Camera for kayaking

My Panasonic Lumix DMC point and shoot waterproof camera has been great for most of the shots I take on water. However, its zoom capacity and speed do not allow me to take clear photos of fast moving subjects as birds, insects and animals. This has limited blog site postings. The camera is rarely used for under water shots, although I’ve been grateful I had that option. More common is dropping the camera in the water or photographing in rain and damp situations. Previous articles have mentioned that i-phones are superior to cameras for paddling shots. I rarely use my i-phone, never take it on paddlng trips and not sure how clearly the photos would turn-out if encased. Also, over 500 shots are normal on a trip, as many as a thousand on some trips. On multi-day kayak trips I can’t download until I get access to lap-top. The Panasonic Lumix fits in the the palm of my hand and allows me to keep the boat steady with one arm while taking shots with the other, great nature photos with flash. Appreciate recommendations considering 1) clarity of moving subjects in zoom mode, 2) overall clear results with good sensitivity to tones and light changes, 3) palm-sized, 4) good water resistance at the very least, waterproof, preferable, 5) good flash results, 6) minimum or no attachments to get the desired shots, 7) relative simplicity of use for someone who is electronically challenged. Asking for the impossible? If not, thanks for your suggestions.

I have a water proof phone that takes great pictures and videos, but probably not up to your caliber. However, it does have a flash and capacity to store a huge number of pictures (SD card). The best thing is that it cost only $50.

I use an older nikon aw120 and also have seen many from the latest Olympus TG5 cameras. There both about the same. Maybe the Oly is a little better but not by much. If you really want better quality you need a camera with a larger sensor. Size matters. Nikon sells a waterproof camera with a larger sensor changeable waterproof lenses. (Just use one lens) BUT its not cheap. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/nikon1/nikon-1-aw1.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

PS: don’t bother with your phone, the quality is crap. I have yet to see a phone including the latest iphones that have good quality pictures Especially in low light they really fall apart.

I use a Pentax Optio W-1 waterproof camera. For me, the waterproof feature is important if I take an unintentional swim with the camera in my pocket. I don’t take underwater shots, and if you drop the camera in the water without a float it is probably gone anyway. For your phone, you would need a waterproof case that would allow you to secure it with a lanyard. There is probably one out there – I’ve never looked.

I take mostly pictures of people and scenery while paddling (or hiking), so no small subjects. Like you I take a lot of shots and keep the best. With an extra battery and a big storage card, that is not a problem. Battery life would definitely be an issue with my phone.

I have given up trying to take pictures with anything more than the 3X optical zoom built into the camera. I can usually get close enough to the subject so the quality is OK even with fast moving subjects like whitewater paddlers. I don’t take a lot of wildlife pictures, probably because I can’t zoom in close enough. If you want good zoom shots, you need a better camera (or maybe a tripod)…

In most cases I turn off the flash. The pictures don’t look natural, and the subject is usually too far away for the flash to do much anyway. I can usually fix exposure and color issues on the computer after. If you don’t have one, I’d suggest that you get a good photo-editing program. I use Aperture on my Mac. It is pretty much idiot-proof, and I think I get good results. If you are trying to get perfect pictures without editing, I do think you are asking the impossible- especially with a point and shoot camera.

I have some friends that bring along expensive cameras with detachable lens. They definitely take better pictures than I do, but it is a lot tougher for them to get those quick, impromptu shots that point and shoot cameras are great for. It’s all about what you want and what you need the pictures for.

My pictures
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums

I don’t think there is a perfect water camera out there. I’ve come a ways from using the argus that my grandfather handed down to me, which I packed in an ammo box.
I find the challenge with most cameras is getting close enough to the subject, while being able to hold the camera still, Often I’m on moving water or in ww. Currently I’m using small video cameras- one of which is waterproof to take my on water shots. I typically stuff the video camera down into my sprayskirt and pull it out and shoot in still mode. If I were to swim I’d probably lose the camera. Go pro stills can also give an interesting perspective. Sometimes I pull still shots out of video clips, using a very basic video editing program while I’m creating a video…
I generally don’t do any post production touch ups. Have neither the know how or software to do so.
I get better shots when I go down the river with the my mind set of taking pictures. Meaning, I will run ahead, find some rocks I can climb out on or wedge the boat between, and shoot from a fixed position. I find usually low light isn’t the issue, rather glare. I like shooting on cloudy days best.
For shooting wildlife I’ve concluded you need a really big lense and a tripod- neither thing that I have. Thus most of my wildlife shots aren’t very good.
I guess to sum it up I’d say that I haven’t bought one of the current waterproof point and shoots because I like the zoom better on video cameras, the price point is similar and camera is to easier to use while bobbing in an eddy with its adjustable lcd screen (which you can’t see well in sunny conditions).

