Calusa Paddle & Fly Fishing Challenge

Septmenber 27-28, 2008- Pineland, Florida

Hello P-net.com Fly Fishers,

Please check out http://calusachallenge.blogspot.com/ The page isn’t quite finished, but wanted to start getting this out there. Still have to procure more prizes and post a few more details, but you get the idea!!!

The inspiration to organize the Calusa Challenge came from a short non-fiction story by Randy Wayne White about just such an event. FYI, he happens to live right across the street from the Tarpon Lodge!

The Calusa Paddle and Fly Fishing Challenge; an ironman fly fishing event of sorts, is for fun and benefits the Randell Research Center on Pine Island here in southwest Florida (more about the center in the blog). To my knowledge, no event like this, just for paddle/fly fishers has ever been held. It makes for a reasonable fly fishing vacation too!

September fly fishing opportunities in Pine Island Sound will include: Snook, Redfish, Seatrout, Tarpon and a variety of Sharks.

Note: You are not required to stay at the Tarpon Lodge. I know some possible challengers have their favorite places to stay when visiting Matlacha and Pine Island; there are many hotels and B&B’s too.

100% of the entry fee goes to the Randell Research Center and Tarpon Lodge for the food, drinks and use of their facilities during the event.

Please keep checking back on the blogspot for more information, prize additions and updates, or post here if you have questions.

Tight lines, safe paddling and hope to see you there,

Sincerely,

Chrystal Murray

Thanks for the heads up, some live
close enough to take advantage of the even. Hope it comes off well.

Calusa Challenge Update
YakCanFish,

Hope to see you there! I just updated the prize list and found some errors that I corrected; the Calusa Paddle & Fly Fishing Challenge is canoe and friendly.

http://www.calusachallenge.blogspot.com

Update- Entry Deadline is Near
Hello P.Net Paddle Anglers!

Calusa Paddle & Fly Fishing Challenge Update- The deadline for entries is drawing near. Please shoot me an e-mail at chrystalmurray@comcast.net and I will respond with the entry form and rules attached.

The deadline to enter with check is September 19th. Checks to be made out to the “Tarpon Lodge”.

For planning’s sake at the Tarpon Lodge, (food, drinks, etc.) late entries cannot be accepted!

Return Entry Form by mail to:

Calusa Challenge

2589 Bayshore Drive

Matlacha, FL 33993

For accommodations, please contact the Tarpon Lodge- contact information (and directions) at http://www.tarponlodge.com/home/

Note: A full refund will be issued in the event of inclement weather, to be determined by the Calusa Paddle and Fly Fishing Challenge event officials. Updates along with more sponsors have been posted on the site at http://www.calusachallenge.blogspot.com

The Calusa Paddle and Fly Fishing Challenge is an informal event that benefits a very worthy cause. It is open to paddle fishing/fly anglers of all abilities. Good sportsmanship, camaraderie, and the desire to have fun are required to enter!

Any species of any size of fish is eligible to enter- catch a pinfish, measure and photograph it. Catch a snook, measure and photograph it. But only one fish per species counts. FYI, Pine Island Sound is loaded with different fish this time of year!

For more information, clarification of rules and scoring, or if anyone needs help in any way, please contact Chrystal Murray- Telephone 727/656-3400 or e-mail Chrystalmurray@comcast.net

Also, I have loaner kayaks and canoes available to use if anyone is traveling but not bringing their own. Just let me know ahead of time.

A special thanks to the sponsors- SPOT Messenger, Temple Fork Outfitters, No Distractions Kayaks, Extrasport PFD’s, Lendal Paddles, Dri Grip Sunscreen, Kayak’s Etc. in Vero Beach, Eureka, Plano, Camelbak, Fisherman’s Coast/Aaron Adams, Ph.D., Capt. Fred Everson’s Custom Rods, Fishgillz Sunglasses, Skinny Water Culture, Chokoloskee Charters Everglades Kayak Fishing, Heliconia Press and Capt. Jason LeValley.

Hope this e-mail finds everyone here doing well and catching lots of fish. Stay safe over the holiday weekend and stormy week ahead. Thank you again to the moderator for allowing me to post this.