in my day hatch in case I or another paddler needs it at sea. I have an earlier model of this: http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2578&deptid=1143

I use my cag once on land - which is how I've most often seen storm cags employed.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2358745050048488250INbBkb">

Various makers…various uses
Cags are also made by Expedition Essentials and Reed ChillCheater. I think Valley Kayak Products aka VCP also makes one.

A Kokatat dealer will probably have one in the Tropos fabric. Sea Kayak Georgia carries Expedition Essentials. Reed ChillCheater, which is a UK company, is now available in the US through Second Wind Sports and Savannah Canoe and Kayak. Reed cags are beautiful although pretty pricey.

Cags are great when you’re onshore and it’s meal time and the weather is windy and drooling. As for using it on your boat: maybe it’s a local paddling thing, but I have seen them used as another layer over one’s gear and attached to the coaming of the boat. In fact, I was out surfing one day last summer and had forgotten my extra paddling jacket. I was fairly miserable but put my cag on over my gear, attached the bottom to the coaming, tightened it up and was far more comfortable. While I got water up my sleeves and down the neck, the cag served its intended purpose and I was able to play in surf/“popcorn” for a lot longer than I would have.

Hope this helps.

Cagoule is very big. Would fit you.
Submitted by: cooldoctor1

01-28-2008

The Kokatat brand is well known for outstanding products, and the Gore-Tex storm cagoule is no exception. I agree with spysky’s review, and having purchased it sight unseen upon only the universally applauded recommendation of other Paddling.netters, I can now attest to the exceptional build quality of this product. Certainly not the least expensive cag on the market, the Gore-Tex breathability plus the other features noted in the review below make this storm cag a must have on the water. It fits comfortably over my PFD, and it is a constant companion on every paddling trip now, always in handy reach under my deck lines. It packs down to the size of a softball, yet does not have a chincy, thin feel like nylon.

A cold wind comes over the water? Rain? Capsize and get chilled? Cagoule. I even use it off the water for sitting lakeside and keeping full coverage over legs, and being one-size-fits-all, it is very easy to loan to other paddlers in a rescue situation. It is warm without being overheating. The hood and Velcro wrist gaskets are reminiscent of top quality Kokatat drysuits, but without rubber gaskets.

The benefits of a the cag and its simple and sturdy attachment over the coaming or sprayskirt raise it head and shoulders above a dry top, which is harder to put on, must be placed under PFD, does not seal the cockpit, and must be properly size. I find dry tops/splash tops to also be fairly restrictive and sometimes chaffing on the arms with paddling; this is not true of the cag.

I never leave home without this storm cag, and although pricey, it is the best single piece of paddle clothing that I own.

Rating: 10 of 10

Submitted by: spyskys

01-25-2008

Took my Kokatat Storm Cag out for the first time last weekend on a chilly Seattle Sunday and I must say - this thing is ingenious! First I must add that I was paddling my wife’s NDk Explorer LV while she was out of town and her Snapdragon sprayskirt didn’t fit me but it wasn’t a problem.

The storm cag has an adjustable shock-corded skirt that fits over the cockpit coaming so it fit this small cockpit with ease. The Cag is intended to fit over everything you would wear on the water and prevent heat loss in wet marine environments. Also, it is one size fits all so you can give to a friend in dire situations. The Cag is meant to fit over your drysuit and PFD and is sized to that for anyone be you small or large. I have the Gore-Tex version not the nylon one. I haven’t seen the nylon one so I can’t comment.

The G-Tex Cag is well thought out. It has a convenient fleece lined hand warmer in front and a huge pocket that swallowed up some snacks and essentials. Also, behind the hand warmer is a velcro opening that allows you to access the pockets of the PFD with it on. There is even a zippered- pocket on the left sleeve with a D-ring to tether something important. Visibility is great in this Cag as it is safety orange and has some reflectors strategically placed on the sleeves and hood.

Also, I must comment on how well this Cag kept the water out. Since I wasn’t wearing a sprayskirt I relied on the Cag to keep the sea out of my cockpit and that it did. After a long day on the water practicing all kinds of sculls and braces it didn’t allow a drop in through the side. I will not be on the water without this Cag, it has become one of my essentials.

Rating: 10 of 10

Just got one
I just received my Kokatat storm cag, and I haven’t tried it out yet. It seems like a really great solution to the cold and wet that may creep up on you while out paddling. The hood moves with you, so you keep your side vision, has a great front fleece pocket, and lots of reflective tape. I’m going to keep mine handy in the cockpit or deckbag, so if I need it, I can whip it out and slide it on while underway. I got mine from:

http://www.the-river-connection.com/

Marshall is a great guy to do business with. You sometimes see him here on the forum.

Good luck,

Donna

my 2c
I LOVE my Expedition Essentials cag. It is not made from breathable fabric, I find it a plus. Not that there is anything wrong with having a breathable fabric, I just couldn’t quite figure out why one would need one for storm cag - the shell is not waterproof, hence there will always be a bit of air circulation alleviating condensation. Again, typically, all gear beneath is wet already :slight_smile:

Since EE cag is not made from porous material, I can treat it without any remorse and still have it functional. Any smart material would have to be babied not to ruin porous properties of vapor barrier.

I love its multi-functionality - allows me to change clothes in broad daylight, keeps me warm on a windy day.

In a nutshell - packs small, takes a beating, serves multiple purposes.

great piece of kit
i don’t leave shore without it…it’s large enough that you can put it on over all the other gear so if you or someone in the group is chilled or cooling off (like they’d just been in the drink maybe?), you can slap it right on over everything else while you’re on the water and it’ll warm 'em up in a hurry.

i have a cap and a hand warmer stuffed into that front pocket and then the whole thing is the last item stuffed into the day hatch.

i have a rasdek (ndk used to distribute them i think?) but have not seen that brand in the US in several years…kokatat, campmor, surely others…reeds is an interesting product with the material they use…if the rasdek EVER gives up the ghost, that’d be what i’d look at to replace it.

Valley/GRO cag
I have a Valley/GRO cag, which is isn’t quite rasdek but a fine garment. The new Kokatat cag has been very popular.

Cags are an essential item when weariga drysuit in cold weather. When you stop and take a break in cold or raw weather, the wind blowing across breathable GoreTex accelerates evaporative cooling, and you quickly begin to feel chilled. A cag blocks this action. The cag is also, a great item in summer: when it gets wet and raw out. (a surprising number of hypothermia cases occur in the summer, probably when people are unprepared for getting wet ) it can be worn while paddling, and does the job.

Valley/GRO cag
I have a Valley/GRO cag, which is isn’t quite rasdek but a fine garment. The new Kokatat cag has been very popular.

Cags are an essential item when weariga drysuit in cold weather. When you stop and take a break in cold or raw weather, the wind blowing across breathable GoreTex accelerates evaporative cooling, and you quickly begin to feel chilled. A cag blocks this action. The cag is also, a great item in summer: when it gets wet and raw out. (a surprising number of hypothermia cases occur in the summer, probably when people are unprepared for getting wet ) it can be worn while paddling, and does the job.

Got one on order
Kokotat Tropos fabric. Wanted one so I could expand my paddling season. Let it rain!

Andy

isn’t quite rasdek?
as in not so copacetic or something? not totally skookum?