Camp needs canoes

A local camp is in need of canoes.

What companies make affordable yet durable canoes for such a purpose? The camp is on a lake. I’m not sure if aluminum would be the right choice or not.

In Iowa (a registration Nazi state) canoes 13 ft and over must be registered. This would be an added expense every year but not intolerable.

I don’t think they would be so interested in the “floating trash cans” idea but do want good value.

Can anyone help?

canoes
Start contacting manufacturers or dealers. Most manufacturers, at least those with a scale of production that would allow for it, have programs in place to support camps, NFP organizations, scouts, YMCA, etc. with discounted boats. Best thing is to talk to a nearby dealer, since they can do more with registration assistance, help find the right boats, and sometimes they can negotiate a better price, since they know who you are and most manufacturers don’t. You’ll also be building a local relationship, can send kids who are really interested in paddling to the store to get going, and the store might be willing to trade beachfront space for their demos or classes for a discount on boats.

first ones that come to mind are all Royalex - a “sandwich” of layers over a lightweight core that keeps the boats from being too heavy and still keeps low maintenance hulls on your beach. There are different types of this kind of material and some will trademark a type for marketing purposes, but its basically the same stuff.

Old Town Discovery

Old Town Penobscot

Bell Alaskan

Bell Morningstar

Wenonah Kingfisher

Wenonah Adirondack

Wenonah Spirit II (maybe)

Mad River Explorer 16

Mad River Adventure 16

others will probably chime in, but these are basically the more user-friendly and least likely to have a bunch of kids in poorly-fitting PFDs treading water next to a capsized canoe.

Try Canoesport outfitters in Indianola - good people who know canoes.

Livery canoes

– Last Updated: Sep-18-08 12:28 PM EST –

Aluminum requires the least maintainance of any material, but it's not good for rocky rivers.

I have no experience with these, but they might be worth a call:
http://www.buffalocanoes.com/index.htm

Old Town Discoveries are known for being tough(but heavy).

Many manufacturers have livery programs that provide discounts for institutions doing a bulk buy. The local dealer should be able to help you.

OT Discoveries
would probably be the bets choice from a cost vs durability standpoint. Aluminum boats are probably close to $200 more and have become a high theft item in some areas. OT guides would be less expensive, but I’m not sure how well they would hold up. I’m sure that a local OT dealer would be more than happy to price it for you.

Watch for a chance to meet with your
state legislators, and point out to them the hardship of the registration law when it is applied to a camp or similar operation.

Local dealers can help
Have them give their local canoe dealer a call. Most manufacturers have a program designed for camps, and can also advise on materials, models, accessories, etc.

I have seen the Buffalo’s
and talked with the manufacturer a bit. They are MUCH heavier built than the Old Towns. Good boats, very solid. they pretty much designed them for livery situations.

It’s a day’s drive, but what about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Rental-Canoes-Individual-Canoes_W0QQitemZ200255395777QQihZ010QQcategoryZ23800QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$100 per canoe, Discovery 169 or Michicrafts–if they float, and are only going to used in a lake at a camp, then something like this might do.

And no, I have no knowledge of or relationship with the seller. Just browsing ebay and connected your question with this.

Ranger and Vermont Canoes
Ranger has one model, the Otter 16; general purpose, performance boat priced at ~$1000 with vinyl rails and they wholesale in volume @ 55#. 603.968.7022 www.rangercanoe.com

Vermont Canoe offers the Encore, another 16 footer at ~$1300 w/ wood rails @ 65#. 802.496.5889, www.vermontcanoe.com.

Two options available wholesale to camps with less weight and better performance than RX hulls.

I like Serious Summers find
Discos are heavy, but you’ll have 2-3 kids in each I’m sure. Good way to learn teamwork with stacking etc…Thinking back to the Oauchita aluminum monsters when I was a kid, learning to flip and rack after a days exploring what was probably 100 yards of the Housatonic, yet felt like Chris Columbus. Dents, gouges, none of that mattered; we were ON THE WATER!!