@magooch said:
I have a water proof phone that takes great pictures and videos, but probably not up to your caliber. However, it does have a flash and capacity to store a huge number of pictures (SD card). The best thing is that it cost only $50.

Mine does, too. Storage capacity important since I can’t download photos until I get on land or access my laptop which I don’t carry when paddle-camping, which probably eliminates i-phone 6+. But since I have a blog site which is documenting all the living things on a particular creek, not being able to get good shots of moving creatures is pushing me to get a camera which can do it, zooming from a kayak to an object on the shore, forinstance, which is trying to escape detection. Mine also stabilizes for slight movement of camera, but that doesn’t address the zoom capacity for moving objects.

@dc9mm said:
I use an older nikon aw120 and also have seen many from the latest Olympus TG5 cameras. There both about the same. Maybe the Oly is a little better but not by much. If you really want better quality you need a camera with a larger sensor. Size matters. Nikon sells a waterproof camera with a larger sensor changeable waterproof lenses. (Just use one lens) BUT its not cheap. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/nikon1/nikon-1-aw1.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

PS: don’t bother with your phone, the quality is crap. I have yet to see a phone including the latest iphones that have good quality pictures Especially in low light they really fall apart.

Checked out the Nikon – this didn’t appear on the lists of waterproof cameras probably because of cost. Seems, however, that leaking and misting (which I have on my current Lumix, but not on my previous Lumix and which is a problem because it takes hours in a dry room to get it back to normal) is a problem with customer service not as good as my experiences with Panasonic. But it’s good to know what’s out there. Thanks.

Not to argue the point, but I think phone pictures are amazingly clear, sharp and the color is perfect. They maintain the sharpness even when transferred to a large screened computer.

There, just for giggles, I took a picture with my phone (Kyocera) down a dark hallway with the flash on automatic and the picture is absolutely perfect. I got my wife’s iPhone and snapped the same picture with auto flash on and it is exactly as the man said–crap. So apparently there are phone cameras and there are phone cameras. Maybe it’s just knowing the settings, but even there, I’ve just got mine set on auto everything.

@eckilson said:
I use a Pentax Optio W-1 waterproof camera. For me, the waterproof feature is important if I take an unintentional swim with the camera in my pocket. I don’t take underwater shots, and if you drop the camera in the water without a float it is probably gone anyway. For your phone, you would need a waterproof case that would allow you to secure it with a lanyard. There is probably one out there – I’ve never looked.

I take mostly pictures of people and scenery while paddling (or hiking), so no small subjects. Like you I take a lot of shots and keep the best. With an extra battery and a big storage card, that is not a problem. Battery life would definitely be an issue with my phone.

I have given up trying to take pictures with anything more than the 3X optical zoom built into the camera. I can usually get close enough to the subject so the quality is OK even with fast moving subjects like whitewater paddlers. I don’t take a lot of wildlife pictures, probably because I can’t zoom in close enough. If you want good zoom shots, you need a better camera (or maybe a tripod)…

In most cases I turn off the flash. The pictures don’t look natural, and the subject is usually too far away for the flash to do much anyway. I can usually fix exposure and color issues on the computer after. If you don’t have one, I’d suggest that you get a good photo-editing program. I use Aperture on my Mac. It is pretty much idiot-proof, and I think I get good results. If you are trying to get perfect pictures without editing, I do think you are asking the impossible- especially with a point and shoot camera.

I have some friends that bring along expensive cameras with detachable lens. They definitely take better pictures than I do, but it is a lot tougher for them to get those quick, impromptu shots that point and shoot cameras are great for. It’s all about what you want and what you need the pictures for.

