Camping at WalMart

Do you have
a passenger or cargo van?

Depnds on the management
When I worked at WalMart it depended on the store manager. Some WalMart managers are okay with you parking in the lot, as long as you park in the far end. But, some managers will send security to ask you to leave.

Regi

Passenger van conversion
I’ve used van conversions since the 80’s, originally bought to use for family vacations and canoe/camping trips.

The family part is now gone. So I take out the middle row of seats, and sleep on the rear sofa, which folds down into bed. I have shades on all the windows and cheap drapes (or towels) behind the front seats on a simple Walmart curtain rod.

All my canoe and camping gear is stowed full time in the van, mostly behind the rear sofa. The space between the rear sofa and the front seats is my one room “apartment”. I even have a cheap Walmart oriental rug in the apartment.

You could also do the same thing with a cargo van by just outfitting itself with a bed, etc. I’ve known several boaters who have done that, and you even have more privacy.

I tried the same thing with a minivan in the 90’s, but I found it to be too small.

Used van conversions are cheap these days because they are so outre. But some are horrible gas hogs like mine, which has a huge engine for towing trailers.

What did(do) you do for bio needs? nm

A reasonable question
I’ve known some people who use small chemical toilets in a van. I never wanted to be bothered with that.

On the road, bio needs are met the same way as if you were driving a car on any sort of trip. Find a rest stop or some woods.

At night, I use the same method in my van as I do when tenting. I have a bottle for liquid needs and I find something appropriate outdoors for solids. One of the advantages of most Walmarts and all truck stops is that they are open 24 hours and have bathrooms.

For solid “emergencies” in the van, I simply pull over and use a combination of paper towels and plastic garbage bags, which I seal up and discard later in an appropriate way. I’ll pull the shades down for privacy if for some odd reason I’m in an area with people around the van.

Never been a significant issue.

Some allow it, some don’t
Check with the specific WalMart in question. I’ve seen some where there usually are RVs parking overnight…sorry but I do not call that camping! But I’ve heard from at least one RV’er that others do not allow it.

SOME rest areas allow overnight parking, some don’t. Some even have a designated area for that, with good bathrooms. I’ve slept in the back of my truck in some rest areas. Can’t recommend it except as last resort, though. They’re almost always very noisy, with big rigs coming and going at all hours.

AAA books for each state have a section in back listing laws that affect car travel. Among those laws are any restrictions on sleeping by the roadside. If you belong to AAA, it’d be worth checking those tables before you go. A former co-worker got fined for sleeping in his car at a rest stop. In his previous home state, it was allowed in some rest areas, but in his new home state it was 100% forbidden.

Planning for all free camping
Well, every roadtripper gets into situations when they’re desperate to park somewhere, anywhere, that night. At those times, places like WalMart are a godsend, and if I ever need to sleep in their lot I will be sure to buy something from them.

But I don’t get the feeling that’s what the OP is talking about.

If an RV’er (or any roadtripper) actually plans to not pay a cent towards camping/parking fees, that is cheapskate to the max. It might be excusable if every one of those people “contained” and hauled out and properly disposed of their wastes, but you know that’s not the case! I’ve seen the used t.p. and crap often enough already. At least at WalMart, the bathrooms are open 24/7.

As for sleeping every night in WalMart lots and rest areas, it’s possible to do that legally in at least some places. But what an awful “camping” trip.

You could have a big ol’ chivaree!
And that “just married” sign might attract people you don’t want hanging around.

And I say to you Amen also
Like the poster above says, if you can’t afford the price of a camp ground, you shouldn’t buy an RV.

When Wally World first allowed RV’s to to make use of their parking areas, it was about fifteen years ago, and it was just for emergency stops for people who couldn’t locate a camp ground late at night.

But per usual every cheap skate in the country started to take advantage of it.

