camping and canoeing in Iowa

My extended family (around 20 people) go camping once a year for a week. We tent camp only and enjoy privacy. This year we want to check out Iowa. We are avid canoers and kayakers. So a campsite with close proximity to water is a must. Camping along a river is the best case scenario. I was wondering if anybody out there had any suggestions? Thank you very much.

Upper Iowa

– Last Updated: Nov-21-10 1:17 PM EST –

There are lots of great rivers in northeastern Iowa. The Upper Iowa is always good. Last time I did it, we camped in Kendallville. There are lots of campgrounds along the way. More info here: http://www.canoekayak.com/destinations/centralus/upper_iowa/

Iowa River Trails
While I love the Upper Iowa River, there are other options too. The Department of Natural Resources has a number of river trails identified on their site. I’m familiar with the ones along the Cedar River, the Maquoketa River, the Wapsipinicon River, and the Des Moines river, but there are others. Some are short stretches, but others provide multi-date trip opportunities. Take a look. Also post at the PaddlingIowa bulletin board. Lots of knowledgeable people there. Note the basic website is under construction, but the forums are still active.

Pam

flooding go away
Hopefully our rivers won’t be flooded like they were this year.

Brian

campsites
What about some good campsites? Thank you guys for all your help so far. Has anyone been to wildcat den, backbone, or nine eagles state park?

Scott County Park
The last 2 years we have camped at Scott County park (in Davenport, IA). There are seveal lakes in the park, but no rivers. Being in Davenport there are rivers nearby.

The park is clean and well maintained. Showers are available and each site we have used has a fire pit (we have a popup.

HTH-Karen

Scott County Park
The last 2 years we have camped at Scott County park (in Davenport, IA). There are seveal lakes in the park, but no rivers. Being in Davenport there are rivers nearby.

The park is clean and well maintained. Showers are available and each site we have used has a fire pit (we have a popup).

HTH-Karen

Campsites
I haven’t been to any of those sites in years. I used to love Wildcat Den though. The state DNR has great information about the public campgrounds. There are also some CoE campgrounds in the area, but the real gems of Iowa camping are the county parks. Scott County has West Park - great place though crowded. You can also look at the County Conservation Board websites for the counties you’re interested in - Jackson, Lee, Linn, Jones, Scott, Des Moines (the county, not the city - their 200 miles apart!), Louisa, and Clinton seem to be included in the list you gave. Clinton has some incredible campgrounds as does Jones and Jackson counties, some right on the water. Then give a call to the CCB director. These are friendly Iowa folks and I’ve never met one who isn’t excited to show someone new the lovely things their county has available.

Pam

bzeka, it’s been a surprise and a
frustration to see how “wet” Iowa and the eastern part of North and South Dakota have been the last months. They are “target” states for me, amongst only 7 of the lower 48 states where I have not paddled at least one river. I hoped to get to the Upper Iowa in October, but then the level dropped too low for a time. Now it’s getting a bit cold up there at times.

Also on my target list are Split Rock Creek in SD and the Pembina River in ND.

Split Rock Creek
Good choice, I always thought that would be a fun one to paddle through the palisades.

Alan

Backbone
I’ve been to both Wildcat Den and Backbone. I love Backbone – when I lived in Iowa, I used to rock climb and fly fish there often. Good camping, great day hiking, a couple of small caves, the DNR stocks trout and great rock climbing. I’ve also paddled the Maquoketa River from Backbone to the Mississippi and can highly recommend the trip. We camped in public areas for all but one night. That night we camped with permission in a farm field. I believe a dam gave way south of Backbone last year, so I’m not sure what that section of paddling would be like.

Other good choices include the Yellow River, my favorite, for a day trip. The Turkey makes for a fun mutliday trip. The Volga is great if you hit it when it has enough water. Whitewater Creek near Monticello is one of the best day trips. Mid-state the Wapsi and Iowa. MN’s Root River is just across the border. There are just too many rivers to mention and they’re all pretty good. But, if you only do one, the Upper Iowa is the one to do.

Backbone
The dam at Backbone is intact, but he dam at Delhi failed. The reservoir there drained and the river downstream is badly damaged. Backbone park has been closed for much of the year, however, due to damage from the earlier flood. The trout stream in the park is a mess and much of the camping area was closed.

David

Try
Try the DesMoines river or the Little Sioux (Sometimes called the “Little Sewer”) river.

These in the northern parts are beginning to freeze up along the edges.

Too bad
That’s sad to hear. There aren’t many gems left in Iowa and that’s one of them. I hope they can restore it.

Two favorite trips…

– Last Updated: Nov-29-10 1:26 PM EST –

Turkey River: Base near Elkader, Elgin to Big Spring Trout Hatchery about 16 river miles. Free (very) primitive campsite just outside the hatchery on the north river bank, and another freebee park just down stream of the Hatchery. Camp to Elkader, about a short day. Dam in Elkader, don't run. Elkader to County Park at Motor Mill, also primative. Very scenic stretches, wildlife abounds. Trout walleye and smallmouth in the river.

Boone River: Two day trips or one overnighter Webster City to Bells Mill campground, Bell Mill to the Des Moines River to Ledges STate Park.

a great resource is a book called Paddling Iowa, many trips listed there.