camp cookware?

MSR Flex 2
I took this to the Boundary Waters last year and love it. You may need to add a small pan if your meals require. I love the nesting capability and the weight.

Besides my D.O.s
and D.O. table, I have assembled a cook tool kit with my favorite tools, seasonings, and gadgets in a mechanic’s tool box. Its not practical for easy transport, but stays with the truck and travel trailer. For portability I still have two sets of these: http://www.blackmarketantiques.com/vintage-master-craftsmen-aluminum-scouts-official-scout-cook-p-8503.html It is annoying that someone would classify my old Boy Scout cook kit as antique.

cast iron skillet plus lid
A Lodge 10" cast iron skillet weighs 6 lb. and the lid weighs 5 lb. You can do almost all the things you can do with a dutch oven with a skillet. I have had lots of guides who carry cast iron skillets. Properly seasoned they are easy to clean. A lot easier than anything else that is safe to use.

Light-My-Fire for eating
but with s/s flatware… I hate that spork.

Cooking is whatever small s/s I can find at a yard sale that nests. Currently a small pot with lid and frying pan with folding handle and large Sierra cup.

It may not match but it works well.

FWIW
they’d probably classify you as antique too

AARP has been sending
me offers for years. Resistance is futile, yet I persist to resist.

My Kayak Kitchen
Besides my Cookset (Pinnacle Backpacker) and stove (Primus Yellowstone), here’s the rest of my kitchen:

http://www.milespaddled.com/2008/05/kayak-kitchen.html

GSI
I use a GSI set with fry pan (which is a lid for one of the pots),two pots, plastic bowl & plastic measuring cup. I added a large stainless cup.

30+ yrs ago (I’m an old fart) I started with a cheap alum set, then enamel…then to stainless and finally to the hard anodized GSI set. I bought the GSI about 10 yrs ago and still think it’s the best. None of the others compare to GSI.

Kayak Kitchen…
Hi,

Now there’s a cool set-up.

Actually, what I enjoy about what people are writing here is how many of you seem to ‘make-do’ with the tried and true.

I’m planning a two (or three ) week kayak trip from Canada to Lake Champlain next month, and I want to carry as little as possible. Maybe a stainless steel metal cup to boil water in. I was thinking of buying a few weeks supply of those dehydrated meals in envelopes that you just add boiling water to, let sit, and then scoff. Might bring along some dried sausage, peanut butter and trail mix too. Naturally,since it’s the paddling I’m interested in and not necessarily the camping, if I see a B&B for eating and sleeping, I’ll be in there like a diry shirt, but I have a good tent, sleeping set-up, a couple of water bladders and one of those tiny propane camping stoves from Mountain Equipment Coop. In other words, I’ll have everything I need to camp well.

The question here is; what do you think of the dehydrated food idea?

Thanks,

Ken

Kayak Kitchen…
Hi,

Now there’s a cool set-up.

Actually, what I enjoy about what people are writing here is how many of you seem to ‘make-do’ with the tried and true.

I’m planning a two (or three ) week kayak trip from Canada to Lake Champlain next month, and I want to carry as little as possible. Maybe a stainless steel metal cup to boil water in. I was thinking of buying a few weeks supply of those dehydrated meals in envelopes that you just add boiling water to, let sit, and then scoff. Might bring along some dried sausage, peanut butter and trail mix too. Naturally,since it’s the paddling I’m interested in and not necessarily the camping, if I see a B&B for eating and sleeping, I’ll be in there like a diry shirt, but I have a good tent, sleeping set-up, a couple of water bladders and one of those tiny propane camping stoves from Mountain Equipment Coop. In other words, I’ll have everything I need to camp well.

The question here is; what do you think of the dehydrated food idea?

Thanks,

Ken