I am not talking about the lone driver of aa car or van who pulls in late at night, but I am talking about the cheapskate owners of those big rigs that now annually plan their trips by using Walmarts.

jack L

KOA
KOA’s are cheap, clean, offer full hookup and within minutes of the highway. When traveling we always use them while en route to our destination. Most will even deliver pizza to your RV so there is less clean up for that early rise to be on your way. They are set up for the overnight stay and have always gotten us in and to our camp site quickly so we can get to bed.

no - yours is the dumbest
I hate to burst your bubble, but here on earth there is a considerable population that would never lower themselves to camping in the oversized parking lot of a supermarket chain.

try some other options
Free camping. Rest stops. Cheap camping. These are just three that have been mentioned.

If you camp at wal-mart you’ll need to be aware of local ordinances; some of this is dictated my the municipality and not wal-mart.

If you still camp at wal-mart you’re contributing to the notion of oversized paved surfaces across the country. Not exactly a value that aligns with those who enjoy and appreciate the outdoors.

camping Walmart
Different campers/trailers can lead to different experiences - so my advice is to find an internet group for your trailer and ask about their experiences. We have a hard-sided pop-up (aliner) and people on our group have mostly had good experiences at Walmart, although not all places will allow camping and some are in dangerous areas. Be sure to ask at the customer service desk before you camp.

Good luck!

Connie

It isn’t always about being cheap
The times I stayed at a Walmart with my RV were when we were pulling in late and pulling out early. If I was paying for a campsite and some clown pulled in at 11 or 12 at night or pulled out at 6am from the site next to me I wouldn’t have been too thrilled. In my case I would have gladly thrown a few bucks to Walmart or anyone else for that matter for the convenience. I would never stay there for any length of time. Just to rest the eyes. Rest areas get crowded with suspect characters and I don’t like the idea of taking spaces from the truckers who need them more.

Gaming the system
I was shocked when some folks I know said they planned to maximize use of WalMart “camping” on an RV trip.

This is called gaming the system–taking gross advantage of something offered through goodwill (or ulterior motive) or for limited use when other options are not available.

It’s like eating lunch at Whole Foods by getting many “samples” and walking out without buying anything. The samples are just that–samples. Not intended as a free meal for slackers and cheapskates. Just because they don’t impose a numerical limit means that certain people will push the generosity to the max. Yeah, I’ve waited at the prepared-food counter as a guy kept asking for more “samples.” He racked up at least half a dozen just during the short time I was nearby, and then he moved on to another area and began asking for more “samples.” No, he didn’t buy anything.

This is abuse of privileges, and then what happens is that the privileges are taken away from everybody.

The honor system seems to bring out the dishonorable. Those self-serve campsite fees? People are “self-serving” alright.

Most Rv’rs plan ahead !!!
Jack L

amen to that

Sleeping overnight vs. "camping"
The OP simply asked about “sleeping overnight” in a Walmart parking while toting a trailer and canoes. Clearly, the OP was not proposing to spend his canoe trip in the Walmart parking lot.

I took the topic to simply be staying at Walmart (or some other free place) for one night while you are en route to somewhere else. And that’s all I’ve been talking about in my van examples. I usually have some canoe destination in mind where I may have to stay and pay tent or RV fees. But, en route – and sometimes the route is 2000 miles – I don’t like to spend money on motels or expensive campgrounds near highways just to sleep for 7 hours.

I really don’t think this topic is about spending your entire RV vacation in parking lots or ripping off the Walton family. Thus, the diatribes in that vein are misplaced, IMO.

My
My original post was about stopping over at a Walmart simply to get some zzzzzzzzs. Have little interest in paying twenty bucks for all the little services campgrounds offer. Also I don’t like the checking in process when it can be so simple just to park and sleep.

I am mostly concerned about how the store views this and possibly getting robbed or vandalized.

easy solution
If you are OK with the location visit the customer service desk.

If not move along…the next town will have a WalMart too.

Some of the posters above hijacked themselves.

I would not pay for five or six hours of zzzs either. I am not paying for all the amenities in a KOA I would never use.

I figure rest areas are for rest. I just sleep in the truck. I usually go for the ones with security on site. If they tap the window I move on or plead continued fatigue. After all driving tired is like driving drunk.