Camera for kayaking

I have an Olympus TG-4. It fits easily in a lifevest or jacket/pants pocket but the clip-on float hangs outside. I’ve used it underwater, in the rain, and it gets splashed while paddling with no problems. If you have the Olympus app on your phone, you can remotely trigger the shutter, zoom in/out, change modes, and transfer pictures. This picture I had set the camera up on a tripod. The hard part was getting us in the picture while drifting and dealing with an unhappy terrier. I did edit the picture since I didn’t have the camera level on the tripod (which has a bubble level but I failed to use).

@dc9mm said:

PS: don’t bother with your phone, the quality is crap. I have yet to see a phone including the latest iphones that have good quality pictures Especially in low light they really fall apart.

I have hundreds of excellent pictures of flowers and insects taken with my iPhone in the close up range of 3" to 5’. More distant than that, I use my camera with much more powerful zoom.

My iPhone also takes excellent landscape and people pictures - often better than my stand alone camera.

@magooch said:

There, just for giggles, I took a picture with my phone (Kyocera) down a dark hallway with the flash on automatic and the picture is absolutely perfect. I got my wife’s iPhone and snapped the same picture with auto flash on and it is exactly as the man said–crap. So apparently there are phone cameras and there are phone cameras. Maybe it’s just knowing the settings, but even there, I’ve just got mine set on auto everything.

I generally get better quality pics with my iPhone without the flash, than with flash. I rarely use the flash with my 6S.

The zoom is very minimal and pretty much useless for bringing distant critters much closer.

@magooch said:
I have a water proof phone that takes great pictures and videos, but probably not up to your caliber. However, it does have a flash and capacity to store a huge number of pictures (SD card). The best thing is that it cost only $50.

Which phone is this?

Like Eckilson, I have been using a Pentax Optio (now made by Ricoh) for two years and liked it quite a bit for worry-free durability, ease of use and waterproofness as well as photo quality. The sole drawback was battery life but I got several extra batteries and they are compact enough to carry spares easily. I had an older W-2 (which I bought used) with which I took thousands of great photos until it went missing last August after a Great Lakes trip, much to my dismay. Ordered another newer model that did not have quite as many features but am happy with that so far. I’m tough on cameras, but these I simply don’t even worry about – just keep it clipped to my decklines or PFD with a carabiner on the d-ring strap. I think you could use one as a hockey puck or boat anchor and it would not be fazed at all.

@Yanoer said:

@magooch said:
I have a water proof phone that takes great pictures and videos, but probably not up to your caliber. However, it does have a flash and capacity to store a huge number of pictures (SD card). The best thing is that it cost only $50.

Which phone is this?

I’m curious too.

@Yanoer said:

@magooch said:

Which phone is this?

Kyocera Hydro Air from Walmart a couple years ago–AT&T special for $49.97–regular $99.95.