My pictures
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums

Liked your Connecticut River camping shots. We camped at Franconia Notch in September to do the Pemigawasett, which turned to be too low for paddling, and did Squam Lake instead. Found out that there is salmon in that lake, nice sized ones. But wished we had done the Connecticut instead.

The Olympus TG 5 would be my top choice for a waterproof camera. It is the only one that’s is able to shoot in RAW format , much more flexibility in editing.

Now if you are interested in tracking birds or fast auto focus. None of the compact waterproof cameras in this segment are going to give you great quality , for that you will need to go for a DSLR and a waterproof housing.

@MMF said:
Liked your Connecticut River camping shots. We camped at Franconia Notch in September to do the Pemigawasett, which turned to be too low for paddling, and did Squam Lake instead. Found out that there is salmon in that lake, nice sized ones. But wished we had done the Connecticut instead.

My first time on the Connecticut River. We were there on Columbus Day weekend and it rained all three days we were on the river. Fortunately it was dry at night. Great river and lots of camping spots.

We were trying to catch the Pemi a couple of weeks ago, but it was too low. Can be tough to catch.

I have a Cannon DL 30. It lives in my PFD pocket. It has a lanyard attached to camera and PFD. I can , and have, dropped it to pick up paddle and brace, paddle or go swimming. It just trails along…
Sometimes taking pictures on the way.

Everything is fairly easy until you mentioned birds!

While some larger waders will stand still and let you get close to photograph them, for other species you need a decently fast lens and a zoom that goes beyond the typical point-and-shoot 100mm (35 equiv.) limit.

I’d be looking at the Olympus Tough TG-5 as it has an F2.0 lens, 20fps shooting speed, 12mp sensor, waterproof to 50’ and you can get a tele extender for it that extends the max focal length to 170mm. The Ricoh WG-50 is another possible choice but I think the Olympus is a better all-around camera.

Still, my preference is a 24mp Nikon DSLR with a 300mm on it that I keep in an Aquapac dry bag even if it’s fairly clumsy to use.

You can consider a bridge camera like the Canon SX60HS. No its not waterproof , no it wont fit in your PFD pocket but it takes excellent zoom shots. Its not good for low light, has a limited range of f stops but shoots RAW and JPEG. Its not good for astrophotgraphy but very good for birds. I have found it excellent for the typical from the boat shots. Like loons and eagles. It boasts a 1300 mm 35 mm equivalent but from a boat the movement is too much to get a good shot that way… the subjects goes in and out of the pic! I shoot usually at 25x zoom
The downside of course is that you have to get it out of its waterproof cocoon before use. Here are a selection for consideration if that is something that interests you https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-bridge-cameras,review-2212.html

I=

Also own Panasonic DMC. (8 years). Been bullet proof. The advantage was always the compact size on the water. CON: For wild life, even if I would get close enough, it was never “fast” enough, from both a booting up and actual shutter pull. The sport dial selection focus’s and shoots a little faster. Low light big challene too. But over I can of refer to it as my “instamatic” with a little more clarity. The video HD has been fun. November 2017 sunset .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GNzkKLJxT4

Costco has a Lumix ZS60 with a viewfinder, 30X optical zoom, 16gb sd card for $280. Compact with a lot to offer for that money shot.

Wow - 30x optical zoom - wonder if it is any good.

And you can get an underwater case for an additional $549.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1242067-REG/ikelite_6170_6_underwater_housing_for_panasonic.html

How crazy is that?

The Leica zoom on my Lumix is superb. I either leave it in my deck bag or my Seal Line dry bag.

I have a Pentax Optio water proof camera and it sucks with out a viewfinder. It’s hard to compose a picture. On the water you need a camera with a fast shutter speed and a good autofocus.

@shiraz627 said:
I have a Pentax Optio water proof camera and it sucks with out a viewfinder. It’s hard to compose a picture.

Lot of things about the Pentax Optio that I would like to improve, but adding a view finder isn’t one of them. There is no way I could take a decent picture sitting in my boat if I had to look through a viewfinder. I take pictures at the highest resolution, so they are easy to crop. For action shots, I usually don’t even look at the screen. I find it easier to time the shot if I’m looking at the action - point and shot. To be honest, most of my pictures are crap, but I take a lot of them, so I always end up with a few that are decent. Good enough for me.